TELL A FRIEND IMAGE V2 - New Features * UPDATE 30/07/2010 *

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.

Are you happy with the new features, was it worth an upgrade?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 28

genieuk

TELL A FRIEND IMAGE V2 - New Features * UPDATE 30/07/2010 *

Post by genieuk »

Tell a Friend (Image Version) 2 Extension - With/Without Re-Captcha

As always read the PDF guide before posting. The PDF guide has been updated to reflect the new changes.

Custom Email Templates for Tell a Friend Extension

These are custom email templates and are not required.

Genieuk Custom Email Template 1 - Click to Download - MegaUpload - Preview

Genieuk Custom Email Template 2 - Click to Download - MegaUpload - Preview

UPDATES:

Any updates will appear here.

UPDATE: 30/07/2010 Unicode Users

This is not an update to the extension itself and only effects unicode versions of the extension.

The wbconvert tool had a bug but was fixed in latest version, i was not aware a newer wbconvert was released. The problem is the tellafriend.png image gets corrupt when converting to unicode so it shows on your webpage as if it is a broken image link although it's not, it is because the tellafriend.png was being corrupt by the wbconvert conversion tool.

For unicode users simply re-download extension from my website to fix the issue, overwrite the old .uwbx file with the new one and that's it.

UPDATE: 29/07/2010 *** Latest Update ***

This update is a followup of the update below (28/07/2010)

Fixes:

These fixes fix bugs if you use your own custom template (advanced users).

1) Variables processed by web builder using your own custom email template would not replace variables in your own custom email templates with actual string. This has been fixed.

2) To fix the bug above two new placeholders have now been added and updated in the pdf, so please read the pdf and look under advanced user options for updated information.

3) As part of the two bug fixes above, no web builder variables are used directly in the email template. To make things neater and easier they have been replaced with placeholders.

To update:

Simply download latest zip file from my website and replace the old Tell a Friend Image Version.wbx extension file with the new one, then update entire webpage to ensure changes have been made and old files have been replaced with the new ones.

UPDATE: 28/07/2010

Allot of code rewrite has been made;

Both re-captcha and non-recaptcha versions have been updated.

The extension has been re-written to allow users of the extension alter all the text so you can now display the tell a friend extension using your own wording, every aspect of text can be changed like error messages, form field titles, button text etc. It's very simple replace the default text in the extension properties with your own text. You can also alter the text in the email templates (advanced users) .. see below;

Now supports Custom Email Templates! (advanced users)

The update now uses 3 email templates (admin notify email template, email template with user message, email template without user message). This is recommended for advanced users only. If you have knowledge of HTML etc then you can alter the email template files to customize the email template layout/design/style etc to your own style. Simply open up whichever email template you want to alter in Dreamweaver, Net Beans, Notepad or something similar for example and alter the template to your own needs. If you don't know any HTML etc you can simply replace the text in the email template with your own text and keep the template style the same.

Fixed bug in form styling.

To update:

1) Copy the new Tell a Friend Image Version.wbx file to your extension directory to replace the old one.

2) To ensure changes are made, delete the tellafriend folder from your server but if you have made your own custom images back them up first.

3) Open web builder and configure the new extension properties to your own liking and then upload entire webpage and your done!

UPDATE: 12/01/2010

Minor bug in form styling.

Just overwrite your current version with latest version which can be downloaded from my site.

Updated in both versions.

UPDATE: 09/01/2010

Links issue. I received an email to state links were not clickable in emails. This is now been fixed.

If user sends an email previously it was not formatted with <br /> when user went on new line. Now when a user goes on a new line the formatting is kept.

UPDATE: 04/12/2009

Non Re-Captcha Version 2 is now available.

UPDATE: 06/12/2009

Another feature added:

Applies to both versions. Some captcha themes are a little larger than others. So now you can specify width and height of the popup window.

Non ReCaptcha version now available. It has been updated.

Corrections:

In properties i put "Captcha error message color" this was meant to be "Color of error messages". Nothing major but might confuse some.

