Coming from WIX and just wondering

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
RAMWolff

Coming from WIX and just wondering

Post by RAMWolff »

Hi,

I'm on the Import HTML pages area of the tutorials pages. SO... my question is ... has anyone come from the WIX side and actually had luck importing in their HTML pages from this proprietary set up? Before WIX shut down my page (I just couldn't afford their prices any more so jumped over to NameCheap (yea, I know, what a name lol) and of course their tools to import websites is limited hence why I'm rebuilding my site and WYSIWYG has publishing tools that will hopefully work to get my site up and running on their servers BUT it would be nice to save myself some work by being able to import the HTML pages I saved out from WIX. If not that's cool but thought I'd ask!

Thank you! :D
Pablo

Re: Coming from WIX and just wondering

Post by Pablo »

Please be aware that WYSIWYG Web Builder is not an HTML editor. Import is limited to text and Images because there is no way to 'reverse' the publish process.
In most cases, it is better to start from scratch.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

First please note that WYSIWYG Web Builder is not a HTML Editor but a HTML Generator what this means is no HTML exists till you actually publish. You can use the HTML import but this will only bring in the basic HTML, elements like Galleries / jQuery/ JavaScript will be ignored and you will need to add again. In general it is always best to just rebuild so that you will have fresh valid code generated by the program as this save time posting questions if any invalid HTML from the import breaks the layout of the page and then trying to figure it out.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

My first suggestion would be to do a "view source" of your WIX home page. Even for the simplest of websites, you will be amazed at the amount of "bloatware" that has been generated.

Any web hosting company that promotes "user-friendly" features like "build a website in 5 minutes" (or, something like that) has to throw in a whole mess of additional code to cover off all the possible options a user might pick and choose. So, just looking at the source code and trying to reverse engineer what is going on, is virtually impossible. Not impossible, just extremely inefficient.

As others have stated, you would be further ahead by starting from scratch. You may even want to update your site anyway, or to incorporate features which WWB brings to the table. It will be far less work, than trying to fix broken imported code.

Just my $.02 ...
RAMWolff

Post by RAMWolff »

Well it does work fine but man the notes about how it's imported are right on! LOL It's all there, the text and the images but all over the place. At least I can MAYBE save a little time getting all this done now.
RAMWolff

Post by RAMWolff »

And your correct about the bloatware. If I opened up a raw HTML file from WIX there are TONS of lines of WIX related stuff within. Crazy!
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Reminds me of wordpress. A company created a site for me using that. There were over 10,000 files and it was very hard to maintain. I replaced it with WWB - 200 files and easy to maintain.
RAMWolff

Post by RAMWolff »

Yea, I really really like this software so far. It's been a little struggle here and there but it's been a joy to work with as I got more acquainted with it. I didn't know there was a Large Icon option. That helped my tired old eye so much finding my way! Got my first few pages completed today and it's viewing quite nicely in Opera browser (my main go-to browser). Not looked at it in other browsers but since so many are based off of Chrome these days (including Edge and Opera) I don't imagine too many glitches to pop up!