Define menu once

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
bnw

Define menu once

Post by bnw »

I am building a website with assembly instructions of different products. But every subset of pages with instructions for a product has the same looks and layout.

I have made a master page with company logo, a responsive menu and a Content Placeholder.

I have a main products page with an image gallery of our products. If I click one of those product images, the main page of this product is openend (which is a child of the main products page).
This specific product main page has several child pages with the assembly instructions.

All those pages are using the master page as Master Frame (requires content place holder).
In the master page I place a responsive menu, so this one appears on every page.
This menu is synchronized with the site manager and set to "current level".
I have also checked "Use hover style to indicate the current page", zo the current page is highlighted.

My Idea is, that if I open a assembly instrution page, this menu is visible, because this page uses the master page.

But for some reason I do not get the pages in the menu which are on the same level as the current page.

So my question, how can I place a menu, which is synchronized with all the pages in the same structure level as the current page? So If I open one of the assembly pages of the specific product, I see all the other assembly pages from this same product?

I hop, it is clear what I mean....The webpage has not been publiced and i can not add an attachement to this forum?
Last edited by bnw on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Re: Define menu onece

Post by Pablo »

Can you please share a demo project, so I can see what you have done?

Related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
bnw

Re: Define menu once

Post by bnw »

Thank you for your quick reply.
I have made two sample projects and will try to explain.

See https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RmwYgf ... sp=sharing

ForumExample1
On every page I have placed a responsive menu. So if I open one of the pages in that menu, a new page opens and the menu shows all the pages on the same level of this page.
If I choose a page in a sub menu, the new sub-level pages opens and shows the menu of all pages on that level.
That is because I have chosen for "synchronize with the site manager" - "Current level".
But if I would like to change the menu, for example the color, I have to change it on every single page....

ForumExample2
So I thought I make a base page with the menu. And I use this as Master Frame (requires content place holder), I have to define the menu only in that base page.
But for some reason this does not work. The menu does not adjust to the active page....

An extra question:
In ForumExample1 there is one strange thing. If I choose in the menu for "product 1 instructions" the page forum-1-instructions is opened, (see webaddress) but the page looks like "product 2 instructions".
If I select "product 2 instructions" it looks like "product 2 instructions" is opened, but in the web address is product-1-instructions....
If I click F5 to open the product-1-instructions page directly from within the wysiwyg web builder, I still get the right web adres, but the wrong page....

Sorry if my English explanation is not that good....
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The purpose of a master page is to reuse the elements, so the elements will be the same for all pages (because here is only one master) and there will be only one menu.
The menu is on the master page so the 'active' page is the master page.

I do not see any problems with the menu in ForumExample1 . Maybe your browser displays an older (cached) version of the page?
bnw

Post by bnw »

Wow, you are quick with your replies, thank you!

Your last suggestion, the browser cache may be the reason; I will check tomorrow.

About the menu and the master page:
Do you say in this case I have to place the menu on every page to achieve what I was looking for, or is there another way to define it in one place?
Maybe I can make a template page?

Sorry for these maybe noob or newbe questions.
I have some programming experience and with that I have learned that if you use some code more than once and on several places, you have to define it in one place and reuse it. When changing the base code, all the other places where it is used will update automatically...
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Do you say in this case I have to place the menu on every page to achieve what I was looking for
If you need a different menu for each page then you will have to create a unique menu for each page. The menu cannot be on a master page if it not the same for all pages.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

You could make your items landing page a master, and create a menu with the other assembly pages on that master, and assign your assembly pages to use that master page. I think you would have to do it for each item, so a lot of master pages would be necessary with item assembly specific menus as needed. I don't know if there is a maximum number of master pages in WWB, but it could get a bit confusing if not careful.