Hyperlinks, events, scripts

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
saxodreng

Hyperlinks, events, scripts

Post by saxodreng »

Hi,

I am new to Wysiwyg website builder and for that matter website building.

I want to make a management website that acts as a menu for me internally.

The idea was to make a visualized menu over the infrastructure location of racks, switches, Servers and so on.

The menu is designed like the racks with icons of the content.

my challenge is now how to link the icons to:

webpages like ILO2 & ILO4 for HP - only to be started in fx. the old Internet explorer - like https://10.10.10.10
external exe: putty.exe -ssh admin@10.10.10.10
external exe: Powershell.exe

I have spent hours trying, searching the forum, google and so on - it just seems to me that it is not just that easy with Wysiwyg Website Builder.

Can anyone help with a "How To" ??

Thanks in advance

Regards
TT
Pablo

Re: Hyperlinks, events, scripts

Post by Pablo »

In HTML, it is not possible to trigger an external application.
It is not a limitation of WWB, but browser do not allow this for security reasons.
saxodreng

Post by saxodreng »

But Javasript & wbscript can

Can WWB trigger external scripts from "Event" ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Yes, you can run JavaScript: Set the event action to 'run JavaScript'
saxodreng

Post by saxodreng »

Yes I got that far, but then what ?
Where to put the javascripts ? - OS folder? / object in project ? or? and how to link to them ?

I am quite new to making websites - so please bear with me :)
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You asked:
Can WWB trigger external scripts from "Event" ?
The answer is yes you can run JavaScript via events.
The exact code depends on what you are trying to do. There is no generic answer for that.

However you cannot run executables. This is not allowed by browsers.
saxodreng

Post by saxodreng »

Where to put the javascripts ? - OS folder? / object in project ? or? and how to link to them ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that using JavaScript requires some programming knowledge, this is not something I can teach you.
All scripts are different so there is no generic way to describe for how to use all scripts.
But this may be helpful:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/add_html.html

If you need further assistance then please describe what kind of code and files you have.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

As already mentioned you can use the following https://www.wysiwebbuilder.com/add_html.html You can also insert the code in Page HTML and for external files you can use the File Publisher Object. You should also note that generally there is no help/assistance with using code or external scripts as it is understood if you wish to use you yourself understand how to use and how and where to insert correctly for it to work.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

saxodreng wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:29 pm Where to put the javascripts ? - OS folder? / object in project ? or? and how to link to them ?
FWIW:
In the Event window > Javascript: you could enter e.g. nameofjavascript function();

Then in the Page HTML > Before </body> e.g. you could have:
<script type="text/javascript">
function nameofjavascript()
{

your javascript code

}
</script>
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

saxodreng wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:40 pm Yes I got that far, but then what ?

I hope you can bear some learning from w3schools. https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
this will give you basic knowledge on how things function and work even with events.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

wwonderfull wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:56 pm
saxodreng wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:40 pm Yes I got that far, but then what ?

I hope you can bear some learning from w3schools. https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
this will give you basic knowledge on how things function and work even with events.
I got the impression that the OP already knows Javascript.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

I got the impression that the OP already knows Javascript.
True @wwbman, but as @pablo said All scripts are different so there is no generic way to describe for how to use all scripts.
I my self some times find my self in similar circumstances when embedding scripts :D
saxodreng

Post by saxodreng »

Thanks for taking your time to answer - although I think you read my post as a hardcore programmer and not as a user.

My challenge is not the scripts, but the understanding on how to use them with WWB.

I've put a simple javascript in a subfolder in where my final HTML file will be - the script executes notepad.exe

in object properties --> event --> onclick - action: Javascript - then what - nowhere to link to external javasript files only just a few pre-defined commands. I can although type in something, but what is the format here? - (i am new to this)

In File publisher I can add files an folders to the project, but how to link to those from objects ??

Please someone !!

Thanks in advance
/TT
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

in object properties --> event --> onclick - action: Javascript - then what
Enter the name of the JavaScript function in the input field. The choices in the drop down menu are just suggestions....

Also, if you are using an external file for the script then you also need to add a include link to the script. But of course this is not specific to the software.
In File publisher I can add files an folders to the project, but how to link to those from objects ??
Your script links the file to the object, this is not difference than in any other web designs tools.

In my opinion, you are over thinking this.
WYSIWYG Web Builder is design tool that generates standard HTML code, so all code that works elsewhere will also work in WWB.
saxodreng

Post by saxodreng »

Thanks Pablo,

I know that WWB is just another website HTML building tool - but it has a nice level of userfriendly access to new "users"

I was looking for some help - directing me the way to input formats - like how to type in the right format for calling external java scripts or how to access the javascripts defined in "File publisher"

As I said - i am new to HTML and website building. Some time in life - we have all been newbies, and we need someone to tell us how to tie the ends....
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

it is impossible to help you if we do not know what code you are trying to add.
Every script work different, so there are no generic instructions, other than the ones I already gave you.

But please understand that we cannot teach you how to program. You will need some basic programming knowledge to add code to the page.