Font problem

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Verdi

Font problem

Post by Verdi »

Hi,
I use the font "Tahoma". But if I check my website under Ubuntu with the Firefox browser the text is not presented correctly. The font is too big. My website looks very bad. What goes wrong? (I work with WWB 14.3.3).
(Under Windows, also using the Firefox browser, every thing looks fine).
Kind regards, Verdi.
BaconFries

Re: Font problem

Post by BaconFries »

It may be that 'Tahoma' is not used/installed in Ubuntu as it is a known Windows font, this will explain why it doesn't render correctly in Ubuntu... Note this is unrelated to WWB14 but resources in Ubuntu.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Does+Ub ... e&ie=UTF-8
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

Thank you very much for your answer.
None of the web safe fonts are installed in Ubuntu. But other websites look fine without these fonts. How do they handle the font problem? Do I need to use Google fonts? Or what would be the best way?
Kind regards
Verdi
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Maybe this will be helpful?
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/webfonts.html

Also note that if you have a flexible layout then the font differences will not impact the layout.
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

The big problem is when none of the web safe fonts are installed on the client computer (for example in Ubuntu). I think the only way is to load the font (a google font) to the server with a piece of HTML code on the beginning of the website.
WWB does not offer an automated possibility for this case, so I have to do this manually.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I think the only way is to load the font (a google font) to the server with a piece of HTML code on the beginning of the website.
Why do you need to add any code? did you read the link provided by Pablo? Please read the information in the link carefully.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

WWB does not offer an automated possibility for this case, so I have to do this manually.
This assumption is not correct, in WWB you can configure which fonts are web safe.
If the font is not in the list then WWB can generate the appropriate code.
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

Thank you for your answer.
I read the link carefully. I use only web safe fonts, therefore WWB does not need to create any code. But I have big problems with my website when there are none of the web safe fonts installed on the client computer. For example: In Ubuntu none of the web safe fonts form the list in WWB are installed. The missing font is then automatically replaced with another font. I do not know which one is taken automatically. Under Windows there is no problem at all. But under Ubuntu all my text is too big, it overlaps borders and my website looks very bad. It should be possible to choose somewhere in WWB an alternate (or better two or three) font in case none of the web safe fonts are installed on the client computer. Please try once to create a small WWB-project with web safe fonts, load it to a server and check it under Ubuntu, for example with the Firefox browser. Use a shape (a simple text box) then place any text in the shape and check it under Ubuntu. In my case the text is overlapping the text box. This is only an example. There are many other situations where the text overlaps shapes, boxes and so on. I hope you can understand my problem.
Kind regards, Verdi.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The only way to solve this is by including the font via @font-face or using flexible layout.
If the font is not on the system, then there is no way to predict the size of the text and therefor absolute positioning may cause overlaps.

Note that no one has every had any issues with this so maybe your Ubuntu installation is incomplete?
I have several Ubuntu systems and they all include the web safe fonts.
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

Thank you for your answer. I have checked all possibilities with @font-face. But this does not solve the problem when the required font is not installed on the client computer. My website remains distorted in my Ubuntu installation. In my opinion it will never be a good idea to think the required font will be available on the client computer. If the font is not installed your website will look very bad. One good approach to solve the problem is shown in the video from Brian Holder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtJ3M5VG-M
The required font will be loaded when the website is opened. Perhaps this slows down a litte bit the speed, but it is better than a distorted website. For this approach I have to add a HTML snippet in the WWB project. Why not include such a possibility in a more convenient way for the WWB user? Or at least there should be a possibility to define somewhere some alternate fonts in case the required font is not installed on the client computer. In this way I could check before which font could be a second choice. Without this possibility any font will be choosen from the operating system and the outcome on the screen can be catastrophic.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I have checked all possibilities with @font-face. But this does not solve the problem when the required font is not installed on the client computer
You are missing the point!. The whole purpose of using @font-face is so that if the font you use is not available on a clients or another users PC then it will still be displayed. The reason it will be displayed is because @font-face generates css in the HTML thus making it possible for the end user to see the required font used. You are also required to upload a copy of the font to your server so that it wil be used/read from the generated @font-face css within the HTML of the page..
In my opinion it will never be a good idea to think the required font will be available on the client computer.
Then this is the whole purpose behind the use of using either 'Google' fonts or @font-face. it will then allow you to use s font that isn't available on another users PC.
Why not include such a possibility in a more convenient way for the WWB user? Or at least there should be a possibility to define somewhere some alternate fonts in case the required font is not installed on the client computer
There is and its called @font-face or 'Google' fonts which are both available to use from within the program thats why it was added to the software. If you carefully read the link given you will see this in the images..
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Why not include such a possibility in a more convenient way for the WWB user?
As mentioned, this options already exists:
- remove the font from the font safe list
- enabled automatic use of @font-face.

The font will now be embedded in the page and should work on all systems.

But again, all browsers should support web safe fonts.
If not, then many web sites will not look as intented.
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

** Thank you very much, BaconFries and Pablo, for your explanations. **
It was not clear for me that I have to uncheck the web safe font. I use the Tahoma font. It works now as expected, but do I run now into license problems if the Tahoma font is loaded to my server? Should I better use Google fonts instead?
Kind regards from Switzerland, Verdi.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I wouldn't use Tahoma as in my past experience it doesn't show up on apple products.

I pretty much use Google fonts extensively as there are so many great choices now for fonts.
Verdi

Post by Verdi »

** Thank you very much for your help, Pablo and Crispy68. **
I will switch to Google fonts.
Greetings from Switzerland.
Verdi