*** SOLVED *** Site Search

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
Hbrownell

*** SOLVED *** Site Search

Post by Hbrownell »

I've been trying to use the "site search" in my project. I checked the tools menu option to be sure that it's enabled, I'm trying to use the jquery box, but it just opens and closes in a blink. No matter what options I choose, it still does the same. I have no errors (That I'm aware of), and I changed my meta tags to be more clear.

My settings linclude

results : Show reults in jQueryDialog
Modal checked
Resizable checked
Draggable checked
I keep checking display close button, but it resets

Display keywords checked
Display descriptions checked
Enable autocomplete checked
Pablo

Re: Site Search crashes

Post by Pablo »

Do you mean the software crashes when you publish the page?
Are you using the latest update?

To be able to help you, I need a demo project . so I can see all your settings,

Related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

To clarify, when I upload the site, I type something into the search bar, hit enter, watch the box pop up for a split second, and then it goes away.
Here you go;

https://henrisandbox.com/Files/temp.zip
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

So, there is no 'crash'?

I have found a few issues:
- the master frame should be in the same folder as the pages that are using it other the links will not be valid.
- there is a lot of custom code on the page. Some of it is invalid or placed in the wrong section of the page.
If you want my help then please share a project without any custom code. See the FAQ.
- the search input field does not have search button
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

Okay, so having most of the searchable product under a different folder will not work then. So, there's no reason to have the search bar to begin with.. That's frustrating.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I was referring to the master frame.
The links on a master frame are relative to that page, so if it's in a different folder then the links will be invalid for other pages.
The purpose of a master frame /page is to reuse the same elements. This means that all properties are exactly the same, including the links.
Therefor if the master page is in another folder, the (relative) links cannot be valid for other pages.
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

I'm not sure I follow. So, if I use the search tool from my master page, any page under "equipment" will not be found? But anything else on the same level as the master page will work. Does that sound about right? In other words, the search can not search within a folder, it has to be in a page that's in the same root as the master page.

ROOT, Master Page, Index, content to be found <--- ok
ROOT, Index / Master page <----Not ok
/equipment. content to be found
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

Maybe I'm using the wrong thing. What I want / need is to be able to search my entire site at any given point on any given page for any given product that's on my site. I THOUGHT that's what the site search implied. What I'm hearing you say, is that you can't do a "site search" unless the product is on the same page?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It's not specially about the search. It's about all links on the master frame.
- links are relative to the page
- if the master page is in a different folder then the links (including search links) will be valid for that page
however if you use the master frame on a page in another folder then the links won't be valid (because they are still relative to the master).

So, in other words you can search all your pages (in any folder) of your website.
However, the master frame (with the search input field) should not be in a different folder.
What I'm hearing you say, is that you can't do a "site search" unless the product is on the same page?
No, that is not what I am saying

If you make the suggested changes to your project and share it again then I will help you further to make it work.
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

I moved the master page in line with the rest of the pages. I modified and re-uploaded to the last link I posted. My objective is to search the term "Prodigy" and find the product. Thank you!

https://henrisandbox.com/Files/temp.zip
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There is one more thin you will need to change:
The folder "PowerPlusOnline.com" must be removed from the site structure. If "PowerPlusOnline.com' is folder on the server the you will need to configure this in the publish settings.
In the Site Manager, the index page should be in the root.

Also, there is no need to create folders for 'images' and 'jquery' in the Site Manager. These 'asset' folders will be created based on the settings in Tools -> Options -> Publish

After making these changes, the search works for me.
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

I have to have the folder, so I'll need the help in the publish side. It rides along side a few other sites on the server.

Does that meant that I can remove the folder from my site manager, and then have the upload go to the folder on the server?
Hbrownell

Post by Hbrownell »

Yup, that was it. Awesome! Thank you!