$mailfrom does not get filled from form

Issues related to forms.
maartensworld

$mailfrom does not get filled from form

Post by maartensworld »

Hi.
Using Mac App Store edition. web builder 7, version 7.3.3

I am making a mailform with name, address, etc and (most important) email-address.

The EditBox for this field is called email. (all small-caps, as is required).
I use the default setting, which uses the function mail() (but I also tested SMPT and other offerd functions)
The Email address to send it to is fixed and valid and in the hosting-server-domain (as required) This is filled in in the property-inspector of the form.

When I test, the email does not get send, nor does its validity get tested (incorrect format)

After a lot of searching and testing (and asking my hosting provider to test the settings of the servers) I discovered the following:

When I fill in the "From Email" value in the property inspector manualy, all works as it should. All form-fields get send in the email and the email-validity test is performed. I do notice that the email-field that displays the "From Email" value has a capital E, which is not allowed. (But this could be cosmetics and only present in the email-text)

When I do not fill in the "From Email, but instead put (as is standard) $mailfrom in the property inspector, the mail does not get send and the email-test is not performed.

I am guessing that the hosting service does not allow to send an email without a valid sender address.

So it seems that the sender address ($mailfrom) is not properly transferred/filled from the from-field (email).

As there is no way to edit the generated code (unless I publish it, download it, edit it and upload it again) I hope you can fix this for me.

For your info, the windows version (wysiwyg-webbuilder) which I have used for some 10 years, did not have this issue. But (sadly) I work on a Mac since a year (and hate it :cry: ) so I am stuck with this version (which also often crashes, but luckily saves all data before it does so).

I have spent a few hours reading on this forum and the user manual, but did not find a solution.
I did notice you often request the code, but using the Menu - Page HTML, you can only see the code... NOT copy it :-(

So, the next best thing is to give you the address of the page on-line: http://valentina.sale/Checkout_test.php
(The fail-page is an empty page, the success page is a picture of a glasswork cup with red liquid..... don't ask :P )

If you need anything more, please let me know.
Maarten
Pablo

Re: $mailfrom does not get filled from form

Post by Pablo »

If you use the Mac App Store version then I assume you are using Quick 'n Easy Web Builder?
https://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/forum/

About your question:
You can set the 'from address' in the properties of the form: 'Email From'.
If you check the generated code then you will see that this value is used as the from address (via $mailfrom variable)
maartensworld

Post by maartensworld »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.
The other forum... I can not login there, even though I registered. Not sure why and when this happens, there is absolutely nothing you can do, no one to contact. (Which is not a good thing)

Back to the problem: Yes, you can fill in the value for $mailfrom at the form-properties, but the thing is... It should be the Email of the person that fills in the form, and I don't know who that is, so I can't fill in that Email address in the form-properties.

In the manual it clearly states that the $mailfrom variable will be filled from any form-field with the name email (in small caps)... But it does not, which I think is a bug. So I hope this gets fixed.

On an unrelated subject, I think you should also give people the opportunity to contact you by email. Right now, if you can't login to the support-forum, you are hanging out to dry... :cry: And for a paid piece of software, that is not a good thing.
Just tell people that if they send an email, it takes a week to answer.... but at least they got something.
I was lucky that I used to have WYSIWYG-wenbuilder.... or I would still try to log into the other forum.
I hope you will consider this.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In Quick' n Easy Web Builder, forms work exactly the same as in WYSIWYG Web Builder, so the same settings will result in the same code.

Here is how it works:
If you do not set the 'Email from' property, the $mailfrom will be set to the entered email address, if the email address input field in named 'email'.
If the input field is not named 'email' (for example, E-mail or Email) then the $mailfrom will be set to the $mailto value.

If you think there is something wrong then please describe exactly what your settings are and what you change to the code to make it work.
Based on your description everything is correct as far as I can tell.

You can also contact me via the contact form:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/contact.html
All emails will be answered within 12 hours, but usually much faster.
luputu

Post by luputu »

Pablo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:28 am In Quick' n Easy Web Builder, forms work exactly the same as in WYSIWYG Web Builder, so the same settings will result in the same code.

Here is how it works:
If you do not set the 'Email from' property, the $mailfrom will be set to the entered email address, if the email address input field in named 'email'.
If the input field is not named 'email' (for example, E-mail or Email) then the $mailfrom will be set to the $mailto value.

If you think there is something wrong then please describe exactly what your settings are and what you change to the code to make it work.
Based on your description everything is correct as far as I can tell.

You can also contact me via the contact form:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/contact.html
All emails will be answered within 12 hours, but usually much faster.
how to set auto responder to user email without having email field in form ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

how to set auto responder to user email without having email field in form ?
That is not possible because then the script will not know where yo send the email to.