Windows boot (Using an ON/OFF switch)

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

I'm not a fan of how long Windows takes to boot, but switching to an SSD really has made it a non issue. And I just can't imagine alienating that many people that still use W10.
alan_sh

Re: Using an ON/OFF switch

Post by alan_sh »

One of the main reasons for staying with W10 is that under Linux, I can find no decent email program that will connect to Office 365. I haven't looked in the last 12 months, so there may be one now.

Of course, the other one is access to WWB. :D

As for W10 boot times -with an SSD, it's really not an issue even if you do reboot. My desktop never gets shut down. My laptop goes to 'sleep' when I stop using it and takes about 1-3 seconds to from pressing the power button to logging back in (under hibernate, it takes about 10-15 seconds).

Alan
jerryco

Re: Using an ON/OFF switch

Post by jerryco »

With an SSD it takes my laptop about 30 seconds from turning it on into a loaded Windows. Very well acceptable to me. Also, it is far more stable then the early versions I grew up with. In the meantime, they have (pretty) user friendly update procedures, a good firewall and even antivirus. To me, I see no reason not to use Windows.

But it is a bit strange that they ask permission to send your keystrokes to Microsoft. So, aware of privacy settings, I think Windows has a good way to go.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

jerryco wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:11 pm...But it is a bit strange that they ask permission to send your keystrokes to Microsoft. So, aware of privacy settings, I think Windows has a good way to go.
Ah, for that I use ShutUp10.
It's excellent.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/latest-version

P.S. I realise we have highjacked this thread.
Perhaps it should be split off into the Off-Topic section.