Master/Detail

Issues related to forms.
aklisiewicz

Master/Detail

Post by aklisiewicz »

Can we build Master/Detail page in WWB ? God example would be an Invoice, Work Order etc.
Such page would consist of the Form elements on the top then data grid with several records beneath and all linked together from two different tables.
Pablo

Re: Master/Detail

Post by Pablo »

What you describe is a "web application", this requires programming.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz »

those answers are completely irrelevant.
I was looking for a solution which allows creating INVOICE, PRODUCT ORDER or similar pages. When the Master is on one page and details on another - THAT IS NO SOLUTION. Most PHP tools provide only a super simple single form solution, while many developers (including myself) search for something more sophisticated. I use a product in the past which allowed creating Invoice like forms (where master table data was on the top) and child records right below, so I know it can be done. The problem with that tool was that it is not compatible with MVC and more modern file structure/systems.
aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz »

web application is simply more sophisticated set of grids, forms, menus etc. Does it require programing ? yes and no. It depends. I used to build complex apps with SCRIPTCASE. The only downside was that this product comes no one near visual capabilities of WB and does not support MVC. I could however create complex Master/Detail forms in 1 hour with minimal coding. I still use this product . Unfortunately customer support is terrible the fact that the developers and owners do not speak English makes this product rather poor, although the concept is fantastic.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I was looking for a solution which allows creating INVOICE, PRODUCT ORDER or similar page
There is no standard solution for creating invoices. products orders etc.
You can create web layout with Web Builder but 'logic' must be programmed.

If you are looking for a complete programming environment then WYSIWYG Web Builder is not the right tool for you.
lummis

Post by lummis »

To put this into perspective Scriptcase charges a minimum of $399 for the program, whereas WB16 currently costs $49.95, so how can you expect to get the functionality you want, which would only be useful to a small proportion of the users of WB, for such a low price? There are lots of things that I would like to have available which involve programming but they would be of little use to others so I either have to do it myself or look elsewhere for a solution.
aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz »

As far as standards, I must disagree. When you look at any invoice (printed) they look 90% the same. Yes they can be programmed on the screen in many different way, but more they look like a printed form the better. I would not mind to pay $400+ for WWWB if it has such functionality.
Stating that there are very few users who would benefit from this is completely wrong. There are thousands of developers who simply have no time to deal with the high level programming and want a more automated approach. There are also mid-skill developers who would benefit.

I looked at every possible CMS solution to develop such grid/Form design and could not find anything that makes sense (except from those who cost $300+/month).
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Is it worth looking at an external forms processor such as Cognitoforms and embed that inside your web page?

Alan
aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz »

Well, the idea is to use the WYSIWYG WB, not to embed other source. the reason is that is it easier then maintin all data. I have Ivoice created with other tools and it works fine but to use it with WB I could only have an option to either COPY/PASTE source code or embed it through iFrames (which usually makes everything look rather ugly).
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can create the form in WWB, but the 'application logic' must be programmed.
What you need is very specific and requires a custom script,.

Note that there is no way to supply a built-in solutions/script for every application anyone can think of.
This is beyond the scope of WWB.
aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz »

It is specific, but this is the most common scenario when it gets to the FORMs. There are myriad of documents which use that scenario.
HEADER + DETAILS. For example: Invoice, Proeuct-Order, Work-Order, Students-Classes, Exam-Grades etc,. This list could go on and on.

I have used such Master/Details list for years but the tool I used become obsolete and not very convenient in sense of layout, that is why I am looking for similar functionality in WWB. It would add great value to the program, although I understand it is not easy to create.
As a startup I would suggest just ONE-MANY relationships.