How would you approached this project

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
RiaanN

How would you approached this project

Post by RiaanN »

Good Day

I would like some suggestions how you guys would approach a project like this:

You live in the USA and want to invite any business owner to send you their logo, sort description of the business, Location, and their contact details that you will put on the website free of charge.
You want to separate the various businesses by state
You want to add a search function to be able to search by state and type of business
The visual space allocated to the individual business must be constant for all the businesses

You are not allowed to use a database
protectourlands

Re: How would you approached this project

Post by protectourlands »

Simple using MySQL. I don't see how without some sort of database and query function.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

protectourlands wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm Simple using MySQL. I don't see how without some sort of database and query function.
As protectourlands it will require the use of a 'Database' how else are you going to store, search and retrieve the information!.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Take a look at the following you can search by keyword, category and location or click on browse by map or browse business by location for results. Note this is a paid script/solution and requires MySql and a database.
http://www.bizwebdirectory.com
protectourlands

Just curious RiaanN, why are you not allowed to use a database?
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

Good Day

That is a very long story, but the short answer is that the site owner is basically clueless, and is relaying on some friend's "IT Pro" son for input. But I am working on that part of the problem
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

BaconFries

The script that you are mentioning, do you have the contact details of the owner for me because that seems to be the ticket in solving the problem. I agree - there must be a DB in play. I cannot see a solution without one

Regards

Riaan
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

See the following Business Directory it is quiet expensive but scripts/applications like this usually are as there is a lot of work put into it by the developer(s).
Main Page
Note I am not affiliated in anyway with the developer(s) this was a url that I had saved and thought it may be of use for your to see.
protectourlands

Another option is Yellow Pages Directory and can be seen here: https://www.phpjabbers.com/yellow-pages-script/
I am not affiliated with them, but use their scripts quite often and find the developers very helpful if you need customization. They are extremely easy to install once you have the database.
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

Thank You Guys

I will follow your advise

Regards

Riaan
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

Good Day Guys

I purchased the Yellow Pages Script from phpjabbers.com. I installed the backend without any problems and can access everything there. My problem with the script is that there is no documentation regarding the integration with your website. The only thing that is given is the following instructions:

Step 1. Copy and paste the code below at the very top of your .php page. It should be line 1 of your .php web page.
<?php
ob_start();
?>

Step 2. Copy and paste the code below into your html code, where the listing will be displayed.
{YP_LISTINGS}

Step 2a (Optional). Copy and paste the code below inside the part of your page, where the meta tags will be printed.
{YP_META}

Step 3. Copy and paste the code below at the very bottom of your .php web page after all the other code.
<?php include '/home/tectolog/public_html/wb-sa.co.za/script/app/views/pjLayouts/pjActionListings.php'; ?>

Can anyone make sense of this

Regards

Riaan
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

It's basically like they say:

Step 1 - Click on Page HTML, choose 'start of page' and paste the code. This will put it at the top of the page.

Step 2 - On your page, wherever you want the listing paste the code. Insert an HTML object, paste the code and set Type = Do not use <div>. Insert the HTML box in a layout grid to keep it responsive.

Step 2a - Open page properties, choose Meta Tags tab and paste the code in the user defined.

Step 3 - Click on Page HTML, choose 'End of Page' and paste the code. This will put it at the bottom of the page.
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

Ahw man you are the BEST - Please remind me if we ever meet that I owe you a couple of rounds of whatever you are drinking

Thanks so much

Riaan
RiaanN

Post by RiaanN »

Just a follow-up question

If I want to have a normal page header and maybe a carousel on the page before the listings, what code needs to be changed in order to make that possible. I assume that the following code needs to be modified or place some ware else in the Page HTML ?

<?php
ob_start();
?>

You can have a look at the page at www.wb-sa.co.za if that will help you

Regards

Riaan
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

steps 1 & 3 are always put in the same place. The only thing that would change is where you paste #2 at. Of course you can build your page however you want and then simply place the HTML box wherever you want the listing to appear.