.html extensions

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Marine Divers

.html extensions

Post by Marine Divers »

i ran a site test on nibbler and it gave me this as something to address: can i do anything about it? Will it make a difference in SEO?

Avoid use of file extensions wherever possible. File extensions appear at the end of web addresses, and have several negative effects. They make the address harder to remember or type (particularly for non-technical users), and can reveal the underlying technology of the website making it very slightly more vulnerable to hackers. They also tie the implementation of the website to a specific technology, which can make subsequent migration of URLs difficult. Consider URL rewriting as an effective and transparent means of creating appropriate URLs.

Thanks in Advance
Jonny
www.divingincyprus.net
Pablo

Re: .html extensions

Post by Pablo »

You will need to configure this on the server via .htaccess.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

In my opinion, having a filing extension has no bearing on SEO and really...why would it? It's the relative content you have on your site that Google is worried about and is the biggest factor. Some will say it is easier to read...which is true I guess but is there really a huge difference between:

MyWebsite.com/order-now
and
MyWebsite.com/order-now.html

5 characters: dot + html

In reality, until Google changes something and says this is the way it needs to be going forward, I wouldn't worry about it too much. More vunerable to hackers? If they are good hacker, they don't care if it's .html, .php, etc. They will hack it regardless.

Heck, go to Walmart's site and click any links and look at the url's. Those by no means are easy to read or remember. :D

I tried googling this and really couldn't find anything particularly addressing this subject.
Marine Divers

Post by Marine Divers »

Thanks for the great feedback as always. Everyday is a learning curve.

I'm sure I'll need more help soon
Jonny