shopping cart postage

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
adrian5750

shopping cart postage

Post by adrian5750 »

HI Folks
A client's site currently runs with the Paypal shopping cart - using the 'Add to Cart' and 'Checkout' buttons.
Products are currently priced to include postage.

Client is asking if it's possible to price the product ex-postage, and for the cart to calculate it based on weight of items in the basket..?

My feeling is that this is beyond the capabilities of the simple cart - am I right?

Thanks
Adrian
BaconFries

Re: shopping cart postage

Post by BaconFries »

My feeling is that this is beyond the capabilities of the simple cart - am I right?
Are you just using the PayPal Objects? if so open the Add to Cart Properties->Extra Variables and add the following name="weight" value="2.00"<<< this being the weight (lbs) of the item.

You will then need to login to the PayPal account, select "Shipping Calculations" option, enter manually the ranges of weights and price for each weight range, something similar to the following: 0.00 - 1.00 lbs = £1.75, 1.01 - 3.00 lbs = £2.50. Hope this helps.

If you are using something other let me know, if using the Webshop Plus! v.3.2 then it is already possible to add this.

For a full range of variables see the following :
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/class ... variables/#
adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 »

HI Bacon

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea that was possible - but then, the client's site is something of a 'legacy' site...

I emailed him yesterday to say that I'd look into it - he's responded this morning with

"There's no need for a calculating weight system - as the shipping costs for 1 to 20kg is 8euro regardless"
- so I think what he really wants is to list the items 'ex-postage' and just add on a single 'postage' item at the end
(which would, I think, be fairly easy - as the calculation would be 'less than 1kg = this much, Ikg+ costs this much').

I'm guessing this amount would be added on to the items total after you hit 'checkout'
- so it wouldn't show in the cart itself but would appear once the customer goes to Paypal to actually make the payment?

Am I understanding that right?
Many thanks
Adrian
adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 »

Actually - don't worry about replying....

Turns out the problem / the client's requirements are a great deal more complicated than I outlined.
(Aren't they always!)

Thanks for the info about the Paypal shipping options though.

Adrian
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I'm guessing this amount would be added on to the items total after you hit 'checkout'
Correct, in the properties of the Add to Cart you can input two shipping fees Base and Extra along with a Handling charge. At checkout the price, base and handling all get displayed, from memory you have to setup the shipping in the PayPal account so that all get shown at checkout. I know from just testing locally the Extra shipping doesn't show even though it is in the generated code so requires it to be set up in the account. I am in no way a PayPal expert but if I can help I will.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

(Aren't they always!)
So true....
adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 »

BaconFries wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 pm
(Aren't they always!)
So true....
This one especially.
The product is a seasonal crop - some of which may be available 'now', some may be pre-ordered for delivery once it is ready, or if <now> is later in the year, may be shipped now - and customers can order all of one type or a mixture.

Postage is by weight - but the price doesn't increase between 1.001kg and 19.999kg.

But, if the customer orders a mix of 'available now' and 'preorder' then that incurs two separate lots of postage....

And, no, I'm not writing the javascript to unravel that little lot!

At the moment, each item is priced to include postage - so if more than 1kg's worth of items are ordered then the client does a manual refund, remembering to keep some postage money back for 'preorder' items...

As I say - not all that simple.
And may be the sort of thing that a human does better than a computer - even if the human does grumble about it!

Thanks for your help
Adrian