Publish file locations issues

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
alan_sh

Publish file locations issues

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

We had a conversation earlier and I thought you said the file location for publishing a web site was stored with the .wbs file.

My situaltion is as follows:

I have two machines (laptop and desktop) that I use to develop sites.
I have a .wbs file stored on a shared dropbox like drive - mapped to my X: drive so that it appears to be in the same folder no matter which device I am using.
I have a network drive mapped to W: on both PCs, so that the published web site goes to the same place (my network drive is actually a synology web server).

I have been developing on my desktop and publishing to W:\pennine2020 - which has been working just fine.

My laptop has been used for testing things out - and I've been publishing things to X:\testing (a local folder just for playing with). This morning I was on my desktop machine fixing things. Closed down WWB once I had finished. No issues.

This afternoon, I picked up mp latop, opened WWB and opened the same .wbs file that I was playing with. Made a minor change and went to publish it. The folder it wanted me to publish to was X:\testing and not W:\pennine2020.

So, how has that come about? Where is the publish location actually stored?

Not a big issue, but it's irritating.

cheers

Alan
Pablo

Re: Publish file locations issues

Post by Pablo »

The publish settings are stored in the file publish.dat

Related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?t=30276

Related tutorial:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/publish.html
alan_sh

Re: Publish file locations issues

Post by alan_sh »

Ah, got it. So, if it's a 'new' .wbs file (as I have never opened that one on the laptop), then it picks the last one in the list (x:\testing is the last one in my publish.dat file).

I'll put a suggestion in that the location is blank for "new" .wbs files.

Cheers

Alan