Help please

You can use this section of the forum to show your website created with WYSIWYG Web Builder to other users.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST or your post may be deleted!

This forum is for users to display their websites created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.

Rules for posting in this section:
1) Do not ask any WYSIWYG Web Builder help or support related questions here.
2) Do not Promote your website on somebody elses thread.
3) Do not start more than one thread about your site.
4) Do not say anything negative or mean about somebody's site. Constructive criticism is great and encouraged, but being deliberately nasty will not be tolerated.
5) Do not post any site that is not created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.
6) Do not BUMP your post unnecessarily/repetitively.
7) Do not speak/type in another language than English. That way everyone can understand you.
MikeT

Help please

Post by MikeT »

Hi there

I've worked on this for some time, but I think I may be going round in circles.
Although I have used breakpoints, the site doesn't always fit to screen, even on my own phone.

https://www.rhoscolyncottage.co.uk

Apart from that, I am getting reports (from family) that "the site looks old fashioned"

So I have to act.
If anyone would care to dissect my efforts and tell me how to get out of the mud without too much effort, I would be most appreciative.
I should say that I don't want to make it a "with-it" site- I want the house to survive after people have used it.

Any help appreciated

Mike
crispy68

Re: Help please

Post by crispy68 »

Hello Mike,
Here are some of my observations:

1. I'm not a big fan of having images in the background with text scrolling over it. Many times I find that the text/content on top gets lost in the image. This leads to having to add color backgrounds for the text to sit on so you can see it which blocks the images behind it and to me looks a bit clunky. Just my opinion and some may differ with me. :D

2. To me, I sort of use the home page as a large table of contents pointing out what I feel are the main attractions of the site. In other words, outside of your menu, there is nothing on the home page that highlights/mentions your reviews, the gallery, things to do, etc. If I'm looking to vacation where you are at, I want to see right away why I should check your place out. Here's a site I did for someone who rents out multiple cabins. As you will see on her main page, there's bits and bobs about a little bit of everything.

3. I get why your menu disappears to show the image in the background but unfortunately, if you are not fast enough it will disappear on you during mid hover. If I hover over 'information' and take any time reading the options and then even try to go to 'management' by the time I move my mouse, the menu disappears on me. I would personally either remove this from the menu or figure a way to keep the menu visible as long as you are hovering.

4. The reason why your site doesn't look quite right on a mobile is because you are using only max-width in the media queries. I would suggest you open up Manage Breakpoints and choose the option for "Activate breakpoints when browser window is larger than the device width".

5. The images in the gallery on my desktop are bigger than the actual lightbox image. I would probably suggest using the photo gallery option so that most of the images show up in a short space versus having to scroll a really long page.

6. Reviews are great to use but there is a caveat..... if you use a 'date' in the review, you need to continually update the reviews every so often because if you don't then you have the issue with what you have. The reviews are from 2018. :( This is not very current. Someone might say to themselves, "It was great in 2018 but what is it like now?". That's why I don't usually include a date with the review.

7. I would assume the biggest reason for having this site is that people will book it correct? So why isn't there something on the home page saying "Book Now!"? This should be a focus point on your main page.

8. Some of your pages the content is way below what they call the 'fold'. For example, on the What you Can Do page, my whole screen is just an image of the house. It's not apparent there is anything on the page unless I scroll down.

9. Some of your pages have no menu. Ex: Directions page. I have to hit the browser back button to get back to your site so to speak. All pages should have navigation easily seen so as to not confuse your customers.

I would also suggest just taking a look at similar for rent websites either locally or anywhere in the world for that matter and see how some of those sites are laid out for ideas.

Good Luck!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Crispy

Many thanks for taking such a long view.

I don't disagree with anything you have said.
I think my approach is maybe too restrained- I'll think about it overnight and come back if I may with any justifications I can still make sincerely. Not a lot I guess.

Thanks again

Mike
zinc

Post by zinc »

Mike;

I echo Crispy's superb points.

I would be happy to rebuild the site for you for at a reasonable price, if you are interested. (I am London based).

Z
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

As previously mentioned by others there is room for improvement. There is so much out of place that the comments from your family are true it is dated and old fashioned. Please don't be offended by what I say but it does need a refresh or what would the French say "je ne sais quoi" make it more attractive, stand out, distinctive. Maybe consider zinc's offer of help again please don't be offended by the comments they are meant as "Help" as you asked.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

zinc wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 am Mike;

I would be happy to rebuild the site for you for at a reasonable price, if you are interested. (I am London based).

Z
zinc
Thanks. Tried to pm you but without success.
Mike
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

BaconFries
No, I am not in the least offended or upset. I much appreciate some plain talking.
Thank you
Mike

I will do something, but je ne sais quoi
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi Mike PM's are disabled within the forum sorry but I am sure when zinc reads your reply he will contact you via the email address you have in bookings. Or you can try the contact email in his profile page you can get there by clicking on his user name in his post above.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yes, I'm sure he will- I had tried to email via profile page but that didn't appear either.
zinc

Post by zinc »

MikeT wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:50 am

Z
zinc
Mike
Hey Mike send me a email
zinc

Post by zinc »

MikeT wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:50 am

Z
zinc
Mike
Hi Mike just sent you an email.
pajadt

Post by pajadt »

MikeT Hi

This is not good at all, my recommendation is to buy one of the templates, For example from crispy68, it has great modern templates, at low prices, and then looking at how it worked to build a modern website.
Or pay someone to do this to you.
My most honest opinion.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks pajadt

Just as I thought I was winning! I am implementing your suggestion

Mike