Adding Instructions From Buyer

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
ColinM

Adding Instructions From Buyer

Post by ColinM »

I know this is probably a PayPal issue, but someone in here may have the answer anyway.

I've set up a PayPal eCommerce facility using the Add To cart and View Cart within WB - all good there.

In the Add To Cart - Shipping and Handling I have ticked both Require Shipping Information and Allow Customer Note.

But in the check out process I see nowhere needed to provide Shipping Information OR a Customer Note.

Does this require something to be added to Extra Variables and/or a config in the PayPal account please?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Re: Adding Instructions From Buyer

Post by Pablo »

Maybe it's disabled in the PayPal account?
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

support wrote:Maybe it's disabled in the PayPal account?
I thought that too Pablo - but I could not find anywhere where you specify or disabled it - however I have just found this.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did that suggestion work for you?
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

No, because that only allows you to conduct a survey with a set of finite responses - I want a free form text field.

I created a low cost item and conducted a full live test with my Website Client's paypal email configured in my MS Outlook and the buyer/seller process works fine except that the Instructions From Buyer area in the order records a value of "none provided" which would suggest that there is supposed to be an input free form text field presented by PayPal during the order process on their secure server.

I've posted a question to PayPal on their forum. See what they say.

I'll post their response - it may help others in here. :)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Ok dont know if this will help, if my memory serves me correct when using this option then a text area is required in the PayPal form. I have tried to insert a textarea using the options in the PayPal button but it only allows comboboxs....
The button code for the add to cart should look like this note this is custom code not the PayPal button code...
Maybe a update to the Add to Cart in the Options to allow a textarea or even a radio button would take the button a step further.

<!-- SAMPLE PAYPAL FORM COMMENTS -->
<form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" style="margin: 0px">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_cart">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="your@email.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Your Item Name">
<input type="hidden" name="custom" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="return" value="http://your-domain.com/thanks-payment.htm">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="quanity" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="add" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="35.00">

<!-- START COMMENTS LINES -->
<input type="hidden" name="on0" value="Extra Comments">Enter Item Comments:<br>
<textarea rows="4" cols="17" name="os0">
</textarea>
<br>
<!-- END COMMENTS LINES -->
<input type="image" src="picts/cart-add.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Add to Cart" vspace="4"><br>
</form>
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Cheers BC, 8)

(my related post

Well, I got this reply from Paypal:

"The setting is on your end and per your post, sounds like you have it setup correctly. Don't know if you gone thru the entire checkout process because you don't see that option until almost the end of the process. What we've learned that most customers go right past that feature regardless of what you do.

What works better for collecting specific info is to include a text field with the item button code. By using the "option" variables in your item button code, you can be sure to get the additional info if needed. (You can also add some scripting to the button code which in turn can make that field a requirement if necessary.)"

The obviously didn't read my forum post very well because of this. :roll:

... and this isn't a lot of joy.

BC - Yes the no_note parm (from this (although I appreciate this is a parm list for a buy now button) - although according to PayPal - you want the value to be set to default or 0 if you want the customer to be prompted to include a note - not 1 as you suggest?

My Client is selling products with a large number of sizes and colours and the buyer demographic potentially doesn't have an oversupply of brain power. So I've tried to make the process as "foolproof" and simple as possible.

To do this, what appears as an Add To Cart button is actually only an image that presents a hidden layer, in which are Add To Cart buttons that appear as sizes and colours. They simply click on the right colour and size to add that to their cart. Each one has a unique description in the Details (tab) - Item Name:

So adding a text field to each of these would require a considerable rethink in the layout :?

By the way Pablo - I noticed your check out also does not include the Instructions to Merchant link either.

(As a peripheral issue, the response from PayPal was from a "Volunteer Adviser" - with all the money PayPal get I can't believe that)

SO - any ideas?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hang on....may have found something will update shortly.... :D
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

OK - interesting - you need to do TWO things

1) PayPal - In PayPal > My Account > My Business Setup > Customise My Buyers Experience > Customise >Payment Receipt Preferences > Edit > Special Instructions For Seller - :roll: - you need to have the radio button activated to Yes

Someone needs to explain the concept of breadcrumbs to PayPal!

Image Image Image

2) WB - AddtoCart > Shipping > Allow Customer Note - must be UNCHECKED.

and then.....

and you're....

Here is a lightbox activated instruction - I'll be adding for buyers - I've added a green box and arrow to highlight the link, functionality and input text box I was chasing in the review check out process screen BEFORE the buyer commits to a purchase:

Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia