Apparently I did something wrong.. Index VS Master Page

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
RAMWolff

Apparently I did something wrong.. Index VS Master Page

Post by RAMWolff »

So I finally got my website uploaded to NameCheap but it seems that the Index page should have been the Master Page? There is nothing on the Index page, so when I click my link I get a blank page and that's what NameCheap's servers are pointed. I'm currently in chat with NameCheap but I'm thinking it may go sideways with their suggestions.

They are suggesting that I rename the Home Page to index but there are .css files that accompany the index and the Home page and I'd like for my Home page tab to say "Home" not "index" when I have a visitor.

Suggestions on what to do here? I don't mind republishing the whole thing as it only takes a minute but if I should just fix all this from within the program and then reupload I'll do that as I want this to be solid.

Thanks so much!
MGD4me

Re: Apparently I did something wrong.. Index VS Master Page

Post by MGD4me »

The Master Page is similar in function to pre-printed letterhead. You create whatever common elements you wish, such as a header with perhaps a menu, title, address, or whatever you wish. Done. That's the Master Page...

Your initial Home page should always be named 'index'. No CAPS, just index. In the Page Properties set the File Extension to either HTML, or PHP, depending on whether you index page contains any php script, or not.

Next, select Miscellaneous (still in Page Properties). At the top there are fields to Select the name of the Master Page you have created, followed by Type, which in your case is 'MasterPage'.

Once you do that, then the index page will give you a preview of what the final look will be, including the Master Page. You can re-use the same Master Page with any other subsequent webpages, or not - your choice.

Finally, publish you index page. The program will upload the index page, naming it either index.html, or index.php, depending on which File Extension choice you made, PLUS it will merge the index page and Master Page together.

Note, you do not need to publish the Master Page. It is automatically merged for you.
RAMWolff

Re: Apparently I did something wrong.. Index VS Master Page

Post by RAMWolff »

Ah, I see now. I messed up. I didn't do the Mis tab and point the index to the Master Page. WOW... easy!

Thanks so much

Richard :D