Can't save pages

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
tabrown@pima.edu

Can't save pages

Post by tabrown@pima.edu »

I am not able to Save changes to a page. When I click the Save button, I receive an error message that the file is open by another user or I don't have admin rights. Neither is true. There is no other user and this problem has persisted for six month. I am able to publish the page, but the save button never works. I'd like to know why.
Pablo

Re: Can't save pages

Post by Pablo »

Maybe the file or folder is read-only?
Or maybe your firewall, virusscanner or ransomware protection is blocking access to the file?

Did you try to save the file to another location?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

this problem has persisted for six month.
Without sounding rude to you why haven't you posted about this sooner? Have you tried and looked at Pablo's reply to solutions?
A workaround for this is to simply rename the project temporarily, save, reopen, save again as the original name and reopen again and continue working on the project.
tabrown@pima.edu

I didn't follow up more previously because I don't update my page very often and just worked around it. I encountered the problem initially about two years ago and I have used the method of renaming the page etc, but it's a pain that I can't simply click save. I will double check firewalls, security as another poster suggested but I have also done that previously.
tabrown@pima.edu

Does anyone know where I can find the Admin settings for WYSIWYG? I can't find any area to change any settings. Firewall makes no sense because I can publish the pages, I just can't save them on my local hard drive.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You do not have to change any settings in the application.
Permissions and security have nothing to do with software itself. The software has no control over where you can save your files.
This issue is either in your firewall, virus scanner or Windows configuration.
tabrown@pima.edu

I have no issues saving any other file types - Office products, videos, adobe pdfs including forms. The only files I can't save are WYSIWYG - the problem is specific to the WYSIWYG app
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

the problem is specific to the WYSIWYG app
If that was true then there would be many more reports of this. I have been a user of the software since WB4 (2007) and can honestly say I have never encountered this. Are you using the latest version of the software "WYSIWYG Web Builder 16.1.1"?. Do you have the correct permissions to save? Do you have any other applications open at the same time? for example any Office suites like MS Word that you might be copying text from into WB or the likes of any image editing software "Photoshop" that has a image open it that you have used in the software at the same time?.

Another possibility is are you using the software on a "Network" that you are sharing resources at the same time as the software?. As mentioned I have never had this issue. I would check you have no other applications open at the same time that may be using resources with the software, your AV or Firewall not blocking it saving and you have any administration permissions (if needed) to save.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I still think there is an issue with permissions.
Saving files is standard system functionality it is not something that is specific to WWB.
The application has no control over where it can save files on your computer. This is controlled by the OS and firewall or virus scanner.

Please try to save to another location to see if that works.
Also, check if you did not enabled Windows ransomware protection. This blocks writing for 'unknown' apps.
tabrown@pima.edu

The error I get is - Access denied because the application does not have enough permissions, or another application has the file open and locked.

Nothing else is open that would impact WYSIWYG. I can close everything on my computer. It doesn't matter. I have no issue like this with any other application. I am able to publish my pages to my server but I can't save them on my hard drive.
McAfee is my virus, etc.
Windows firewall is not active.
I have no idea where to look for a setting (that I haven't already looked). I have saved it with a new name, which required changing my index in my server host, but then I'm right back here again. I can't function with this obstacle.
Any suggestions?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You wrote
I have saved it with a new name
Does that mean that only your existing project cannot be saved?
This indicates that the file is locked or read-only.

Note that the name of the project does not affect the index page or anything else on the server. It's just the local name.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

Supposing your project is called abc, try this.
There is no need to change the index file or anything else in the project.

1. Load project abc.
2. Use File > Save Web Site As xyz in the same folder, does that work?
3. If so close project.
4. Load xyz and click the Save button, does that work?
5. If so close project.
6. In the folder rename abc to e.g. abc_original, does that work?
7. If so rename xyz to abc.
8. Load abc and see if it's OK now.