So ReCaptcha and Non Recaptcha have been fully updated and contains new editable feature above.

Major UPDATE: 06/12/2009

Notes:

This update is a complete redesign. The entire extension has been rebuilt from scratch.

As this post was getting so large with all the listed features i have removed them from this post.

There are to many features to list here but all explained in the pdf file.

You can change every aspect of the extension, from style/design/text/custom email templates/w/without captcha and tons more.

Italian version will NOT be updated although it will still be available to download.

-------------------

Where can i test the demo?

Due to large amounts of spam and abuse of the demos, all demos have now been removed. I do apologize for the inconvenience ... but i cannot afford to loose valuable bandwidth and cause server overload due to heavy spam on the demos. Genieuk does not earn any revenue from the Genieuk website and as such cannot afford to loose valuable resources. To test any of my extensions please just download and install in Web Builder and test the extension(s) this way.

Where can i download the extension from?

You can download the extension here:

http://www.genieuk.com/webbuilder/downl ... plates.php

How do i upgrade?

You don't. Simply delete the tellafriend folder from your server. (backup any custom images you may have made).

Then download the latest version from my site as stated above. Delete old version from the webbuilder program files folder and paste the new version in the web builder program files folder. That's It!

Note:
You will need to configure the options again as this is a complete revamp and not an upgrade.

I think i spotted a bug or problem what do i do?

If you think you have spotted a bug or problem please post in this thread.

I will do what i can to help and fix any problems. I have tested this extension intensively but as always bugs is always possible.

By posting any possible bugs or if you have a problem, by posting in this thread here you are helping other users find solutions who may eventually get the same problem as you.

What's New in Version 2?

Please read the pdf file. If you used V1 of this extension then you will learn very quickly how much has changed.

How many versions are there?
There are two versions. One comes with re-captcha and one that comes without re-captcha.

What is the difference between the two versions?

With Captcha:
The difference is not major. The one that comes with recaptcha helps stop spambots automatically sending out unauthorized emails (spam). I highly recommend this version as it help protects your Tell a Friend extension form from being abused by spambots sending out spam emails.

Remember: It is always possible still that a spambot could bypass the captcha. This is not a cure but helps reduce or completely stop spambots. Like everything online nothing is 100% foolproof.

Without Captcha:
This version comes without recaptcha. This version as stated above could lead to automated bots sending out spam emails using your tell a friend form. Although it may not happen, if your site is popular and/or once it is indexed by search engines you may start having spambots sending out spam emails using your tell a friend form. I do not recommend this version.

What does this extension do?

This extension allows your web site users/visitors to recommend your site to someone they know (relative, friend etc). They can also add there own personal message that is then sent with the form to there friend, relative etc.

Here are some images:

Please note images has been compressed and quickly taken. To view in real time i recommend testing the extension yourself.

The below image is the email template that is used. Without a message from the person who sent the form.

The below image is the email template that is used. With a message that user entered when they sent the form.

New Admin Notification - Sample email

New Design and syle, completely customizable by you

A pic to show form sent

Last edited by genieuk on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:34 am, edited 60 times in total.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Just added a little poll, was interested in what you think.

Feel free to leave feedback :wink:

Many Thanks,
Mathew

UPDATE:
Non Re-Captcha Version 2 Now Available. :D
Last edited by genieuk on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
genieuk

feed back please ...

Post by genieuk »

EDIT:

The main post has been updated will all changes that was previously mentions and presented here.
Last edited by genieuk on Sat May 29, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

So can you comment to let me know which you would prefer old or new style?

There are some features i want to add asap but want a decision on the design aspect before i go any further.

Many thanks,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

genieuk wrote:Hi,

So can you comment to let me know which you would prefer old or new style?

There are some features i want to add asap but want a decision on the design aspect before i go any further.

Many thanks,
Mathew
Ok, I guess as there is no responces on which you prefer i will keep old style and just add new features.

