WYSIWYG not related. Need advise :)

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
ruel.lago22

WYSIWYG not related. Need advise :)

Post by ruel.lago22 »

Hi guys,

I just want to seek an advise from you guys. This is non WYSIWYG related concern so I posted it here in the off topic section. I discovered an upcoming competitor yesterday with the same startup idea. They publicly posted their website URL on their Facebook page but I found out that they didn't purchase it yet. I'm planning to purchase all their possible domain. Is it ok? Is this legal?

And in the future, is it ok to set redirection to my website instead? Is it legal? I hope I do not trigger anyone here. I am just trying to do business strategy to slow them down. Any advise guys? Thank you!
[RZ]

Re: WYSIWYG not related. Need advise :)

Post by [RZ] »

you should get advice from your ecclesiastical counselor and your lawyer
:D
ColinM

Re: WYSIWYG not related. Need advice :)

Post by ColinM »

Hi Ruel,

I'm no lawyer and I'm not sure what Country you are in, so I'll talk in terms of Australia:

Generally speaking, if a domain is available you can buy it, with some conditions:
1) Some domain names are reserved.
2) If I register for a client I have to "sign" to say the domain and business are relevant.

To advertise a URL without first securing the domain name is not a good idea.

CAVEAT: For Australia only.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Magical

Re: WYSIWYG not related. Need advise :)

Post by Magical »

Honestly, I would discuss with my lawyer first. And if I had a startup idea instead of buying out domain names I would simple copyright or patent the idea. That would give you more protection then buying domain names. Lately domain names are not worth what they used to be. I have had people get domain names like aplaceforyourmom.com instead of seniorliving.com. And they have tons of traffic.

With google your domain name is only as good as how much you invest in SEO and SEM. Just my two cents.