Transferring to a new computer

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
AlanT

Transferring to a new computer

Post by AlanT »

I have a web site that I maintain from my laptop. I have acquired a new laptop and want to maintain the web site from the new one. I use the built in ftp program in WYSIWYG and it works perfectly. At least it does in my old laptop. I have copied into the edit publish screen the Type, Description, URL, Host, Username, Password, Remote folder exactly into the new laptop ftp program. Now when I upload the pages, it loads ok but when I open the web site, there is nothing there, yet if I open the web site on the old laptop, they are there. On the new laptop I opened the explore button and saw that I now have two public.html files. One has all my new uploaded files in and one has all the old files that have accumulated over several years. I tried deleting the old files but it still left me with two public.html files. I dont see how that can be right. Everything still works fine on my old laptop. How do I get the new laptop to work? If it means deleting everything, thats ok as I am completely rebuilding my new web site.
jerryco

Re: Transferring to a new computer

Post by jerryco »

You say "public.html files"? Usually there is a directory called public_html and in that would normally be all files you upload to it if you set that as root.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

I think WWB assumes public_html as the root folder on your server, so when you set up the ftp connection in the publish section you shouldn't include that in the remote folder entry area.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

bkjohns wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:08 pm I think WWB assumes public_html as the root folder on your server, so when you set up the ftp connection in the publish section you shouldn't include that in the remote folder entry area.
I'm pretty sure WWB doesn't assume public_html is the root folder as I have to specify it in my Publish setting for remote folder.

EDIT:
I just did a test and it still works leaving it blank!!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that WWB does not 'assume' that public_html is the root.
The 'root' is determined by the settings of the FTP login account (on the server).
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

Thanks for that clarification Pablo.
AlanT

Post by AlanT »

Thank you all for the comments. I have public_html as the "Remote Folder". I published and it all uploaded correctly but I click on "View published web site" and it does not open. I am doing something wrong and I really can not see what it is.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

What you can try is this:

1. Find out from your FTP provider, where the file should live. With mine (LCN.COM), it's in the 'web' sub folder. With others, as you have found, it's public_html.
2. Using some FTP program like FileZilla, connect to your ftp server and have a look (Filezilla is very visual) and ensure the files are actually in the correct folder. If they are not, then fix that issue.
3. Using a browser directly, connect to your "www.myserver.com" (don't add on /public_html or whatever it is supposed to be) and see what you can see. If the files are in the right place, your web site should come alive.

Alan