Keep a look out, new feature(s) coming soon...

Mathew
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Maybe it helps if you insert a direct download link in the topic.
I like the newer colors and that you can alter them to fit in the page colors.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Eddy wrote:Maybe it helps if you insert a direct download link in the topic.
I like the newer colors and that you can alter them to fit in the page colors.
Hi,

Eddy,

I have added a direct link to download, if they not logged in it will auto direct the user back to tell a friend extension page once logged in.

I agree with what you say about the page colors. I think it is more neater to.

I don't want to create another version as there is already 3. I just want to know what people prefer as i don't want to change it if people won't like the new change, i have the users who uses the extension at heart hence why i am asking to see if the would like the new style or old.

Thanks,
Mathew
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

I have added a direct link to download, if they not logged in it will auto direct the user back to tell a friend extension page once logged in.
I do mean a download link here in the forum ,withoud signup or login to download the extension.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Eddy wrote:
I do mean a download link here in the forum ,withoud signup or login to download the extension.
I want to keep it for members only Eddy. There are 95 users on the site all from here so i think people are not minding to register. So thanks to those who have :)

The registration system and login before download is there for several purposes as said before. :?

Main purpose is to minimize abuse on my site and to inform users of web builder about releases, updates etc and when i add new member features in the future.

Regards,
Mathew
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Main purpose is to minimize abuse on my site and to inform users of web builder about releases, updates etc and when i add new member features in the future
Ok,I understand. :wink:

Maybe they did give answers about the update on your site and do not post again here. :?
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Eddy wrote:
Main purpose is to minimize abuse on my site and to inform users of web builder about releases, updates etc and when i add new member features in the future
Ok,I understand. :wink:

Maybe they did give answers about the update on your site and do not post again here. :?
Hi Eddy, no one has left feedback on my site about it.

what you mean do not post again here?

Regards,
Mathew
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Think what Eddy refering to is not to ask users of the extension to give feed back here if they want to post feedback then let them do it on your site and use your bandwidth and forum space for this purpose as it seems a little unfair that you want users to signup to get the extension and
to only use your site to be able do this ...the purpose of making the extension is so that everyone can gain access to them and not making it that they have to signup to a outside site to be download after all this only benefits you and not the community here.....
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

BaconFries wrote:Think what Eddy refering to is not to ask users of the extension to give feed back here if they want to post feedback then let them do it on your site and use your bandwidth and forum space for this purpose as it seems a little unfair that you want users to signup to get the extension and
to only use your site to be able do this ...the purpose of making the extension is so that everyone can gain access to them and not making it that they have to signup to a outside site to be download after all this only benefits you and not the community here.....
Using bandwidth on this site? This extension is for people on here who uses Web Builder, if that is a bad thing for people to leave feedback here then what is the point. People do leave feedback on here about extensions.

Also everyone can gain access to the extensions i create, signing up is not a bad thing, majority of sites use signup systems etc. Also it does benefit everyone as the user is using the extension if they want to.

I did not build my site registration system to just get peoples details, i don't share, rent, release or give any details to anyone, it is simply for when i add more features to my site and to stop abuse on my site.

It seems some people has a problem with me, i hope this is not the case as this is a good community and i think of everyone as a friend on here and don't want to ruin that.

Asking for feedback allows me to be able to improve the extensions whether visually or backend etc, hence why i think it is good to ask here as people here can then give me information and i can then hopefully use that information into making an existing extensions better which is only a good thing.

If that is what Eddy meant then i think this forum needs some clear terms and conditions so we can be clear on what we can and can't do.

Regards,
Mathew
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Maybe they did give answers about the update on your site and do not post again here.
No, no, no, I was saying:
Maybe they did give answers /feedback on your site and post not the same answer/ feedback here in this topic.

Sorry for my bad English :?
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Eddy wrote:
Maybe they did give answers about the update on your site and do not post again here.
No, no, no, I was saying:
Maybe they did give answers /feedback on your site and post not the same answer/ feedback here in this topic.

