cannot connect to host hostgator

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
Pablo

Re: cannot connect to host hostgator

Post by Pablo »

Where is your existing index.html file?
That is where you will need upload the new files.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

Just talked to hostgator again....and they said they are not familiar with wysiwyg platform and they cannot
do anything.

How do I get to that file if I can't connect?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This has nothing to do with WYSIWYG Web Builder.
This is a configuration related issue.

Please first try to make it work with FileZilla.
Once that works, you can also use these settings for WWB.

What do you need?
- server address (FTP host)
- protocol: FTP, Secure FTP or FTPS
- port number
- username
- password
- remote folder

Only hostgator can give you this information, no matter what software you use.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I have that information but that is not helping me. Not sure how to upload files into index.html sorry im not an IT professional. I hate to think that I have to rebuild my site with different host and builder.... I have been dealing with this for the last 3 days and nothing is happening. ugh
sand21

Post by sand21 »

It just seemed to publish but still half the pages had no changes.... the pages that have no changes have a
padlock in browser with an exclamation mark on it. The pages that are published correctly just have a paddock
in browser which is normal. I don't know if that has anything to do with the non publishing of these pages
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

It just seemed to publish but still half the pages had no changes
If the page(s) show no charge have you applied a "Browser" refresh Ctrl+F5 this will refresh the cache of the browser with the latest version. The padlock in browser with an exclamation mark on it indicates the the page(s) aren't secure with SSL or not using https:// but http://. Neither of these is software related but Browser and Host related.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I can make changes on the pages that published, but the pages that did not update I can't do anything with. There are 11 out of 21 pages that won't update...refreshing does not work....
it's ridiculous :|
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You previously wrote that you could not connect.
Does this mean that you have solved that problem and now only some pages do not update?
That is a different issue, right?

To be able to help you, I need more information from you.
Which pages did you update?
What is the URL of these pages?
What changes did you make?
What information is in the publish log?
sand21

Post by sand21 »

The pages that would update I’m using hostgators IP address,not mine.
I will get that info....
I am about to shut down my site if I can’t get this fixed. The pages that won’t publish that have the padlock with exclamation Mark on them...I clicked on the lock & it had my passwords for personal accounts there....scared me
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The pages that won’t publish that have the padlock with exclamation Mark on them...
As mentioned by Baconfries, this indicates that the page contain non secure links,. This has nothing to do with the publishing.
You will need to update your links to make them secure, but that is another problem.
Please focus on one thing at a time otherwise it will become even more confusing.

To be able to help you, I need more information from you.
Which pages did you update?
What is the URL of these pages?
What changes did you make?
What information is in the publish log?
sand21

Post by sand21 »

Rest of site there are no changes Seems there are very few published changes
The first few pages I changed the design of the page and added paypal to them.

These pages below did not show any changes when published.

www.plushsentiments.com/ISaidAPrayerOfSympathyBear.html
/Heavenlybearhugs.html
/I-Am-SorryPuppy.html
/LittleComfortBear.html
/Why.html
/In-Gods-Arms.html
/TheKeyToHeaven-TeddyBear.html
/IAmWithYouAlways.html

/SympathyLamb.html
/HeavenlyHugsPuppy.html

/Get-Well-Witherspoon.html
/GetWellPuppy.html
/getwellsheep.html
/Northwoods-Messenger-GetWellMoose.html
/SickyVickyGreeting.html
/Hugs-From-The-Heart.html
/GetWellYorki.html
/IllieWillieGreeting.html
/KittyKitty-Get-Well.html
lummis

Post by lummis »

This may sound rather basic but I trust that you are publishing Entire Web Site and using Publish All Files when uploading from WB. Also the files that you are trying to update have not been marked Don't Publish this Page.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

No there are no file that I marked don’t publish....and I have been publishing the whole site
lummis

Post by lummis »

I am seeing a PayPal object on heavenlybearhugs.html and iamsorrypuppy.html . Are you saying that you are not seeing that. If you are not, have you tried clearing cache by using Ctrl+F5?
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I tried....didn’t see that....I still see old design on page and no PayPal
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I have tried all the url addresses you provided and all are working apart from two I get a 404. As you mention I to cannot see any PayPal on the pages I managed to view apart from the following url. https://plushsentiments.com/PuppyTherapy-GetWell.html note that this page has invalid code in the HTML you can see this displaying.

