Lightbox Slideshow ***1/10/11***

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
BaconFries

Lightbox Slideshow ***1/10/11***

Post by BaconFries »

Lightbox Slideshow Updated ***1/10/11***

***Update 15/07/10***
Update to fix overlay z-index order issue please read pdf

***Update 05/05/10***
A Update to allow users to add there own image buttons throught the extension to suit there own language I have included a selection of premade images to use along with a selection of new loading gifs to be used in the extension...Please read the PDF For new dowload see bottom of posting in red

A big thanks to all who helped provide a translation for image names for the buttons used in the extension you all know who your are :D :D :D thanks guys without you i would still be using babel translator...

Lightbox Slideshow
by Justin Barkhuff
***18/03/10***
Meets W3C Standards
Built with Extension Builder 2.0.3
ImageImage

Here is another version of the Lightbox Extension "what not another one I here you all say" :shock: well yes but with a little difference with this you can have it play automatically after the first image is clicked it can also display the caption area to the top or bottom of the image and it also has the <<previous next>> in the caption area as well as having the standard previous, next buttons in the image... :D read below for further info
About
Lightbox Slideshow is a simple, unobtrusive script used to overlay images on the current page.
It’s basically a better version of Lightbox2. In fact, the technical requirements and installation steps are identical to Lightbox2, but with Lightbox Slideshow, the underlying code is much better and there are lots of useful configuration options.

Here are just a few things you can do with Lightbox Slideshow that you can’t do with Lightbox2:
auto-playing slideshow navigate images via ‘prev’ and ‘next’ links in the image caption area when browsing a group of images, go from the last image to the first image (and vice versa) this is done by using the keyboard see below for keys to use.
c = close lightbox
p = previous image
n = next image
f = display first image
l = display last image
s = toogle lightbox
move the caption above the image.

Lightbox Slideshow v1.1 by Justin Barkhuff
http://www.justinbarkhuff.com/lab/lightbox_slideshow/

Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

The Extension can be found and downloaded via the Extension Manager in WB7

Download this version allows the user of another language to add image buttons to suit ther own language with the extension...
Updated 19/07/10
Will follow once I have some free time
Last edited by BaconFries on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

***New Extension 18/03/10***
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Grazie, limma..... :D
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi glad yuo like the extension... :D it may be possible to do this but I have one concern about this it requires users to make there own buttons and not all users will know how to do this..also the buttons need to be a certain size to display properly or they can distort the layout in the css then as mentioned you need to change the text display and this means they need to modify the javascript aswell to allow it to show in there own language... it could all be done in the extension but as I said below makes it a little hard due to language translations...but I will look and see....
customize the interface language this feature is not available with this version of the extension it may be added at a latter date as this requires me to test with various languages and as English is my main language it makes it hard to test with another language I do not understand. I can provide a work around that will allow the user to be able to add some extra code into the javascript file but this is for advanced users only
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Very nice Bacon. Thanks
jordan

Post by jordan »

. :shock: . BaconFries get yourself a patent on lightbox/higheslide etc extensions . :D . nice one again!
+TNX for the index update mail.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Thx jordan....I have the lawyers drawing up the papers for this as I write ...lol.. :D
protectourlands

Post by protectourlands »

Brilliant! I love this extension! Thank you.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Hi BF long time no speak, this looks great. Is this a newer version of Back Box, I remember all the work you put into that one. :lol:
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi morgan it has been...:) although very similar, it a whole new script I had someone/client who wanted to be able to have the backbox slideshow but wanted multiple images on one page... a search of "Google" got what I needed and well here it is I had it lying around just never got round to releasing until now...glad you like... :D hope everything is ok have your move...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi stempel glad you like it you will also see in the extension that as well as being able to use your own buttons you can use your own text for next, stop, stopslideshow, startslideshow, etc etc...as always if I can help I will try when using your own text remember you need to use lbStringsXX for your own language a full list of lbString can be found in the pdf so be sure to read...
giula

thumbnails with different width or height

Post by giula »

Hallo. I have seen at http://www.justinbarkhuff.com/lab/lightbox_slideshow/ , in section Example (group of images), that is possible to create thumbnails with different width. How that is possible? how can I get this?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

No sorry it is not possible to display thumbnails of various sizes this is because the extension is using groups of images all at one time, so what ever height and width you give in the extension properties all image will be displayed at this size...note this does not effect the images that are displayed in the slideshow they will be shown at fullsize..
giula

Post by giula »

ok

thx
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

If you use 5 images then five images will get shown/displayed on the page that you have the extension on the same applies if you have 10 images etc etc... this is because you have made this number of refernces in the html to load/show 5, 10 images etc etc...

As far as I am aware you cannot just give reference to one image have it load then when the user clicks next another image will get shown/load since there is no reference to the image in the html it cannot show what is not there....

The extension can be set up to allow you to decide if you want the gallery to play automatically once the users has clicked any of the thumbnails that are on the page you can also set to allow the user once they have clicked any of the thumbnails to view all other images if they wish by clicking next/previous or simply close.

I dont think what you want is possible the only way to speed up loading time of your site is to optimize the page weight by keeping all images to a minimum size so that users who still have a slow connection can view your site just as well as others.
protectourlands

Hi BaconFries

I absolutely love this extension and am trying to incorporate it into a site I'm working on now.

I notice "Captions" in the CSS, takes its text from the image title. I'm wondering what the Description field is for in the images manager. No matter what I try, I cannot get the text entered in Description to also display. I'd like to put a brief, unique description paragraph below each picture in the slideshow. I'm hoping this is what "Description" was intended for.