Sorry for my bad English :?

Thank God for that. I was starting to feel worried a little. I thought you was English, did not realise you was from Netherlands. :D

XxPeacexX :lol:

Thanks,
Mathew
genieuk

Update New Features !

Post by genieuk »

Notes:

This update is a complete redesign. Read Below for more information on new features and options etc.

Non Captcha Version won't be available until tomorrow.

------------------------------------

New Features and Options:

More Customizable Features than ever before!

Easier to use than ever before!

Some new images in zip file in-case you don't want to make your own!

1) Admin Notification - Get notified with pretty email when someone recommends your site. Comes with Toggle on and off switch. See image below of email that you would receive. The email contains information about sender and recipient.

2) Specify an email address to receive the notifications at

3) No more linking the image with confusing url's. Some people found this hard. It is now easier than ever before. The image you use that opens popup form is auto saved and uploaded to the tellafriend folder. Simply specify the image name like tellafriend.png and that's it!.

By default the image you see in web builder (place holder) is used on your site as the image is uploaded automatically with the extension. A bit like plug and play.

4) Javascript Auto Close. When the user has successfully sent the form and receive the success message the popup window now auto-closes after 5 seconds if the user has javascript enabled in there browser (most people do).

5) Error messages are now displayed under there relevant text boxes. Much more neater and visible.

6) You can now alter nearly every aspect of the form via the simple properties menu. Now you can make your tell a friend extension match your other site forms.

The new customizable options are:

Appearance

Background Color - Changes form Background Color

Border Color - Changes form border color

Form Text and Button Text Color - Changes color of form text and button text

Title Text - Changes title text

Title Text Color - Changes title text color

Title Text Background Color - Changes title text background color

Text Alignment - Changes form text alignment

Captcha Alignment - Changes alignment of Captcha image

Captcha Error Font Color - Changes color of error messages

Button Style

Button Alignment - Changes button alignment

Background Color - Changes button background color

Border Color - Changes button border color

Border Width - Changes button border width

Height - Changes button height

Width - Changes button width

UPGRADE:

To upgrade simply overwrite old Tell a Friend extension with the new one from my site. and alter settings to your own liking.

Non Captcha version as i said will be done sometime tomorrow so bare with me.

Image of admin Notification:

Example of new design. Obviously you can change it to look completely different:

Hope you enjoy! :D

Many thanks and as always feel free to comment on changes, all feedback etc welcome. :wink:

Many Thanks,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Another feature added:

Applies to both versions. Some captcha themes are a little larger than others. So now you can specify width and height of the popup window.

Non ReCaptcha version now available. It has been updated.

Corrections:

In properties i put "Captcha error message color" this was meant to be "Color of error messages". Nothing major but might confuse some.

So ReCaptcha and Non Recaptcha have been fully updated and contains new editable feature above.

Demo Updated: Where can i test the demo?

You can test the fully functioning demo here:

http://www.genieuk.co.cc/webbuilder/demos/demos.php

(click the extension you want to test drive on right navigation sidebar)

Thanks Everyone.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Meets W3C Standards

Built with Extension Builder 2.0.2

Will work with without problems with latest version of web builder.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

UPDATE: 09/01/2010 ** Latest Update

Links issue. I received an email to state links were not clickable in emails. This is now been fixed.

If user sends an email previously it was not formatted with <br /> when user went on new line. Now when a user goes on a new line the formatting is kept.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Minor bug in form styling.

Just overwrite your current version with latest version which can be downloaded from my site.

Updated in both Re-Captcha and Non Re-Captcha versions.

Thanks,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Unicode Version Now Available

Previously users who was using the unicode version was unable to use extensions. Pablo has now added extension support for web builder unicode versions.

Included in zip file.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Madalyn453 wrote:So where can I download it?
Hi Madalyn,

It is stated in the first post.

