PayPal MiniCart Questions

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
ColinM

PayPal MiniCart Questions

Post by ColinM »

Two questions on this

1) I've just done a full live test and I've noticed it doesn't clear the previous order?

2) My Client offers 10% discount on their wine - what do I put in the discount field to put that into effect so it shows the discount total when the order email is received please?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Re: PayPal MiniCart Questions

Post by Pablo »

Colin,

I'm sorry this is the third party script, I do not have any control over the behavior of this script.

Pablo
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Pablo wrote:Colin,

I'm sorry this is the third party script, I do not have any control over the behavior of this script.

Pablo
No apology needed Pablo - thank you for replying. :)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Morning Colin what you asking is usually done by the use of a 'Extra Variable' in the PayPal Button. You can try this.
Open the PayPal Button Cart properties go to Extra Variables.
Click on Add
In name add this discount_rate
In value add 10 this equates to 10%
Close
With that done when you click on the Add to Cart and purchase it will show in the cart and then when you go to PayPal the price should be displayed minus 10%
You may also have to set this up in your PayPal account. There are other ways to do this by using javascript to work out the discount for you and again will show in payments at PayPal.

Note Colin this really works on single items best from previous related question I think you will need the discount applied to multiple items am I correct? If so it will require a different method...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

HI Colin ok to carry on from this I have looking back at cart forms I have and you will also need to pass another Extra variable with the name upload and the value 1. What this will do is over ride any other discount variable used along with the following name discount_rate_cart valuw 10 so that the discount applies to the whole cart and not just each item. So as before

Click on Add
In name add upload
In value add 1
Discount
In name add this discount_rate_cart
Close
Now with this method it applies to each button used but the discount doesn't get set individually to the item but to the whole cart. Hope this helps you in someway. Note you should only apply to one button and maybe a foot note saying discount applied at payments.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hey BC - awesome! I'll give that a go and let you know how I go :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Colin give me a shout if needed and I upload a demo to show what I mean.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

BaconFries wrote:Colin give me a shout if needed and I upload a demo to show what I mean.
BC - that's HUGELY kind of you BC really appreciated - had a "pre-go_live" meeting with the Clients yesterday and working on a list of final tweaks - so haven't got to the ecommerce side of things yet 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

HEY BC,

Per your previous thread posts:

PROCESS 1
BaconFries wrote:Morning Colin what you asking is usually done by the use of a 'Extra Variable' in the PayPal Button. You can try this.
Click on Add
In name add this discount_rate
Close
With that done when you click on the Add to Cart and purchase it will show in the cart and then when you go to PayPal the price should be displayed minus 10%
You may also have to set this up in your PayPal account. There are other ways to do this by using javascript to work out the discount for you and again will show in payments at PayPal.

Note Colin this really works on single items best from previous related question I think you will need the discount applied to multiple items am I correct? If so it will require a different method...
AND

PROCESS 2
BaconFries wrote:HI Colin ok to carry on from this I have looking back at cart forms I have and you will also need to pass another Extra variable with the name upload and the value 1. What this will do is over ride any other discount variable used along with the following name discount_rate_cart valuw 10 so that the discount applies to the whole cart and not just each item. So as before

Click on Add
In name add upload
In value add 1
Discount
In name add this discount_rate_cart
Close
Now with this method it applies to each button used but the discount doesn't get set individually to the item but to the whole cart. Hope this helps you in someway. Note you should only apply to one button and maybe a foot note saying discount applied at payments.
Am I correct in assuming you mean use PROCESS 1 to show individual item discount (which it does 8) ) OR PROCESS 2 to show aggregate discount (which it does 8) ) not BOTH together? I tried both together out of interest - but that confused the hell out of the extension as it showed the sub total as the full price minus the first 10% discount, then a discount on that again - but didn't show the individual discounts at checkout - just the aggregate discount.

So PROCESS 2 works beautifully - thank you BC!!

You piqued my curiosity - so have been going through the PayPal variable pass list - plenty to play with here!
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Add - but the problem is I don't want discount on postage - I can add a figure to it - but as you add case loads then it looses a cents or two? How do I exempt postage which is an product like wine?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Ok let me understand are you saying when you add handling i.e. $10.00 that the discount also gets applied to that? Just tried this and it is only the items that are discounted. Is it the case (not the wine case) that you have both wine and postage as one? if so then this is why there will be a slight loss in a cent or two as the discount is applied to the total cost of price and not per bottle.
One way that comes to mind is the weight variable is used and then the postage applies to weight per case. Or that you simply use the cost per bottle(item) then use the handling variable and set the price (set) there for postage the whole case.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

BaconFries wrote:Ok let me understand are you saying when you add handling i.e. $10.00 that the discount also gets applied to that? Just tried this and it is only the items that are discounted. Is it the case (not the wine case) that you have both wine and postage as one? if so then this is why there will be a slight loss in a cent or two as the discount is applied to the total cost of price and not per bottle.
One way that comes to mind is the weight variable is used and then the postage applies to weight per case. Or that you simply use the cost per bottle(item) then use the handling variable and set the price (set) there for postage the whole case.
Hi BC, Thank you for taking the effort to contact me through my website - I've replied with a link where you can see the staged website - might be a bit easier to see where I am coming from, how I've set it up etc.

As mentioned, I tried your option 2 - but it discounted the postage which, if you look at the staged website orders page, you can see there are two separate "items" for postage down the bottom to reflect two separate rates.

Interestingly, using option 1, that is specifying the discount in each item by use of the discount_rate var with value of 10 at the PayPal gateway, the discount shows at the bottom for up to 3 items selected with the full price alongside each item - but if I select 4 or more - it shows the discounted price alongside each item and no overall discount shown - any ideas why?

Just tried Option 2 - if I add the two variable 1/upload and discount_rate_cart option/10 to each of the wines but NOT the two postage items (down the bottom of the page) the following results at the PayPal gateway via the mini_cart extension:

1) Select ONLY one postage item - no discount is shown:

2) Select one wine item and one postage - full prices shown with discount at bottom deducted off total - INCLUDING discount on the one postage item.

3) Select two wine items and one postage - full prices shown with discount at bottom deducted off total - INCLUDING discount on the one postage item.

4) Select three wine items and one postage - full prices shown with discount at bottom deducted off total - INCLUDING discount on the one postage item.

..and so on.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Morning Colin ok I can see what is happening looks as if you are passing the shipping as a item to the cart so this explains hy it gets a discount applied to it. I am out at a appointment but will get back to you via email as soon as back in front of PC.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

BaconFries wrote:Morning Colin ok I can see what is happening looks as if you are passing the shipping as a item to the cart so this explains hy it gets a discount applied to it. I am out at a appointment but will get back to you via email as soon as back in front of PC.
Thanks BC - I look forward to your answer mate 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Itab

Post by Itab »

Hi All,

I have a slightly different problem.
I have a number of items I sell through PayPal MiniCart and would like to charge a single shipping fee,
irrespective of how many different items a customer buys. But I can't find this option in PayPal MiniCart.

Here is the website: http://www.atielectronics.com.au/NoteandcoiN.html

Can anyone help?

Best regards,
Itab
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I think you will need to set this up in your PayPal account.
GrahamW

Post by GrahamW »

Hi Itab
Have a look at my Mal's ecommerce extension here
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79431

I'm sure once you create a Mal's account and look at shipping it will suit your needs.
You don't need to buy my extension to use Mal's but it makes life easier as the code is generated automatically for you.
Graham