Adding new page size to all pages doesn't work properly

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
alan_sh

Adding new page size to all pages doesn't work properly

Post by alan_sh »

So, I have my normal 30+ page site I'm working on.

I have manually changed all pages to 1280 and set that to the default. I now want to add in a 980 sized page to everything.

I set up one in my Master page and adjust everything so it looks right on all 3 sizes. I then add a 980 page to my index and check it looks OK. No issues so far.

Then, I select another page and add a 980 page using 'Manage Breakpoints'. At the bottom of that box, it says "also add to all pages" which I click on. I then select all pages apart from the two I have already done (index and master). It seems to work OK, but when I check some of the980 pages, the actual width of the page (as seen by the rulers at the top is variable - some are at 1280, some are 970 (I only checked 2 pages and both were off). Obviously, that's not what I want to see.

If you want to see the WBS file, it's here https://www.dropbox.com/s/it82nyfinew8g ... 1.wbs?dl=0

So, once again, what should I have done - or is this not possible?

Alan
Pablo

Re: Adding new page size to all pages doesn't work properly

Post by Pablo »

The page size is not directly related other breakpoints size, these are two different properties. The two values are not necessarily the same.
"add to all pages" only copies the breakpoint (max width)values , not any other breakpoint data because that could corrupt the layout. Because breakpoint data (=differences relative to the default view) only makes sense in the context of the current page.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

But the max width doesn't seem to be copied correctly - or am I looking at the wrong value somewhere. I expected the breakpoints to be added to all pages and, because I'd already set up the master page with a 980 sized look & feel, for that to get carried over as if I had added it manually. It does work apart from the page width being wrong (which upsets things as I have a page header set to the pagewidth with my menu inside it).

When I do add it manually, everything works as I expect.

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm sorry that is not how it works.
Only the breakpoint values are copied.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

OK - so what are the breakpoint values? Is page width one of them?

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

so what are the breakpoint values?
The values you see in "Manage breakpoints"
Is page width one of them?
No

The "page width" is not the same as the "breakpoint max-width". These values can be different.
The breakpoint width determines when the browser will switch to a different view.
The page width specifies the work space width, for design purposes only. This is used (for example) to align center content because for that you will need a reference width.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Ah, thank you

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Well, I started all over again. Created my pages in "default" and slowly added new breakpoints.I have breakpoints at default (1280), 980, 800, 700 and 320 (there are good reasons for having all those). I have very little or no content in any pages - I just wanted to get the structure right - just the master header.

I'm still getting issues with pages not displaying correctly as the breakpoints change. This time, it seems to miss some out. But then, I do something that I think is innocuous (such as changing the order of the breakpoints in 'manage breakpoints'), publish or just review and then it works OK.

I don't know if it's me or there's something wrong - I think it's me as no-one else has these problems - but I can't seem to get it right.

It's very frustrating.

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I think you are trying to do much at the same time.
Why do you add all breakpoints before doing anything else? Why do you need 800 and 700 breakpoints?

Normally breakpoints are added after you have created the complete layout and add them at points where the layout 'breaks'.

I am happy to help you but I need clear steps to know what you are doing to be able to tell you where is goes wrong.
My advise when using breakpoint and absolute layout is to keep things simple, otherwise you will are only make it yourself (and me) more difficult than it needs to be.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

Thanks for the response.

I'll give it one more go. I will create all of my 30+ pages with one default size - save that and check it out. I'll then add one breakpoint, check it out. Etc. What I am trying to do is set up a template design for the 4 web sites I currently manage. They are all essentially the same apart from some content.

The reason I wanted all the breakpoints I posted is that I am designing for phone (portrait and landscape), tablet (P & L) and desktop.

I may reduce that to 3 sizes not 5 if it remains stable but I think I need at least 3 (phone portrait, tablet landscape and desktop).

I'll keep in touch.

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

I took out all the breakpoints except the 320 sized one. Checked every page in WWB and they all look OK. But....

Here's an example with one breakpoint that doesn't work properly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv4r1krukzjrf ... y.wbs?dl=0

I do a 'preview' of the entire site. I then (using Firefox or Vivaldi (a chrome clone), change the window size of each page to ensure that the heading changes when it gets smaller. The page "Skills" and "Network" (both under Join Us) do not work and tried to display the full screen menu when it ought to be displaying the panel (320px) menu.
"Contact" does the same - and so do quite a few others.

I have no idea what is going on - but it's driving me crazy.

If you can help, I'd much appreciate it

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The reason I wanted all the breakpoints I posted is that I am designing for phone (portrait and landscape), tablet (P & L) and desktop.
it is not common to create separate breakpoints for portrait and landscape mode.
Usually in landscape mode the device will display the next breakpoint. For example, a tablet will display the desktop view in landscape mode and a phone tablet view.
The page "Skills" and "Network" (both under Join Us) do not work and tried to display the full screen menu when it ought to be displaying the panel (320px) menu.
The page width of these pages is set to 1280 pixels in the 320 breakpoint. And because you have selected 'center horizontally' the content will be centered in the middle of 1280. Therefor the browser will display scrollbars.

To solve this, set the page width to 320 pixels or disable 'center horizontally'

Note that the other pages the width is set to 970 or 320 so that is why they behave differently.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I am sure I checked all those - but I'll do it again.

Thanks for looking.

Alan