Download:

http://www.genieuk.com/webbuilder/downl ... ension.php

Regards,
Mathew
Last edited by genieuk on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

BaconFries wrote:Please note that genieuk (Mathwew) is probally unable to answer any questions at this time due to having health issues when he is able to answer he will relpy to your question regarding what may or may not be wrong please be patient....if your reading this mathew hope you feeling better mate...a speedy recovery to you...
Thanks Bacon, i pop on now and then to check for anyone posting in threads i made etc.

I am spending much less time now online as i am on a few programs with the hospital etc.
enzo80 wrote: i tried the ext,
but when i prevew published page i cant see anything only blank screen and i cant modify the text need to type the labels in arabic thanks in advance

i already put inside the private and public keys for recap
What PHP version are you using?

Likely the PHP version you are using is to old. You can usually update it by a simple one press of a button in your Cpanel, take less than a minute to do.

Have a look around for "update / upgrade php version" usually has a blue php icon above the text.

Or ask your web host.

Also i only speak English. If you want to change the language of the extension you will need to do this yourself manually. I like many others make extensions in English only.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

UPDATE: *** 28/07/2010 ***

Post by genieuk »

Hi Everyone,

Some further improvements have been made towards the extension.

UPDATE: 28/07/2010

Allot of code rewrite has been made;

Both re-captcha and non-recaptcha versions have been updated. PDF Guide has been updated. Please Read PDF - Important

The extension has been re-written to allow users of the extension alter all the text so you can now display the tell a friend extension using your own wording, every aspect of text can be changed like error messages, form field titles, button text etc. It's very simple replace the default text in the extension properties with your own text. You can also alter the text in the email templates (advanced users) .. see below;

Now supports Custom Email Templates! (advanced users)

The update now uses 3 email templates (admin notify email template, email template with user message, email template without user message). This is recommended for advanced users only. If you have knowledge of HTML etc then you can alter the email template files to customize the email template layout/design/style etc to your own style. Simply open up whichever email template you want to alter in Dreamweaver, Net Beans, Notepad or something similar for example and alter the template to your own needs. If you don't know any HTML etc you can simply replace the text in the email template with your own text and keep the template style the same.

Fixed bug in form styling.

To update:

1) Copy the new Tell a Friend Image Version.wbx file to your extension directory to replace the old one.

2) To ensure changes are made, delete the tellafriend folder from your server but if you have made your own custom images back them up first.

3) Open web builder and configure the new extension properties to your own liking and then upload entire webpage and your done!

Thanks! :)

Regards,
Mathew
Last edited by genieuk on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

This update is a follow up to the update announced in the post above.

I highly advise updating to the latest update that was released today 29/07/2010 as this update has fixed several bugs.

Fixes:

1) Variables processed by web builder using your own custom template would not replace variables in your own custom email templates with actual string. This has been fixed.

2) To fix the bug above two new placeholders have now been added and updated in the pdf, so please read the pdf and look under advanced user options for updated information.

3) As part of the two bug fixes above, no web builder variables are used directly in the email template. To make things neater and easier they have been replaced with placeholders.

To update:

Simply download latest zip file from my website and replace the old Tell a Friend Image Version.wbx extension file with the new one, then update entire webpage to ensure changes have been made and old files have been replaced with the new ones.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Genieuk Custom Email Templates

Post by genieuk »

Genieuk - Custom Email Template 1: (with custom logo)

Click to Download - MegaUpload

Genieuk - Custom Email Template 2: (with custom large logo)

Click to Download - MegaUpload

I have made 2 simple custom email templates to share with you all. They are similar to the default one but this one allows you to also add your own site logo to the email template! and some other minor changes. Obviously you can modify them further if you want.

Hopefully this will give you inspiration to create your own unique template.

Using custom templates can be a great way to personalize the template to your own liking.

Installing is simple as overwriting the default email templates and changing image url link in email template!

If you make any of your own custom email templates and want to share them with other members of the wysiwyg web builder community then please do by uploading your custom email template to any file sharing website and post a link so others can download.

