WYSIWYG changes French letters in paragraph

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
mac13

WYSIWYG changes French letters in paragraph

Post by mac13 »

When inserting a RWD text, WYSIWYG 17 changes the French letters à to ŕ. The selected font does not matter.
I would like to put the sentence:
"Nous aimerions vous montrer les endroits les plus intéressants, en vous encourageant à les visiter personnellement."
How can I do it?
Page character Set: Unicode (UTF-8)
Pablo

Re: WYSIWYG changes French letters in paragraph

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you have selected the wrong spell checker language?
Or maybe it is related to the used font?
Note that the text editor is standard Windows functionality. So, the software itself does not apply any logic to the text.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

If you need a quick solution maybe you can try if using Alt codes works.

https://www.alt-codes.net/
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
fog

Post by fog »

Got the same problem with French and German diacritics. Could not solve it, but found sort of a workaround. Instead of a plain paragraph I use an "Article" from the "Miscellaneous" in the Toolbox. It does not change the "non-standard" Latin (or Cyrillic, or German) letters. In fact, only the plain paragraph text does. Every other extension works fine for some reason, the text remains solid and does not switch characters to the different ones or to the question marks, as plain paragraph text does oftentimes.
The only downside is, when you use "Article", it adds a following line in HTML:
<div class="blogcomments"><a href="mailto:mail@yourwebsite.com?subject=">Send Comments</a></div>
Can't figure out how to switch it off in the "Article" object interface. But it's just a minor nuisance.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The standard text field should work correct for French and German text or any other language. This is standard Windows functionality and this has been working like this since version 1.0.
The only reason I can think of when it does not work is if there is an issue with your system files (msftedit.dll)
This standard is a Windows DLL that implements the text editor functionality.
fog

Post by fog »

Does "Article" also rely on this msftedit.dll? If so, then there is a difference between it and plain text after all, because I got no issues with any language in "Article" whatsoever.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Does "Article" also rely on this msftedit.dll?
No, this uses MSHTML.DLL, the HTML engine that is also used by Internet Explorer.
fog

Post by fog »

I have no knowledge in programming, but may this forum thread be relevant?

https://coderedirect.com/questions/4298 ... ichtextbox
mac13

Post by mac13 »

The website has the default language set to Polish.
The text: 'Måløy' (correct name of the city in Norway) written as a page header (h1) is remembered and displayed correctly, even after publish. If I use this word in a text paragraph, they are replaced with 'Mĺlřy', even when I switch for a moment to another breakpoint. I tried to change page language - the same error. Also I tried change character set from Unicode UTF-8 (default) to Western European - the same error.
Interestingly, Google Translate (web), when translating 'Måløy' into English, leaves the correct name. Please explain and help me how to bypass this.
Regards,
Maciek
P.S.
'Måløy' save the correct name in 'Photo gallery', as 'Title' or 'Description'... Problem is only in text paragraph.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

For HTML5, the character-set must be set to UTF-8

Also, make sure you insert unformatted text, because if you copy it from another source (like MS Word) then it may contain invalid formatting.

If you need further assistance then please provide a DEMO project, so I can see what you have done.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134