530 login authentication failed

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
stevieb

530 login authentication failed

Post by stevieb »

Hi, I keep getting " 530 login authentication failed " during the " Test " mode (attempting to Publish eventually) I double checked my settings. I have a couple of other sites which have very similar settings (they all have the same passwords)(the site URL and the remote folders are different) that ARE Published (up and running) although I had used WB 16 I'm currently using WB17. My server is Hostgator. I disabled the firewalls (Webroot, Windows, Router) but still cannot get in. I will also give Hostgator a call as well. Any help is appreciated.
BaconFries

Re: 530 login authentication failed

Post by BaconFries »

Generally when get this error message is indicates that you are using an incorrect username or password. Since you say the password is the same for all (bad idea) then I would check the username first for spelling and whether you have used uppercase or lower then do the same for the password.

I would also check whether your host uses sftp or ftp as many host have switched to sftp to use for login. Apart from the error message is there anything else in the publish log that might indicate what might be wrong. Also if you have already published successfully before then it is as mentioned a configuration with your host.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that this message is reported by the server (the software sends the username/password "AS IS"), so this usually indicates a configuration error.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Hello again,
ok, I rechecked the setting and was able to upload/publish however I currently get a 403 error forbidden page. I'm looking into the folders in my cpanel/file manager. I have the new files in the public_html folder.
sidenote: while in WB17 and I click the "Explore" button I don't see my whole tree of folders (on my server) I just see (in WB) a folder which
says [UP-DIR] with today's date ?????

forgot to mention that I'm replacing the current/old site with the new site I made with WB17. The URL for the site remains the same.
I had removed the old site from the destination folder and put it (all the files and folders) into a "temp" folder I had made, then moved all the files/folders from my new site into the existing folder (where the old site was) and got the 403 error forbidden access.

UPDATE: I changed the "remote folder" and got a bunch of folders/files one is [UP-DIR] and several [SUB-DIR] one of which is a public_html
(when I uploaded/published the 'Do not generate Search Index' box was checked in WB)
also, and my index page has a PHP extension (due to an email capture) not an HTML extension (not sure if this could be a problem)
Last edited by stevieb on Fri May 05, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The remote folder for each website is different, so only your webhost can tell you what the correct folder is.
But basically you can look where the current index.html is, and use that same folder for WWB.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

my index page has a PHP extension (due to an email capture) not an HTML extension (not sure if this could be a problem) see note above.? ?
So I have to use the index page as the remote? not the public_html?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The remote folder for index.php or index.html is the same.
Make sure you remove index.html, if you replace it with index.php otherwise the server may get confused which page to display.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I have an index.php and index.js
Also, what about the .htaccess page? (see note above)
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

.htaccess is server configuration file. It is not part related to WWB.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Ok good to know that.
Don't forget that I'm replacing the current/old site with the new site I made with WB17. The URL for the site remains the same.
I had removed the old site from the destination folder and put it (all the files and folders) into a "temp" folder I had made, then moved all the new files/folders from my new site into the existing folder (where the old site was) and got the 403 error forbidden access.
I changed the "remote folder" and got a bunch of folders/files one is [UP-DIR] and several [SUB-DIR] one of which is a public_html
(when I uploaded/published the 'Do not generate Search Index' box was checked in WB)
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

update: I tried moving some files/folders around in my cpanel and got this as my index page:
function submitcontact()
{
Last edited by stevieb on Fri May 05, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It looks like the server is trying to use 'index.js', instead of 'index.php'. This is a server configuration issue.
Maybe you have accidentally remove .htaccess from the server?

The remote folder is different for each website so there is no way for me to know the exact location without having access to the sever.
But if you use the same remote folder as you have previously used then everything should be ok.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

thanks for getting back. Can I/should I remove the index.js ? There is an .htaccess page (an older one) should I create a new .htaccess page? and I did use the same remote folder as I had previously used.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

This is a reason why i'm a firm believer in having all your CSS files in a separate CSS folder and JS files in a JS folder. All html files are in the root folder and everything is neat and tidy. If your file is generating a index.js file then it is needed.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can control the output in Tools -> Options -> HTML.
To publish the JavaScript in a separate folder, add JS in Tools -> Options -> Publish -> File Type output folder.

I cannot help you with the server configuration (.htaccess).
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

crispy68 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm This is a reason why i'm a firm believer in having all your CSS files in a separate CSS folder and JS files in a JS folder. All html files are in the root folder and everything is neat and tidy. If your file is generating a index.js file then it is needed.
Thanks for getting back. The entire site was uploaded to the server (into the cpanel) I added the js in Tools -> Options -> Publish -> File Type output folder (in WB17). So would it be better to delete the site on the server then Re-upload the entire site so all the js files go to the appropriate folder OR just create a js folder in my cpanel and move (one by one) the js files into the js folder (there is a lot of them) ? Thanks again.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Pablo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:56 pm You can control the output in Tools -> Options -> HTML.
To publish the JavaScript in a separate folder, add JS in Tools -> Options -> Publish -> File Type output folder.

I cannot help you with the server configuration (.htaccess).
Thanks for getting back. The entire site was uploaded to the server (into the cpanel) I added the js in Tools -> Options -> Publish -> File Type output folder (in WB17). So would it be better to delete the site on the server then Re-upload the entire site so all the js files go to the appropriate folder OR just create a js folder in my cpanel and move (one by one) the js files into the js folder (there is a lot of them) ? Thanks again.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Yes, it is better to remove the files from the server. But not .htaccess file and/or other server related files.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Pablo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:34 am Yes, it is better to remove the files from the server. But not .htaccess file and/or other server related files.
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
Last edited by stevieb on Fri May 05, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

stevieb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:21 pm
crispy68 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm This is a reason why i'm a firm believer in having all your CSS files in a separate CSS folder and JS files in a JS folder. All html files are in the root folder and everything is neat and tidy. If your file is generating a index.js file then it is needed.
UPDATE: I did make the separate js folder and that seems to be working fine. ( www.witch1797.com I had made for someone) I'm having some trouble with the navigational header with a few links (they're going to the error_404 page) HOME and CONTACT are fine. I checked in WB but I'm not seeing where I went wrong. Any ideas?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I cannot help you with .htaccess configuration, but did you upload all files?
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Pablo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:46 pm I cannot help you with .htaccess configuration, but did you upload all files?
Hi, I uploaded the entire site
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In that case, the files are either in the wrong folder or there is a server configuration problem.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

UPDATE: THANK YOU Pablo & Crispy68. Everything is up and running! GO WYSIWYG! This software is great! There's sooo much more I have yet to learn about it. Thanks again.