Here are some images of the custom email template:

Custom Email Template 1

Custom Admin Email Template:

Custom Email Template Sent to Recipient without Message:

Custom Email Template Sent to Recipient with Message:

Custom Email Template 2

I did not have a logo of the size in the email template so the logo does not look great, but with a logo of the size specified in the template it will look much better or of course specify your own size.

Custom Admin Email Template:

Custom Email Template Sent to Recipient without Message:

Custom Email Template Sent to Recipient with Message:

Hope you like!

Instruction file included in template.

Please leave feedback, comments, suggestions etc. Much appreciate them :)

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

UPDATE: 30/07/2010 Unicode Users Only

This is not an update to the extension itself and only effects unicode versions of the extension.

The wbconvert tool had a bug but was fixed in latest version, i was not aware a newer wbconvert was released. The problem is the tellafriend.png image gets corrupt when converting to unicode so it shows on your webpage as if it is a broken image link although it's not, it is because the tellafriend.png was being corrupt by the wbconvert conversion tool.

For unicode users simply re-download extension from my website to fix the issue, overwrite the old .uwbx file with the new one and that's it.

Regards,
Mathew
jeff11214

Re: TELL A FRIEND IMAGE V2 - New Features * UPDATE 30/07/20

Post by jeff11214 »

I want to show the Tell A Friend link on many pages to my website. When the form is submitted from different pages the e-mail should show the link to that particular page and not to the same page as other forms submitted. Every page with a Tell a Friend link will be unique. What's the best way to accomplish this?

It looks like I will need to create a folder for every page and include a tellafriend folder in every page too. Is there a better way?

Here is a website that has "E-mail to friend" (next to Add to Cart) on every item page http://www.londonjewelers.com/h-stern-s ... celet.html

When the e-mail is received the link is to that specific page. Every item on the site has a unique "E-mail to friend".

Also regarding the link above and the "E-mail to friend" link within:
There is an option to "Add Recipient" which expands the form giving the option to enter additional recipients. Can this option possibly be incorporated in the future?

Thanks
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi Jeff,

The best way to accomplish what you want is to add the Tell a Friend extension to a Master Page instead of having duplicate tell a friend folders within other folders. Otherwise like you said you would have multiple tellafriend folders within folders which is not very efficent and is pointless.

The extension does not get the current page url name and just sends a link with the domain name of your website. example http://www.mydomain.com .

Thanks for your suggestion i will consider adding a + image or something so users can add more recipents although i will have to take a look at jquery to achieve this and i don't have knowledge of jquery so may take me sometime until i can add this feature.

I will also consider the extension to grab the current url the user is on so a visitor can send the current page url to there friend instead of just the site url. This will be very easy to accomplish so i will take a look at this as soon as i come out of hospital next week. I will reply when this has been integrated.

Thanks for your suggestions and hope this answers your questions/suggestions.

Regards,
Mathew
jeff11214

Post by jeff11214 »

Hi Mathew, thanks for your quick detailed response.

So, are you suggesting to create multiple Master Pages which have the unique Tell a Friend extension properites set for individual URL... then add the unique Master Page to each of my pages? That will be many Master Pages created.

Thanks
Jeff
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi Jeff,

I am suggesting just one master page with the extension on and have it then on everypage or whichever pages you want. What you want to do with with unique urls to be sent to users is not possible so at the moment its not worth have multiple versions of the extension on your website. When i update the extension so that it submits the page url the user was on then it will be unique as obviously depending on what page the user is on it will get the url the user is on and send that in the email not just the domain name but the actual url of the webpage they sent the tell a friend message from.

By using a master page you could add the extension to any pages you want and only have one instance of the extension on the server.

Regards,
Mathew
jeff11214

Post by jeff11214 »

I understand now. I'll be looking out for an update :)

Thank you
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

jeff11214 wrote:I understand now. I'll be looking out for an update :)

Thank you
Hi Jeff,

As soon as the extension is updated i will update the topic title, first post and make a new reply explaining the update :)

All the Best,
Mathew