You have got me thinking when you made the changes and saved locally was it to the same folder as the old files or did you save to a new folder? Asking because are you sure you are uploading from the new folder (if you have one) and not the old as this could explain why you aren't seeing any changes.

Carrying on from this now this is just a suggestion if you have made changes to all your pages and saved locally to a new folder as asked then try the following.
Create a "New" folder on your server.
Give it a name such as demo.
Upload all your new files to it and only them.
Finally link to it like https://plushsentiments.com/demo this will allow you to check that it is just all the New files are uploaded and once you are sure everything is working you can remove the old files and move all the New files to were the old were...now this is just a suggestion and you use with caution....
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I have several new files....

Is it possible for me to just make a new file and publish .
Yet I still don’t know how to publish to make all the new files show up. I have alway had a problem understanding files and publishing.
Omg....thank you so much for your help...
lummis

Post by lummis »

I believe that you have got duplicate files on your server! I found some of the updated files by using the "next" button on your page at www.plushsentiments.com/ISaidAPrayerOfSympathyBear.html. What you appear to have done is to use all lower case for the pages that you have updated whereas the list of pages you quoted as not working have words starting with a Capital Letter and some appear to have different names e.g /I-Am-SorryPuppy.html seems to be https://plushsentiments.com/i-am-sorry- ... puppy.html.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I see things that don't appear to work. The menu down the LH side of the home page doesn't do anything.

I see a PayPal symbol on the home page but no others.

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

One thing you could try is find a free web hosting site and upload your stuff there - OK, the root URL will be wrong, but, if it's all OK, then you know it's not you that's the issue, but your host.

Alan
lummis

Post by lummis »

@alan_sh

Did you read my post above saying that there appears to be files duplicated on the server. If you follow the links as I mentioned you can see that the new pages are all in lower case whereas Capitals are used in the pages that were listed as being wrong. Beth has already acknowledged that she has a problem understanding files and publishing, so may need a bit more help to sort out what has happened.

Beth

I think that you most probably have a similar plan to mine with Hostgator. If so, you should have access to the CPanel and from there you can open the File Manager which will list all your files. If you click on "public_html" that will open a folder containing all the files for your website. If you look through those files, you should see that some have the file name with Capital Letters and similarly names files all in lower case. Those in lower case are most probably a more recent date than those in Capital Letters. The earlier files with Capitals need to be deleted to tidy things up, but you need to take care as you may find yourself deleting a file that you need.

As you are not comfortable with file management, and assuming that you only have one website hosted at Hostgator, I would suggest that you ask Hostgator to clear your public_html folder and once that has been done, upload you entire website again. That way the only files on your website will be those in your WB project.

Brian
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I will do that and I will let you know...thank you so much for sticking in there with me. I’m so happy you were to help 🙏
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I published after /public_html file was cleared and all the pages that weren't publishing changes now show a 404 error....do I need to rebuild those pages I don't know what could be causing that error.
lummis

Post by lummis »

Beth

I think that you have a lot of broken links as some of the links from your product page work and others don't. There are still some that go to pages with Capital letters and when I change them to lower case the pages appear. As a start go to Tools>Verify Links and that should show you all those that are broken and need to changed. I also noticed that none of the links in your menu on the Home Page work so that are might need to be cleaned up as well.

Brian
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I was working on cleaning it up when this happened... I didn't think that misdirected links would keep a
page from not publishing. When I first built the site there were many things not done but it still published the
way I built it. I am very confused with whats happening.

Whould it fix it if I switched my website to a new server other than hostgator?
lummis

Post by lummis »

Sorry Beth moving the project will not help - it will look the same no matter which host you use. Your difficulties are due to errors in your project.

