Publish this text as an image

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
martin.mattel

Publish this text as an image

Post by martin.mattel »

I have identified an issue, at least not described anywhere I looked.

When you create a text object and format it with eg font Arial, 12 and you define to "Publish this text as an image", in my case png, everything works well and you eg see image in the browser.

On my site I am just working on, I use an exported Google font "Rounded Mplus 1c", added as ttf. It is working well and I have no problems in editing or publishing and viewing on the web.

Changing the text created above from Arial to this custom font, the image is created but empty, means that the png file has as set the transparent background but no text component. This is also true when you manually save as image.

Do I miss something?
Pablo

Re: Publish this text as an image

Post by Pablo »

Unfortunately, some fonts are not supported by gdiplus (the graphics rendering engine).
This is related to the way these fonts are constructed from multiple font files.

A possible workaround is to use the 'Merge' tool on the text object instead.
martin.mattel

Post by martin.mattel »

Thanks for the answer.
I tried that and yes the image is now merged and you can see it in the browser.
The bad thing is, the image is mispositioned versus how it looks in wwb editing.
So this is not real usable.

You can do name<code>@</code>domain.com but then you have to turn off html encoding for the text object :(

Maybe you have a idea how I can "transform" a text (email address) inside a text object into a object which is not easy text readable by crawlers.

BTW this would be a nice feature to mark a text while editing and put <code> </code> around without leavin html encoding...
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you can use a shape (with text) or banner instead?
martin.mattel

Post by martin.mattel »

Hello Pablo,

this is the original page I looked at with some suggestions how to hide eMail addresses from bots.
https://www.smartlabsoftware.com/howto/ ... ambots.htm
My vavorite is <code></code> as it stays part of the text, renders properly and is hard to parse for bots.

Example: <code>name</code><code>@</code><code>domain</code><code>.tld</code>
Renders to: name@domain.tld

- As you mentioned, text to image may not work with some fonts.
- In addition, you can not mark a text inside a text object and say - this pice of text as image.
- All of the mentioned methods have the challenge of positioning a image object in relation to a text object.

This thread turns now into a proposal / feature request :)

If you look at the current possibilities of formatting a pice of text inside a text object, you can eg link with various types. What about adding a possibility to add <code></code> around a marked pice of text and highlight it in the editor in a way it can be identified? This would have a lot of benefits:
- no need to leave html escaping
- no manual post work in the code
- integrated into wwb
- enhanced (security) feature
- font independent
- any pice of text can be marked
- renders normally in browser
- hard to scan by bots
Yes there is some effort in adding that functionality as some coding needs to be done...
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In the properties of the text object you can enable 'do not encode HTML characters' then you can use the <code> structure.
martin.mattel

Post by martin.mattel »

I know, thanks,

my proposal was to add a functionality adding <code></code> without leaving html encoding.
Like you turn a pice of text into a link - you add by command pre/post html elements around the marked text.

Just for completeness and to help other readers, I needed to add following manually via wwb in the page html between <head></head>, to define the font for the code element:
<style>
code {
font-family: "whatever you have used or want as font";
}
</style>
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm sorry, it will not be possible to implement this.
WWB uses the standard Windows text editor component (richedit), this component does not support this functionality.
martin.mattel

Post by martin.mattel »

Ah, ok, thanks for the notice.
Is there a page where you can enter tips and tricks / best practices so this way of treating eMail addresses can be documented ? May be of interest to other users...
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Tips and tricks can be posted in this forum section:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=26