2 Menu Bars

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
ududek

2 Menu Bars

Post by ududek »

Hi,
On my master page I have 2 menu bars, one in the header and one in the footer.
The problem that I seem to be having is that when I select an item in either menu bar and then select an item from the other menu bar, I am presented with “file not found” although the menu item is linked to a different existing page.

When looking at the address bar while in “preview” view, it seems that once a menu has focus it isn’t released when the other menu bar is selected.

E.G. selected from header menu bar:
file:///C:/Users/Wildo/AppData/Local/Temp/preview/Nursery/Puppies.html

then when I select from the footer menu bar immediately after:
file:///C:/Users/Wildo/AppData/Local/Temp/preview/Nursery/Retirees/Wildoak-Retirees.html
rather than: file:///C:/Users/Wildo/AppData/Local/Temp/preview/Retirees/Wildoak-Retirees.html

Can you advise how I can fix this error?

Thank you.
crispy68

Re: 2 Menu Bars

Post by crispy68 »

Honestly, it is very hard to say anything meaningful about it without seeing what you've done. Can you create a demo project that we can download so that we can see your set up?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

As crispy68 reply please provide a copy of your project this is the .wbs and not a link to your site. Please read the following before sharing.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you did not select 'preview entire website'?
or maybe the master page is in a different folder?
The master page should be in the same folder as the page, otherwise links will point to the wrong folder.
ududek

Post by ududek »

I will strip out some of the pages and look for a public server to post. Since this is a rewrite of an existing website, until I get this working I can remove the existing.

Thank you for your assistance and update once all is in place for your review.
ududek

Post by ududek »

Thank you all for your guidance to get me to this point of what you need to troubleshoot the issue out on the server. It is probably more than obvious that I am new to this application and forum.

Although I will list the individual issues, in general the issues are with the 2 menu bars (located in header & footer) on my master-page. So that you can see the issues, I have left a few folders and pages in the wbs so that it can be tracked through. From what I could see, it looks like the images on the pages didn't transfer over thought there are place holders on the respective pages. This also includes the Logo on the master-page.

URL to the wbs file: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/wild ... Index.html

The issues are as follows:
1. Is there a way to prevent the "index" from showing if the user selects a folder name that has listed pages rather than a page - e.g. "Boys"
2. The most frequented items on the menu bar are in the header. When the user selects from the header menu bar than selects from the footer menu bar they are presented with "file not found".
3. If user selects from the footer menu bar first all the items' labels on both the header and footer menu bars start fluttering and it is impossible to select anything else from either menu bar. Though I did notice if you manage to select "home" just at the right time while it is fluttering in the header menu bar, the fluttering does stop, and you can select from either menu bar.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I definitely see the issue. There are errors in the browser.

#1 - you have the link set a page called 'boys' but there is no page called boys in the project only a subfolder. You can't link to a folder like that. Change the link to External web address and for the URL put a # sign. Now it will just stay put.

#2 - Your master page is in the root folder with your index page. Your other pages are in subfolders. Your menu will use relative links which must be in the same folder (or same level). When you visit a page in the subfolder and click the link, it is looking for folder and page in that subfolder which is why you are getting page not found. I do not use subfolders so someone else here on the forum may be able to chime in on how best to make this work.

#3 - you have page redirect set on your pages. You need to go to the page properties --> Miscellaneous tab and set Redirect to: do not redirect.
ududek

Post by ududek »

crispy68 -

Thank you for your input. Suggested fix for #1 and #3 seems to have worked.

I am still stumped on #2 getting it to work. When check the page properties in the header & footer menus, the page link to item "nursery" in header and the page links to items in the footer menu are set up the same. The specific pages referenced are all in subfolders.

Hopefully as you noted, maybe someone on the forum familiar with subfolders will chime in.