Like ddlg2007, I'm very grateful for all the work you put into these extensions.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

The caption in the css is for providing the use of a caption(Text) above or below a image without the use of tables it is also used for the size of font, color used. If you wish to give a description please use the "Title" input area for this the use of the description is used for providing a alt tag for the thumnails displayed on the page on which the extension is used...
protectourlands

Unfortunately the title field does not allow word wrap and paragraph set up so it is really only useful for single short text lines.

The Description field does allow wrapping, which is why I thought this would produce paragraph text above or below the picture. Not sure why this would be useful for an alt tag.

I appreciate the explanation. I can add the text to the picture outside WB and use these new images. No worries.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Thank you for your kind words...glad that this has fixed this for you :D
protectourlands

Re: Lightbox Slideshow ***15/07/10***

I'm trying to download the new standard version with z-index option and I keep getting the original 65 version without the option. Is the new file uploaded?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

The standard version of the extension does not have this added in the properties, I would suggest that you download from the second url as this has the z-order properties needed.
protectourlands

I really like the standard version much better, but cannot get it to open in front of the menubar.

The z-index works in the newer version, but I cannot get the close, prev, and next words to show like they do in the standard version. Is there a trick?
protectourlands

OK. I took the button images from the first script and applied them. Works great. Thank you.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Your welcome I will try and update the standard version to show the z-order properties in the next couple of days, so it works thw same ....
protectourlands

Thank you BF

I did find an issue with the button version. The previous button image value keeps changing on its own from the actual button image assigned, to one of the slideshow images itself. I keep needing to go back and re-assign the prev button before publishing. Something is crossing in the script. What do you think?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

mmm cant say what might be wrong I had this with another extension and it might be down to WB setting Asset Manager>Let WYSIWYG manage images and other files used by the project and I am only guessing, if I can I will look into but have took to my bed with a heavy cold and feeling really crap at the moment so bear with me....
protectourlands

No worries. I hope you feel better asap.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ddlg2007 the link was removed because of a issue I had on site, I wont go into it...There was two versions of this, one was built so that users who didnt speak english could use and add there own next, previous images and just a english version. There was also some issues that images used were getting placed in the wrong paths so this was another reason to remove. Then due to a major PC crash at the start of year I lost a lot of work this extension was one of them I did have it backuped but only the english version at present I am really busy with work but I will try and see what can be done to rebuild both at sometime in the near future...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

Do you still have a copy of the English version?

If yes is there any chance you could re-post that?

If not, no worries I will wait until you have time to update.

p.s...........when you do eventually re-post can I use 4 different Lightbox slideshows on one page?
What is the image capacity of each Lightbox?
Is it possible to input alternate text?

tia........
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

When I get the chance I will rebuild, and reupload...
can I use 4 different Lightbox slideshows on one page?
Yes you will be able to use more than one on the same page, aslong as each image used for each gallery has its own unique name this applies to the lightbox too.
What is the image capacity of each Lightbox?
You could use unlimited images, but please remember if using more that one lightbox with multiple images this will have a impact on how fast the page loads....
Is it possible to input alternate text?
Each image used can have its own description.
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok thanks Baconfries, I look forward to it.
BaconFries

Re: Lightbox Slideshow ***1/10/11***

Post by BaconFries »

Lightbox Slideshow ***1/10/11*** Can bedownloaded via the Extension manager in WB7
bry

Post by bry »

lightbox slideshow killed by renaming image titles

I added descriptive titles to the images in the lightbox slideshow extension and killed it. Maybe titles cannot handle "_"??

While I'm at it Baconfries, is it possible to add alt text to these 55 photos? (Just read above that description takes the place of alt text - thanks)

http://www.mickeysfarminc.com/photos.html

Thanks
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Thx for posting here bry I will answer you as soon as I am at my PC were I can install the extension to check what your asking...
bry

Post by bry »

Hey Thank You!!! Hope you are doing well!!!
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Afternoon bry, thanks for asking I am doing well still having issues with my eyes but just plod along.
Ok in a previous thread you ask can a "alt" tag be used the answer is yes, this is achieved by adding text in the Description section. You do this by selecting the image in filename were it will get highlighted then you can use the Description for a "alt" In the title you can add your own text so that it will not show the image name but what you wish to use.... You also mentioned that you broke the extension in what way did you do this.... Try the above and let me know please also note that I suggest that you try and use images that all have the same dimensions so that they display correctly.
bry

Post by bry »

Hi Baconfries,

Did you look at the link I sent up a few posts? It doesn't work anymore. Does it work for you???

It was working so I know all the image sizes are fine. All I did was change the name of images from 1 - 55 to a much better descriptive title for SEO.

http://www.mickeysfarminc.com/photos.html

thanks,

bry
bry

Post by bry »

Hey Baconfries, are you up??
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi bry sorry for not getting back sooner. I did take a look at the url and it seems to work ok for me using IE10, Firefox, but in Chrome, Safari, Opera some of the images break out of the lightbox container. I have also looked at the source and notice that you may have tried to add a url to the title also some of the naming of the images is rather long. Please check the naming and remove any reference to urls try to keep naming to a minimal if i remember this is a requirement of some lightbox scripts, as already mentioned try to use only portrait images or landscape do not mix as it may also cause errors like some images breaking out of the lightbox container. Note this version of the lightbox script is old and nsy have issuesvwith modern browsers so you may have to find an alternative to use.
bry

Post by bry »

Thanks. I will check names. I guess I could just dl the program this ext was built from. Do you know if it has updated?

Thanks much!
bry

Post by bry »

I just went through names. The first slide did have an url as part of the name. I removed that but it still doesn't work. The problem must be due to the long names. It worked fine when the names were simply 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc. But that is no help with SEO. So I will try to shorten all the names to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I will have to change out the extension. I hate to do that because this is such a great extension.

Is there a new extension that offers a lightbox slideshow?

Thanks!!!