dual content and .html file extensions

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Marine Divers

dual content and .html file extensions

Post by Marine Divers »

Ok knew id be back soon with more problems:

Problem1: i use nibbler to do a site test, it reported i was showing dual content with and without the www.
Solution1 Contact my hosting, they put in a redirect in the htqcess, issue solved.

Problem 2, reported that i should try not to have my pages showing .html extensions
Solution 2, Contact hosting, they changed some code in the htacess file, problem solved.

NOW, this is where the problem starts,

because i cant' get a responsive site to look how i want i have 2 versions of my site. There is code in my full width site to skip to mobile version when it detects the screen size.

the updated htacess file seem to interrupt the script in my skip to mobile redirect. the only way i can get my mobile site back is to move the htacces file out of my main public html folder. And then i loose problems 1 and 2 as listed above.

Here is what there technical support came back with:

When .htaccess moved to the public_html folder it interferes with one of your scripts as per below:

Issue now is this command isn't being read:

<script>
if (document.location.search.indexOf("skipmobile") >= 0) {
document.cookie = "skipmobile=1";
}
else if ((document.location.hostname.match(/\.mobi$/) || screen.width < 699)
&& document.cookie.indexOf("skipmobile") == -1)
{
document.location = "mobile/";

Unfortunately, we'll not be able to assist you with the codes please contact your developer to rectify this issue why .htaccess interfering with your script/code.

Any Ideas
Jonny
divingincyprus.net
Marine Divers

Re: dual content and .html file extensions

Post by Marine Divers »

forgot to mention is just returned the mobile version with a 404, but the main site still worked with the dual content and the.html extensions not showing
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I cannot give you support on .htaccess or custom scripts.
But maybe this will be helpful?
https://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/pageredirect.html
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Please note that the use of a .htacces file is unrelated to the software it is a server file. The script / code you have shown is missing the closing tag </script> Is this script part of the program or sourced externally? if from a external source then in general no help is provided. When you see a 404 it can indicate the file / page is missing or cannot be found on the server it can also mean a broken link(s). To try and resolve the 404 ensure that all links are valid and all files are on the server.
Marine Divers

Post by Marine Divers »

yes i beleive it was an external code that i found possibly 8 years ago.

at the moment ive just left it where there is a redirect to stop showing dual content.

i can live with the .htlm extensions at the end of page title, or do i really get penalized in seo for this.

thanks again for your input.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

i can live with the .htlm extensions at the end of page title, or do i really get penalized in seo for this.
I personally have not found anything stating having the page extensions showing will penalize your SEO. I would not worry about it. If this was the case, millions of sites would be dinged.