z-index in layout grid

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
prman

z-index in layout grid

Post by prman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm

I saw this mentioned in the forum with regard to using the layout grid: "Floating objects do not have a z-index. So, if the 'level' should be different than the object order then you can add the z-index yourself." I'm not sure how to do this - I've tried a few things and nothing has worked. What I am trying to achieve is some text on top of an image in a layout grid. I can position the text either below or above the image, but not ON the image. I tried saving the text as an image, but the image cannot be placed ON anything in the layout grid, only above or below. I thought if I can change the z-index of an object I could place it somewhere ON another object. Again, by ON I don't mean above or below, but the z-index. I searched the forum and although this has been addressed I couldn't find a specific way to do it.

I did see that with a floating layer, child objects could be given an absolute position and thus place ON each other. (In a floating position the children stack either above or below, just like a layout grid). I could do my design with floating layers, but am I correct that with floating layers I will need to use breakpoints to resize images, but with a layout grid I don't? Because in the layout grid, if I set the image to "full width: true" it becomes responsive, but this feature is not available in floating layers. So I'd rather do the design with layout grids, but I need a way to put one object ON another object.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pablo

Re: z-index in layout grid

Post by Pablo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 pm

You cannot put different objects on top of each other in a layout grid. Only absolute positioned elements can be layered.
But you can set the background image from (for example) a text object or heading.

prman

Post by prman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:17 pm

OK thank you. I thought you had a workaround when you said: ""Floating objects do not have a z-index. So, if the 'level' should be different than the object order then you can add the z-index yourself". I'll keep learning... looking forward to WW15!

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:20 pm

I thought you had a workaround when you said: ""Floating objects do not have a z-index.
No, that only controls the render order, not the position of the objects.

prman

Post by prman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm

got it, thanks 👍