As an example, I went to https://plushsentiments.com/Sympathy-Te ... -Gift.html and clicked on the teddy "In Gods Arms" which took me to http://plushsentiments.com/In-Gods-Arms.html which is a 404 error page - the correct page is http://plushsentiments.com/in-gods-arms.html. Notice the difference between the wrong page and the correct page - one has Capital letters and the other has all lower case.

Now, if you go to the Sympathy Teddy Bear Gifts page in your Project and look at the link on the In Gods Arms teddy you will find it is the one in Capital Letters whereas it should be the one in lower case.

This is what I meant by broken links - until you repair all those links you will still have a problem.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Brian,

Apologies - I missed your post.

OK - If it is indeed a case issue, then I am unsure how this came about within WYSIWYG as you HAVE to select a page and can't type in something with a different case - as the examples below show. Beth - how did you create links?

lummis

Post by lummis »

OK - If it is indeed a case issue, then I am unsure how this came about within WYSIWYG as you HAVE to select a page and can't type in something with a different case
I believe what might have happened is that Beth was trying to add PayPal to her website but rather than altering the existing pages she made new pages with the name in lower case, not realising that when she published the pages the existing links would no longer work. Only Beth can tell us if that is what happened.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

Ok.....I just rebuilt page /isaidaprayerofsympathybear.html
Now it shows up. I am very excited about that, but how do I know if the page name should be in caps or not.... I would think the text in my wysiwyg building program are correct.
What made the text change to caps....and how do I correct that....simply by fixing links.
lummis

Post by lummis »

I am not sure how the Capital Letters changed to lower case - the only thing I can think is that you created new pages but with names in lower case.

Alan posted above one way that links are created which you must have done originally if the website has been working as expected. You do have other problems with links as the Home page the menu down the left hand side has no links to navigate your website. In addition the menu at the top of your page has links to wrong pages or completely missing. If you want to refresh your mind on the various links there is a tutorial at https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
lummis

Post by lummis »

Just to add that I may have misled you earlier when I suggested that you used Verify Links. I had forgotten that it identifies problems with external links, not internal links which is where you have a problem. Apologies. Normally the program keeps track of internal links but that only happens if you amend the original page but it doesn't know about any new pages that you add unless you redirect the link.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

If you want to easily change all pages to lower case, look at right hand side of the WYSIWYG program and you will see "Site Manager". In that box are all your pages. RIght click on any with some upper case letters and one option is "Rename". Click that and change it to all lower case.

You can then check your links (as Brian said) and make sure they are all lower case - or change it as my pictures above have shown.

In general, I always ensure that my pages are named all lower case and have no spaces or other special characters in it.

Alan
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I am just beside myself....I have spent a whole week on this and you guys have been amazing for all your help....I know It’s getting closer but half my site is still a 404.
Do you all have anyone I can just hire to fix this...I am so frustrated?
lummis

Post by lummis »

I am not a professional but would be willing to help you to repair the links for free. If you would like to send me your .wbs file, I will see if I can tidy things up for you. I am in the UK so there may be a bit of delay.

Brian
Last edited by lummis on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

That would be awesome ....how do I send you the file :oops:
lummis

Post by lummis »

You should be able to find the .wbs file in the WYSIWYG Web Builder folder in your Documents - when you open that folder you will see some other folders as well as a file with the name of your project - that file is the .wbs file. Send it as an attachment to my email and I will see what I can do.

Brian
Last edited by lummis on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand21

Post by sand21 »

I cleaned it up and I think it's working!!!!
Thanks to you guys at WYSIWYG!
Thank you soooo much for being patient with all my issues.
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!! :D :wink:

Beth
lummis

Post by lummis »

Well done Beth. Glad you got it sorted! :D
sand21

Post by sand21 »

One more question ...,, Everything looks good on my laptop, but on my cell phone it says non-secure in address bar.....
Any thoughts?
sand21

Post by sand21 »

Cleared the casche on safari now it works fine on my phone :D