Publish to local folders - a hint if you use multiple PCs.

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
alan_sh

Publish to local folders - a hint if you use multiple PCs.

Post by alan_sh »

Baclkground:
I have a desktop machine and a laptop. I tend to publish to a local (on my internal network) web server - my Synology box. To do this, I have a network drive (W: for Web) and publish to a local folder (W:\newpennine as an example). Once there, I can test it out and when I am happy, I use Filezilla to copy it to my host (LCN). This works well for me.

My source file is on a dropbox type folder which I can access from my laptop and my desktop as they are both kept in sync. I have used the SUBST command so that the files appear to come from the same drive (in my case X:). Once again, this works well for me.

On my laptop, I can only publish to a local (C: drive) because I am generally not at home when I am playing around. This causes an issue because the publish folder is stored inside the WBS file. So, wheh I use my laptop after having used my desktop, because my latop doesn't have a W: network drive, the publish folder is then chosen (at random, it appears) by WWB. If I don't check, it could overwrite something I don't intend it to do.

Solution.

I love the SUBST command - go and look it up.

On my laptop, I have a J: drive which points to a local publish folder on my C: drive.
The command is: SUBST J: "C:\Users\alans\Documents\temp web sites"

On my desktop, I have the command: SUBST J: W:\

So, inside WWB, I have to pubish to J:\newpennine. As long as I have a 'newpennine' folder underneath my J: drive, it all works nicely and I don't have to check before I pubish that it's going to somewhere I didn't intend it to.

Now, this is something you may never need, but if you do, I can confirm this works nicely.
capt68

Re: Publish to local folders - a hint if you use multiple PCs.

Post by capt68 »

I too want to use WWB on 2 computers and am planning on upgrading to ver. 18.

I am running Win10 on both machines (desktop & laptop) and have an external drive witch I use as a network drive (accessible from both PC's.

Is there a problem if I install WWB Program files on my external drive?

I plan on installing Program Files in:
g:\Network\Tp-Share\g\WYSIWYG Web Builder 18\

and the personal files in:
g:\Network\Tp-Share\g\WYSIWYG Web Builder

I'm not a computer geek, so please point out if this creates a problem that I am not aware of.

Appreciate any assistance,
Phil
Pablo

Re: Publish to local folders - a hint if you use multiple PCs.

Post by Pablo »

An external drive should work. Just make sure to use the same drive letter otherwise the software may not be able to find the files.