Paypal - Transaction Details in Payment Email

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
ColinM

Paypal - Transaction Details in Payment Email

Post by ColinM »

I'm finishing off a new website with an eCommerce function via the PayPal mini cart (the Client really wants to use this) and undertaking some testing.

I've set the Add to Cart Button Sandbox to ticked.

I've made two dummy test payments - one via my PayPal account and another not using PayPal (to replicate the two possible Client payment methods).

I received the emails from PayPal ok although it's a "payment pending" email.

But, and here is the specific situation/question I would like assistance on BOTH emails show a "View the details of the transaction" link which, when clicked on, fires open a browser session asking one to log into PayPal. The question is how are people that don't have a PayPal account and pay external to PayPal supposed to see/get a record of their transaction?

I've raised a ticket with Merchant Support but hopefully someone has experienced this and can shed some light on it please?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Re: Paypal - Transaction Details in Payment Email

Post by Pablo »

I think users will always have to provide their email address to PayPal.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Pablo wrote:I think users will always have to provide their email address to PayPal.
Yes they do Pablo - otherwise they wouldn't receive a notification of the transaction - but what I'm concerned about is that even when a user pays not using a PayPal account - the email on the transaction that PayPal sends asks the User to log in to PayPal even if they don't have a PayPal account?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm sorry I do not how that works exactly. I have only paid with PayPal with an account, never tried it without one.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Pablo wrote:I'm sorry I do not how that works exactly. I have only paid with PayPal with an account, never tried it without one.
OK thanks anyway Pablo - unless someone else chips in with a direct answer I'll await PayPal's response :D
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi Colin now this is how I believe it works. The user clicks on the PayPal button to pay they are then redirected and asked to login to there PayPal account if they have one (optional). If they do not have one then they can simply choose to pay by Debit/Credit card (again optional) by filling in there billing address of the card used, card number, CSV (number on back)etc. Once processed they will receive an e-mail regarding purchase.

Now about still getting asked to login to a PayPal account I think this is just there way of getting the buyer to have a account which speeds up buying the next time without having to enter/renter there details again. Having a account simply makes it easier as the user's details are already stored via there account it is also for security/protection against any unauthorized spending on cards. So I don't think there is anything to worry about the user/buyer will still be able to buy with or without a PayPal account as long as they have a method of payment such as a Debit/Credit card to do so.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

BaconFries wrote:Hi Colin now this is how I believe it works. The user clicks on the PayPal button to pay they are then redirected and asked to login to there PayPal account if they have one (optional). If they do not have one then they can simply choose to pay by Debit/Credit card (again optional) by filling in there billing address of the card used, card number, CSV (number on back)etc. Once processed they will receive an e-mail regarding purchase.

Now about still getting asked to login to a PayPal account I think this is just there way of getting the buyer to have a account which speeds up buying the next time without having to enter/renter there details again. Having a account simply makes it easier as the user's details are already stored via there account it is also for security/protection against any unauthorized spending on cards. So I don't think there is anything to worry about the user/buyer will still be able to buy with or without a PayPal account as long as they have a method of payment such as a Debit/Credit card to do so.
Hey BC - totally agree with all of that - yup, agree they can still purchase - proved that - just that receiving an email to log in to their paypal account when they don't have one doesn't give them the transaction details - maybe it's because PayPal is sending it to an email address they knows doe have a paypal account - will test it again tomorrow using another email address and see what that results in. Thanks mate. 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

If anyone is following this thread - an interesting update...

Just received a written (email) response from PayPal confirming that someone who does not have a PayPal account can pay through PayPal, but when they receive the emails from PayPal (there are two, a transaction pending and a transaction finalised) they can only see their transaction details if they create and log into PayPal. I can understanding the PayPal marketing strategy, but it will be very interesting if my clients see this as a show stopper as far as PayPal is concerned. I'm going to see if I can get one of my assertive clients (I have a few :lol: ) to tackle this as a "User".
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Patr100

Post by Patr100 »

ColinM wrote:If anyone is following this thread - an interesting update...

Just received a written (email) response from PayPal confirming that someone who does not have a PayPal account can pay through PayPal, but when they receive the emails from PayPal (there are two, a transaction pending and a transaction finalised) they can only see their transaction details if they create and log into PayPal. I can understanding the PayPal marketing strategy, but it will be very interesting if my clients see this as a show stopper as far as PayPal is concerned. I'm going to see if I can get one of my assertive clients (I have a few :lol: ) to tackle this as a "User".
Hi Colin,
If not a PP member I would have thought an email receipt or confrontation of payment would enough for most people.
if they want to claim against tax or expenses etc. Surely they can keep their own emails as records as we might keep any receipt in the real world? What other transaction details would they be missing for any practical purpose?
I would have thought as well that the PP payment will show up in their credit card statement.
Most people just need a receipt in case they dont get the goods or dispute with the seller etc.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Patr100 wrote:Hi Colin,
If not a PP member I would have thought an email receipt or confrontation of payment would enough for most people.
if they want to claim against tax or expenses etc. Surely they can keep their own emails as records as we might keep any receipt in the real world? What other transaction details would they be missing for any practical purpose?
I would have thought as well that the PP payment will show up in their credit card statement.
Most people just need a receipt in case they dont get the goods or dispute with the seller etc.
Hi Patrick,
All good points - I had a chance to chat with one of my affected Clients and they don't seem too phased - thanks for the input! :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia