Font weight?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Trugmaker

Font weight?

Post by Trugmaker »

While viewing page weight, I notice that Calibri.ttf is 1,610 Kb, by far the heaviest part of the whole page. Is there a way to reduce or compress fonts to reduce pageload time, and do fonts vary in weight dependant which one is used.
Never complain about getting old, the alternative is far worse!
Pablo

Re: Font weight?

Post by Pablo »

As far as I know, there is no way to compress fonts. They will be published "AS IS".
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Trugmaker wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:18 am While viewing page weight, I notice that Calibri.ttf is 1,610 Kb, by far the heaviest part of the whole page. Is there a way to reduce or compress fonts to reduce pageload time, and do fonts vary in weight dependant which one is used.
Yes, font's are in different weights. Dependent on how many glyphs they contain and how complicated the paths are. Solution... choose another font that is similar but less weight or edit the font in a font edit software and erase all glyphs that are not in use.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

This question has uncovered another very strange happening!!! While looking at both page weight and the page HTML, I realised that nowhere at all do I use the fonts Calibri.ttf - Verdana.ttf & Pala.ttf on my pages, only Ariel. So I created a new page, naked apart from a single image (the page, not me), yet when I viewed the page weight, the three Fonts I've listed here are clearly there. How can this be? I looked at a different WWB website that I created and there is no suggestion of those fonts in either HTML or page weight? I have tried to discover exactly where these three fonts are used or why they are there, but have drawn a total blank. I would really appreciate any guidance here.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Trugmaker wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:51 pm This question has uncovered another very strange happening!!! While looking at both page weight and the page HTML, I realised that nowhere at all do I use the fonts Calibri.ttf - Verdana.ttf & Pala.ttf on my pages, only Ariel. So I created a new page, naked apart from a single image (the page, not me), yet when I viewed the page weight, the three Fonts I've listed here are clearly there. How can this be? I looked at a different WWB website that I created and there is no suggestion of those fonts in either HTML or page weight? I have tried to discover exactly where these three fonts are used or why they are there, but have drawn a total blank. I would really appreciate any guidance here.
Hi Trugmaker...
(No guidance, just a statement) checked my 3 latest sites and no one of the fonts you mentioned appears... only the fonts I applied with "@font-face" are there. So looks like you must have applied them some way...
"Make My Day"

See my Website
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

To be able to help you. I need to see your project file.
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

How do I show 'the project file??'
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

Do Whaaaaaaaat! It would likely be less complicated to work it out myself or pay your air fare to visit me.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

All I am asking is for you to share a demo project so I can see what you have done.
The application has thousands of options and millions of possible combinations.
So, without knowing which options you have used it will be very difficult to help you.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

If it was me Pablo I would take the offer of the free ticket..

Trugmaker it is quite simple.
1) First make a backup of your project and save.
2) Open the project remove all irrelevant information such as extensions, manually added code if any.
3) Save use WinZip to compress include any fonts used and the send the zipped project to Pablo.
See the following and links within on compressing fonts.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/608 ... ing-in-web
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I would also add:

2a) Test the new project and see if it still fails. If it doesn't - then something you have removed is the cause.

Alan
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

In a way I found a way to 'cheat'. I just loaded Filezilla and deleted the Calibri.ttf from the site as it is not used by within my wwb project. Tested the site and no adverse effects etc. Just peculiar how/why it (and three other fonts) are itemised in 'page weight' yet are not visible at all in the page HTML ????
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The fonts will be publish if:
- you use them in somewhere in your pages and you have enabled the option 'Automatically use @font-face' in Tools->Options->Fonts.
or
- you may have used it for captcha or another tool that needs the font on the server.
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

I believe I have found the reason (with guidance from Pablo). I unchecked the option to 'Generate TTF in Web font settings and the offending 'Calibri' etc. fonts are no longer shown in Page weight. But! would/could this action be detrimental in any way?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you disable this option then users that do not have this font installed will see a different font.

Related tutorial:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/webfonts.html
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

I only use Arial, surely EVERYONE has Arial???
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Most users will have Arial.
Trugmaker

Post by Trugmaker »

When I unchecked the option to 'Generate TTF' in Web font settings, the page load time (in page weight) dropped from 00:08:05 to 00:02.26. Is this a significant time save and warrant the turning off?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

See also the notes in the tutorial:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/webfonts.html