Still can't get consistent paragraphs

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
jwellbelove

Still can't get consistent paragraphs

Post by jwellbelove »

I've always had issues getting the text on my website to format as I want with WYSIWYG Web Builder, but I finally came up with a solution a while ago that gave me consistent results, if a bit of a bodge.

I've tried
Use <div> for each line
Use <div> with position for each line
Include line-height in text styles
Use <p> tags

Apart from Use <div> with position for each line, the text never looks as intended (weird line spacings and the text overlapping the end of the footer)
All of my styles have the same line spacing setting, but often, a line with mixed styles will render with a weird smaller spacing than the rest. Other lines with mixed styles may not be affected; There is no real pattern I can see to when this will occur! The only way I have ever been able to get the site to look consistent is to highlight all of the text and set the line spacing to a fixed amount (the same amount that all the styles use).

I've now realised that this disconnects the text from their original styles (I assumed it would be an inherited CSS property) and now I have about 164 pages that look like they are using the styles, but are not anymore.

There must be a way of getting a consistent rendering of text without all of this extra effort.

This is how it looks in WYSIWYG Web Builder

Rendering with all styles set to 1.2 line spacing

Rendering after highlighting the paragraph and manually setting the line spacing to 1.2

And yes, before you ask, I've tried using the 'blue' style in the first paragraph. It makes no difference.
Pablo

Re: Still can't get consistent paragraphs

Post by Pablo »

Firstly, I do not recommend not use "Use <div> with position for each line" or "Include line-height in text styles".
These options are only available for backward compatibility, they should not be used with responsive websites.

Please see this related FAQ for more information:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... 10&t=34318

If you need further assistance, then please share a demo project so I can see what you have done.
Related FAQ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... 10&t=82134
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

I added some more text to the page, but this is how it appears in the WYSIWYG Web Builder editor.
The lines are squashed together, unlike the other paragraphs.
And it's using all the same styles as before.
This is extremely inconsistent behaviour!

jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

Pablo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 pm Firstly, I do not recommend not use "Use <div> with position for each line" or "Include line-height in text styles".
These options are only available for backward compatibility, they should not be used with responsive websites.
You may not recommend them, but it is the only option that works (mostly) for me, and it doesn't explain the inconsistent behaviour of the editor or rendered web page.
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

Oh, and this is not intended to be a 'responsive' website.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you have issues with text rendering in the workspace then please see this related FAQ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... 10&t=85917

Note, it very difficult to help you if I cannot see what you have done.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

You listed everything you have tried, but that list didn't include 'Default'. Did you try that one?
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

Yes, I tried 'default'
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you need further assistance, then please share a demo project so I can see what you have done.
Related FAQ:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

I've checked the setting and they are all as specified.
I've been having this type of issue for years, long before I upgraded to 4K monitors. So far, I've just bodged the page so that it comes out as I want.
I've been using WYSIWYG Web Builder since about version 9 or 10.

I've also had the weird effect when the lines in the editor don't have the line spacing specified in the style, I select the text, re-select the style, and the lines in the editor expand to the correct line spacing.
I then de-select the text box by clicking outside of it and they jump back to their previous 'squashed' appearance.

It's difficult to create a brand new example of this as it appears to be fairly random. I've just taken the previous saved web page and re-applied all the of the styles to the text and now it looks as I expect, both in the editor and web browser.

I've made the issue go away for this page, but all I can see I've done is hide the problem on this page for the moment.

I've been investigating **** Web Designer as an alternative, and it seems to be able to render my text exactly, with no tweaking required on my part.
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

Is the maker of That Other Web Designer considered such a bad word that it has to be redacted? :lol:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

BTW, This is how the page looks when choosing any of the other output formats.

Notice the footer halfway up the web page.
https://www.etlcpp.com/temp/successor.html

Here's how it should look.
https://www.etlcpp.com/temp/successor2.html
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The software has thousands of options and millions of possible combinations.
It is impossible to see what you have done based on the HTML code.

Related FAQ:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

If I can get a demo project to fail, then I will, but like I said, it's fairly random.
I'd send the current project, but I've bodged it using global line-spacing. Putting it back would be laborious and possibly not show the weird behaviour again.
lummis

Post by lummis »

@jwellbelove

I don't think you are making this easy for yourself. There may well be a simple answer that Pablo can give if you send him your project. What I suggest is that you produce a copy of your existing project by using Save as..... and then delete all the pages with the exception of the faulty page that you have shown above with the footer in the middle together with the associated master page(s). This will give you a sample project as long as you also remove all extensions and custom/third party HTML and scripts. Just follow the instructions for sharing the project and this should give Pablo sufficient information to track down the problem.

