optimizing video shooting and still for mobile phones

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
brianluce

optimizing video shooting and still for mobile phones

Post by brianluce »

If you're shooting video that's 99% for viewing on mobile phones, what's the ideal aspect ratio? Many sites say 16:9 but mobile devices mainly display in portrait mode. Please help
jerryco

Re: optimizing video shooting and still for mobile phones

Post by jerryco »

Maybe it also matters what you want to film. I don't think we would go to the cinema to see an upright presentation. Maybe you should go with 16:9 and simply remind users to rotate their device?
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
brianluce

Post by brianluce »

My assumption is most don't bother to rotate the phone and just hold it in portrait mode. So I'm wondering if it's best to originate in something like a 1x1 or 9x16 aspect instead of 16x9.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

I'm wondering if it's best to originate in something like a 1x1 or 9x16 aspect instead of 16x9
You could..., but then smarter people (like myself) would rotate the phone to view a full screen version, and be disappointed that it does rotate but remains the same 1:1 format. LOL
brianluce

Post by brianluce »

MGD4me wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:59 am
I'm wondering if it's best to originate in something like a 1x1 or 9x16 aspect instead of 16x9
You could..., but then smarter people (like myself) would rotate the phone to view a full screen version, and be disappointed that it does rotate but remains the same 1:1 format. LOL
Pleasing smart people is a failed strategy in all endeavors. You guys always find something.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Why not distribute a USB stick for people with a USB connection on their TV or disc player? You could set up a form on your website so people can order it? :lol:
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!