Publishing information

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
pfgreig

Publishing information

Post by pfgreig »

Hi all, as a newbie to this I am having some issue with publishing....I know this might seem silly to many but...
What 'type' do I select? (there are four FTP choices, I'm not sure which one.
What is meant by 'Description'
In the 'URL' box do I enter my domain?...should it be prefixed? (i.e, WWW, HTTP etc)

Thank you
Paul.
zinc

Re: Publishing information

Post by zinc »

Hey Paul;

This should help you

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/publish.html
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Previously asked at the following see answers by Pablo and myself. Note only your host can provide you with the correct information to enter.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=93504&p=467144#p467144
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Thanks all, Baconfries, I accept that I have already asked for this information, sadly a computer meltdown occurred.
I am still unsure of which of the four options I should choose.
zinc

Post by zinc »

pfgreig wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am Thanks all, Baconfries, I accept that I have already asked for this information, sadly a computer meltdown occurred.
I am still unsure of which of the four options I should choose.
As Bacon Fries explained the best thing to do is sit on front the machine with options ready and then call the ISP and ask the support team to talk you through while you give them the on screen options available to you within this software and they can help you through it. The help you require in this instance cannot come from here or the software as it is specific to your ISP.

Hope this is clear(er).
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Ok thanks.
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

My ISP is not into personal calls, I did get all the required information but when I enter it into the 'Publish' box FTP under TLS/SSL (Auth TLS explicit) and 'Test' all I get is a heap of lines of text ending with '331 user OK, Password required, Pass **** 530 authentication failed.
zinc

Post by zinc »

pfgreig wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:49 am My ISP is not into personal calls, I did get all the required information but when I enter it into the 'Publish' box FTP under TLS/SSL (Auth TLS explicit) and 'Test' all I get is a heap of lines of text ending with '331 user OK, Password required, Pass **** 530 authentication failed.
Can you post a screenshot of your FTP settings from WWB?
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

When do you get when you use type FTP (Standard File Transfer Protocol)?
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Exactly the same response....as for all the FTP options
zinc

Post by zinc »

pfgreig wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:18 am Exactly the same response....as for all the FTP options
Did you try to switch to SFTP?
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Not sure how to insert a screen shot... :oops:
zinc

Post by zinc »

pfgreig wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am Not sure how to insert a screen shot... :oops:
Take your screenshot (Print Screen Key)
go to PAINT
Paste it
Save it

Then upload it to

https://imgbb.com/

Copy the address and paste it as post.
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Many thanks to all who have assisted me in this matter...the issue has been traced to a randomly generated password that was updated (changed) each time I logged onto my hosting platform...all is ok now...thanks again.

Paul F Greig
Queensland
Australia.
zinc

Post by zinc »

pfgreig wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am Many thanks to all who have assisted me in this matter...the issue has been traced to a randomly generated password that was updated (changed) each time I logged onto my hosting platform...all is ok now...thanks again.

Paul F Greig
Queensland
Australia.
Way to go Paul!
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Folks...just when I thought I was doing ok.... :oops:
I have nutted out how to publish my website but things are not going as I expect.

I have slightly modified a template in WYSIWYG and when I attempt to publish it all seems to go ok with a 'Publishing successful' notification, when I click on 'Preview' it also appears ok but when I actually go to my website it only displays all the files in 'Index of/" What am I doing wrong? I don't understand the file naming or locating conventions...and it appears not much else :shock:
Thanks
Paul.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

You might have set the wrong folder to publish to or did not include index file.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you publish the files to the correct folder?
Does your website have an index page?
What information is in the publish log?
What is the URL of the page?
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Thanks for your replies.
Not having the correct index file appears to be the issue.
The url is www.paulgreig.com
Please take a look.
Obviously I have a lot to learn here but I thought WYSIWYG Web Builder would automatically create the index.html file when publishing.
I have the publishing location set at;
URL; https://www.paulgreig.com
and the folder is /public_html
Instead all I am seeing is a list of all the files.
As you can see there are three index files in the list.
index.htm.css
index.htm.html
index.htm.js
Note that I have been blindly 'dabbling' in website creation for some time, many of the files listed are now redundant but I am cautious in deleting them.

Appreciate any assistance.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Index files should not have a double extension. Only "index.htm" or "index.html" or "index.php" will invoke loading of a page.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

Thank you jerryco, ok, I understand that but I dont get how or where the index file actually gets created...do I need to set that?...if so where do I do this?

Paul.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

When you first start a new project you can see the index.html file on the right side. That page will be your front page always.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Obviously I have a lot to learn here but I thought WYSIWYG Web Builder would automatically create the index.html file when publishing.
It does when you open the program and look to the right you will see the "Site Manager" this will show the first page of your site / project, it is pre-named to index. Now, you do not need to rename this as there is no need to, there is also no need to add any page extension to it such as .html, .htm, .asp or even .php (this is preset by the program) as you can later set this in Page Properties or even capitalise it to Index it should always be just index. Now once published locally or to your host the page extension will be added to what you set in Page Properties.

Adding other page(s), now the same applies, you do not need to add any page extension to the page name but initially Web Builder will give the new page an unique name like page1. You can easily rename this to something else by selecting the name and hitting the F2 key. Or right click the pagename and select Rename Page from the context menu. Next you can specify the new name. Press Enter to save the new page name or Esc to cancel renaming

It is also best practice to always use lowercase when naming they be websafe this means they should not contain spaces or invalid characters or start with numbers see the following on this
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131
Note that I have been blindly 'dabbling' in website creation for some time, many of the files listed are now redundant but I am cautious in deleting them.
I would suggest that you login to your host where you should be able to check the dates / time of the files of when they were created. Then create a "New" folder and copy files to it before deleting this will ensure they backed up just incase they are still required.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

I always use "Show page extensions in Site Manager" in Tools > Options > General.
pfgreig

Post by pfgreig »

This a great help, it recognizes that not all of us are 'computer literate'....I'll digest all the info you all have provided and see how I go.
I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot of seemingly silly questions in the future so don't go too far. :roll:

Paul.