Sticky, Popup, Floating, Navigation Widget Guidance

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
LJLachance

Sticky, Popup, Floating, Navigation Widget Guidance

Post by LJLachance »

I'm current, having just purchased WB17. Not a designer and I use WB for my personal genealogy website which continues to grow in size.

Now I am adding a single page (so far at least) story that is ridiculously long. Bookmarks will work well for navigation of the page BUT, what I really want to do is use a small image, like a paperclip or some other image of my choice, and have it float on the screen, like left middle or lower left, or some other constant location, as the user scrolls down the page.

When they click the image a popup with a list/menu of the bookmarks would appear so that they can navigate to that spot on the page quickly. The popup would automatically disappear when they either mouse out OR simply click to get where they are going. I don't want it to cover the full page, just a box is fine.

robmarsh3 recently posted a link to his site https://www.capitolsquash.co.uk where, at the lower left, there is a clickable popup for his cookie management. This is the effect I'm trying to achieve with, same page, bookmarks but I'd want the image to float as the user scrolls.

What I'm hoping for is someone to give me an idea of the best way to achieve this, IF it is even possible.

As an aside, WB keeps getting better all the time and the support of this forum group is remarkable. Thanks to Pablo and everyone else for the continued support.

Larry Lachance
Pablo

Re: Sticky, Popup, Floating, Navigation Widget Guidance

Post by Pablo »

what I really want to do is use a small image, like a paperclip or some other image of my choice, and have it float on the screen, like left middle or lower left, or some other constant location, as the user scrolls down the page.
You can use a sticky layer for this.
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/morelayers.html
When they click the image a popup with a list/menu of the bookmarks would appear so that they can navigate to that spot on the page quickly. The popup would automatically disappear when they either mouse out OR simply click to get where they are going. I don't want it to cover the full page, just a box is fine.
You can either use a dialog or modal layer to implement this.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Thanks for the direction Pablo, much appreciated. I've got the sticky layer for the floating image working great. I find the modal and dialog layers to both work as well, with the dialog layer easier to work with BUT... now the question. Is there some way to use the dialog layer without the header block (with the built in text and close button) at the top OR is there a means to move that header to the bottom of the dialog layer? I will continue to experiment with the idea of using a responsive sidebar menu as well. If I can determine how to make it appear only by clicking the link from my floating image. Thanks again, progress in the works.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you use a modal layer then there is no header.