Site Search feature... I normally use 'add results to another page'

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
alan_sh

Re: Site Search feature... I normally use 'add results to another page'

Post by alan_sh »

My sites (www.penninescouts.org.uk is an example) have the results on another page. Feel free to try it out and see.

I followed Pablo's instructions in the help and it worked OK.

Alan
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

wwonderfull wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 am
Oh no... I was afraid that it had to be on the same page. bummer. Most websites don't have searches like that though. Strange.
hmm.... so there is no way to have the results on another page (but a page that has the same design/theme as the rest of the site?)
Was trying to use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6YjoHLEwM
There is a dedicated option to show results in an inline frame the 2nd option. As that is an old video more features had been added so the inline frame can now directly show the result no need for linking page.
So, with inline, it doesn't have to be on the same page?
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

The searchbox by default does not have the option to add objects or inline frames from Another Page. In my responsive web design I preffer layout grid more than any inline frame. But many people use many methods to get the same result so totally depended on them.

@alan has a solution if you like. You can visit his website and see. Nice and classic. Looks beautiful also.
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

wwonderfull wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:26 pm
The searchbox by default does not have the option to add objects or inline frames from Another Page. In my responsive web design I prefer layout grid more than any inline frame. But many people use many methods to get the same result so totally depended on them.

@alan has a solution if you like. You can visit his website and see. Nice and classic. Looks beautiful also.
So is there any way to get the searchbox to show results on 'other page' that I can design or at least have it match the theme with the rest of the site?
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

Pablo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:21 am
But I'm trying to get the results to show in another page. So I select 'show results in other page'.
Did you read the instructions in the help?
Yeah, I did. I know there is an option in the drop down menu (show results in other page)...

Problem with that is that I can't make that results page match the rest of the theme of my site. I'm not sure if I can edit that results page in WB to make it consistent with my design.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

You can use a master frame or a master page on the search page to make it go inside the website meaning with the menu and footer.
If you need more advanced search boxes which is modern and fantastic, then see my post here https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... hp?t=94900
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

wwonderfull wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:42 am You can use a master frame or a master page on the search page to make it go inside the website meaning with the menu and footer.
If you need more advanced search boxes which is modern and fantastic, then see my post here https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... hp?t=94900
When you say "search page", I'm not sure what you mean. I have the searchbox in the header of every page.

Will that work?

Are you saying to add the searchbox in the header using the master page/frame set up?
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

Yes there is no need to use so many search boxes. You can put the search box on master frame with a responsive design and then you can use a layout grid on the masterframe empty and invisible as it has not content so other pages wont have any problem. But when you search something you can target the result on that grid which will show in any page. You can also use a modal too. any page you search the master fram is showing the search result, as the search box is inside the master frame or master page. Just like a normal menu.

More about how to use and what is master frame.
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/master_frame.html
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

This is all documented in the help (Press F1 -> Search -> put search in the search topic). I've followed the instructions and it works. I have the master page with the search box in it and I get the results to show on a separate page. I've copied the help text and added my comments in italics.

Show results in another page. This is the option I want. So follow the instructions below
You can use this option to display the results in another page. This can be useful if you want the results page to have the same design as the rest of your website.

Step 1
- Add a new page to the project (for example 'search_results'). So, create a new page. Add your master page here (but see notes at the end)
- Add an inline frame to the new page. This is where the results will be displayed.
- Add a 'Site Search' object.
- Select 'Show results in an Inline Frame'
- Click the drop-down box to the right of that and select the name of the Inline Frame
Note that now you will also be able to search on the result page.

Important: make sure that the Inline frame display an initial page. Some browsers will not display the page if there is no content in the inline frame.
For example: you can create a new internal page that displays some text like 'This area will display the search results'. Then set that page in the 'Link to' property of the Inline frame, so that page will initially be displayed.

Step 2
- Go back to the page you were working on. This is my Master Page
- Add a 'Site Search' object.
- Select 'Show results in another page'
- Click the 'Settings' and select the 'search_results' page.

----------------------
Notes. For my search results page (see step 1 above), I actually created a second Master Page (copied the original) and removed the Site Search object. I found that if I did a site search while on the search results page, it didn't work. No idea why, but I didn't feel it was needed there anyway.

This works OK for me - look at www.penninescouts.org.uk and you will see a site search on every page (apart from the site search results page).

Also, remember before you add this object to your page, make sure you have enabled 'Generate Search Index' in Menu->Tools->Search Index otherwise the search index will not be created and the search will not work! It says this in the help text!!!

Alan
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

kreemerz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 am
wwonderfull wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:42 am You can use a master frame or a master page on the search page to make it go inside the website meaning with the menu and footer.
When you say "search page", I'm not sure what you mean. I have the searchbox in the header of every page.

Will that work?

Are you saying to add the searchbox in the header using the master page/frame set up?
You can see the advanced use of site search on this website showcase thread https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 52#p474552
And it is responsive...