Master-page issue

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Alan

Master-page issue

Post by Alan »

This is my first Masterpage attempt and I find the footer does not automatically move down to the bottom of the content pages.
I did try to insert a content place holder as mentioned in some instructions, but this does not solve my difficulty.
Yes, I am doing something wrong, but I would appreciate your help to explain my error.
I have the site so far at

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArAx9oM6899RgfVFTp7 ... g?e=9fi92a

Thank you
bkjohns

Re: Master-page issue

Post by bkjohns »

I use an extension from [RZ] called Footer Enhancer that allows for that to be done. There might be another fix but that was the easy one for me.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The layout grid is not set as a footer.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I have now set the Layout grid as a footer, but this hasn't actually solved the problem I thought I had.
Yes, the LG now sticks to the bottom of the Master page.
This is a very short page without content (having no text, images or other objects). However, other pages will have varying content and so, different lengths. I believed that the LG as a footer would automatically be at the bottom of every page, regardless of length due to content. I.e. all pages could be of variable length, the length set by content and with the footer always tight up under it, at the bottom.
This is what I hope to achieve. Experimenting with Footer fixed or floating has no effect in this regard.
What do I need to do?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I believed that the LG as a footer would automatically be at the bottom of every page, regardless of length due to content.
Correct

'Fixed' will place the footer at the bottom of the browser window
'Floating' will place the footer at the end of the content.

If you need further assistance then please share the updated project.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thank you for your speedy reply.
I have updated the original content at the above link (first post) with a minimal project.
The footer does go to the bottom of the page, but the page has to be set manually to length. Whilst I can live with this, I thought the page length grew or shrank with the amount of content. This is not an automatic adjustment, or have I still got this wrong.
In addition, when the pages are published, although the footer is shown in the editor view, it isn't shown at all on any published page.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In the workspace, the footer will always be placed at the bottom of the page, because constantly recalculating the offset would take a lot of extra time during design time. This would slow down the application.

The layout grid does not have any content so that is why you do not see it. An empty layout grid has no height. In the workspace it has an initial height because otherwise you would not be able to drag & drop object into the grid.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I understand about the empty footer, but even with text in it, it isn't behaving as expected.
In the workspace, it is at the bottom of the manually set page lengths but when published, the footer is under the header and not below the content of the displayable pages.
I put the modified project in the original link.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

You have some things incorrect.

Viewing your Shipwrecks page, the reason why your footer is underneath the header is because the photo gallery is just sitting in the workspace. You are trying to mix floating layouts (masterpage) with a fixed layout (shipwreck page).

To fix, i suggest the following:

1. Insert a layout grid into the shipwrecks page. It's up to you if you just want 1 column or want spacing on either side. If you want spacing on either side, then set the columns to: 1x 10x 1x. Otherwise, just make it 1 column and it will fill the browser window. Place the photo gallery in the center column. Now the photo gallery is floating and will play nice with your master page.

2. On this same page, goto Page --> Page Properties --> Miscellaneous and under Master Page set type to "Master Frame (requires content place holder). This is how your master page is set up.

3. Go to the master page. Open up the Content Place Holder set overflow to 'floating'.

It should now look correct when previewing.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thank you for the clear explanation, crispy68.
That part works now but it did raise another issue. The grid with the photo anchored to the top of the page. I did resolve this by putting in a divider between the header and grid, but I wondered if there was a better way so the objects naturally stacked one after another?

It seems such a messy way to place objects leading to clutter.
I have deconstructed numerous templates in an attempt to see what happens with settings changed and always wondered why there were so many non-intuitive bits used, even though the page worked.

I still can't see what difference there is between a master page and a master frame (with or without a place holder) so far, the effect seems the same.
brynj

Post by brynj »

Have you see this - https://dapsonishmeal.com/videos.html

This guy does some great tutorials for WYSIWYG - I have not checked if there is exactly what you need to know, but have a look - plenty to learn.