Preview not working for one page - index.html

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
Phoenix

Preview not working for one page - index.html

Post by Phoenix »

OK, I have moved over to this forum as I have now exhausted everything I can to try and solve this problem myself.

The problem is that when I preview the index page, the graphics move and insert themselves in a vertical line to the left and the background image disappears. Despite this, when it is published and then uploaded to the site, the page is fine (at present). it is just the preview problem I cannot resolve. I will also add at this point that the rest of the project remains unaffected.

I have done the following steps.

1. Created a new page, free of all external code
2 First arranged the background then published - that was ok
3. Then loaded the header graphic (no code other than that provided by the program)
4. Published it and previewed it - no problem
5. Placed the script for a cookie policy alert, published it - no problem.

Nothing else was or since has been added. Saved everything and closed the program.

When I come back to the program, open the index page, the graphics have been "mangled" and the background has disappeared. This has happened since Friday 25th when I last used it and when I opened it on Saturday 26th that was when the problem was first noticed.

The next step was I scanned all 4 drives to check for anything that might have landed on the machine, that was all clear.

Finally after doing all the above, I uninstalled the program, cleaned the registry and any files left over (apart from the project files) and re-installed. Made no difference at all.

So, once more I put it out to anyopne who can possibly suggest the cause of the problem.

Phoenix
Pablo

Re: Preview not working for one page - index.html

Post by Pablo »

To be able to help you, I need a DEMO project (.wbs file) so I can see all your settings.

I do not need the complete project because that will only take more time to figure out what you have done.
Basically, I just need a small project with one page and object(s) that are relevant to your question.

For further details about how to share a project file, please see this FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for the assist, as I have said in one of the other forums, the page by itself has not as yet caused a problem but I will send you the link. I have included seperately, the other two files that were added to the page, a stats script and an extension. Nothing else was added.

To repeat, the file I have on the correct project, when previewed, tends to line all the graphics over to the left ond vertically down the page. The rest of my thwarted attempts you can see in the above thread.

https://myaccount.dropsend.com/storage/ ... ]=18722753

Phoenix
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

OK, this is the link you need for the test project, this one seems ok at the moment but there again so did the original. I have already uploaded twice today and the index file remains untouched but the preview is still messed. The page if you want to see it online is https://www.independent-advice-net.uk. It has been kept simple for those with sight disabilities.

The download link for the test is below
https://www.independent-advice-net.uk/d ... exproj.rar

I used a sttats script and the bubble cookie for ease in this page as well but not included with this file.

Thanks for the assist

Phoenix
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I do not see a problem in your project or the published/preview page. For me, it looks exactly the same in the workspace and browser.
Maybe there is a problem with your browser?

Note:
The filename of the background image is invalid (not web-safe). This may confuse your browser.
Related FAQ: https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... .php?t=131
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

My mistake, in the real project it's named background,jpg I forgot to change it. As far as browsers are concerned, I have five browser available for checking previews and all of them show the same, so it is unlikely to be just one, they would all have had to have the same or similar fault to cause the messed preview. I used wysiwyg web builder because the site was going to be kept pretty simple, perhaps I should have stayed with Dreamweaver :(

Thanks for your attempt at trying to find the fault, I shall keep on looking, I hate things that I can't resolve as far as computers are concerned.

Phoenix
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It seems to work for me, so this can only be a configuration related issue.
What do you see on your computer?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

On the computer is where the messed up preview occurred. Anyway despite that, when you gave me the hint about the naming of the graphic, when I first uploaded it to see if it would be ok ages ago, the name then was hope.jpg. I then reduced it in weight (mb>kb) and renamed it so I would remember man on something or rather and tried it and was happy with the result.

Sometime later, I had a problem and the machine went down, so I reinstalled the backuo and went back to normal. Never checked the image file at the time. Now the machine went down on the 22nd, reastored on the 24th. This is possibly where the file may have been imported back with the long stupid file name (was done as a reminder at the time). So I cleared all the old images of the background out of the image folder, reloaded the background image named as background and voila, problem disappeared.

If it remains as it is, then the problem was down to the stupidly name file which, while it was cganged, was probably re-inserted after the backup was restored. Keeping my fingers crossed to seee if it remains stable. One thing just occurred to me, the loading on the site went slow, that should have given me a prompt that the image was not right but, there you go.

Thank you again for the help and assistance and to all the ideas that came out ov this. I will let you know if it is something you can m ark as resolved in a couple of days.

Phoenix
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well, thast didn't last long !!

Back to the old problem again, have left you a screenshot to collect to see what it looks like on the computer. On the site it is fine, nothing out of place.

https://www.independent-advice-net.uk/d ... enshot.png

It will open on your screen as soon as you press enter.

Phoenix
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It looks like the style sheet is missing or blocked.

Maybe local content blocked on your computer? For example, maybe local HTML files are blocked by your firewall?
or maybe there is a problem with your browser's cache?

Note that there is no difference between the files for local preview and publishing. In both cases the exact same files will be generated.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well at long last the problem is definitely solved.

I have some folders in the project to mark the existence of those created outside the project as additional content. They were produced as the content in thos folders could not be produced by WYSIWYG Webbuilder. Unfortunately, somehow or other. three index pages and similar css files were produced within some of the folders. As everyone knows you really cannot have more than o ne index in one project. The folders were intentionally left empty so that the project would reflect the existence of the folders but pages and items therein not built by the software.

Anyhow, once those empty index and accompanying css files were deleted, the project resumed its normal preview behaviour.

Basdicall my fault for not checking what I thought were empty folders. And, once more, thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Phoenix