Brian
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Have you tried it with Direct 2D turned off? (Tools, Options, User interface)?

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If I can get a demo project to fail, then I will, but like I said, it's fairly random.
I do not think it's random. I think it is a combination of specific settings.
I'd send the current project, but I've bodged it using global line-spacing.
I do no need the complete project. I just need a simple demo with one page and one text object that does not work for you.

Please read:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

@lummis

The links to the page showing the output where the footer is in the middle of the page is a side issue. It's always behaved like that for me, so I use '<div> with position' for all new pages.

The real issue is that paragraphs in the editor, that use the same styles and look the same, can render differently in the browser; Alternatively paragraphs in the editor can use the same styles but not look the same in the editor and attempts to rectify this only has effect whilst the text box is in focus!

I have real users that need to see the documentation now, not in days or even weeks, when, or if, a solution is found.
As such I've had to resort to my usual fix of globally setting the line-spacing, meaning I don't have an example of the 'faulty' pages anymore.

I have not seen a pattern in when the weird behaviour exhibits itself, so creating a demo project is difficult. A lot of this seems to point to issues with the text editor control used in the application.
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm I do not think it's random. I think it is a combination of specific settings.
If I can't see a pattern as to when the behaviour exhibits itself, then it is effectively 'random' from my point of view.
lummis

Post by lummis »

All I can add is that no one else has the problem that you describe. That points to either the way you have designed your project or something to do with your computer. I am sure if someone else had this 'random' problem then either they would have notified Pablo earlier or would be saying so in this topic.

Brian
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Related FAQ:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

A nice demonstration of one of the issues.
Watch the line spacing reset to the wrong value as I click outside the text box.

https://www.etlcpp.com/temp/Capture.wmv
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

I found a new one today.
The cursor is now offset to the right so that it is on top on a character and slightly down.
It also only flashes 6 times and then stays steady.

No other application I have exhibits this behaviour.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Please note that WWB uses the standard Windows text editor component (richedit). I have no control over the behavior of the editor itself.
But, if it does not work properly then the component is possibly corrupt. A system restore may fix the issue.

**** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
Related FAQ:
jwellbelove

Post by jwellbelove »

System restore! Because one application doesn't work correctly? That has to be a joke, surely!
All my other applications work perfectly. It's only your application that has these issues.

My working day is very busy supporting clients. I don't have the time to try to create various permutations of a demo project to try to find a page that exhibits ALL of the issues I have. If I get time, I will try to create a cut down version of the main site, when I next see the all the issues occur.

I've been writing and supporting applications for 40 years. I've found that clients are not usually very satisfied if you try to tell them that the issue is their system. What I usually find is that their system has highlighted a bug in my application.
brynj

Post by brynj »

I have been following this thread and I am just curious as to why you refuse to share a project so the settings can be checked ?

Even if it only displays some of your issues as they may all be related - Either you want Pablo to assist you or you don't.
Last edited by brynj on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Please understand that I am doing my best to help you trying to help you, but if I cannot see what you have done then it is very difficult to tell you exactly how to solve the problem.
All I am asking is a simple example project to demonstrate the problem.
If the problem is caused by a conflict in your settings then I can tell you what to change.
If it turn out tat there is a bug in the software then it will be fixed.

The reason why I suggested a system restore is because the editor is a standard Windows functionality. So, if it suddenly stopped working then there may be a error in your system.
Also, by "system restore" in meant go back to a recovery point of your system to when it still worked, not a complete restore.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

If you do this professionally then I would guess you have access to another computer to try all of this on and see if you still get the same results. It could well be something on your system and trying out another computer would be easier than a system restore (nobody wants to do one of those unless absolutely necessary).
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

@jwellbelove,

I'm in agreeance with the others. Apparently there is an issue that you find extremely bothersome. If you truly want to see if there is a fix for it, you will need to find the time to try some of the suggestions otherwise you can't continue to complain about the issue.

Unlike Microsoft who won't fix a bug for a year or longer or at all in some cases, Pablo makes every effort to try and fix any bugs quickly if it truly is a bug which is why he needs a copy of a demo project to see your settings. All you have to do is reduce the size of the project you have and save it under a different name and then zip it up and send it to Pablo. Maybe this would take 10-15 minutes of your time?