Should you have multiple Google Analytics snippets in Breakpoints?

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
etcbbu

Should you have multiple Google Analytics snippets in Breakpoints?

Post by etcbbu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 pm

If I have a Google Analytics tracking code for a certain website, should I put multiple instances of that HTML Object that is the code snippet in WB, each one for different breakpoints?

Or, is it best to just use *ONE* HTML Objects, and paste the Google Analytics tracking code snippet into it, and then call that exact same HTML Object in WB to being "Visible" for every Breakpoint on a single page?

--etcbbu
Last edited by etcbbu on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.ktravisj.com

Travis J Consulting, LLC -
Website Design/Development/Maintenance, Web-Marketing/Social Media/Social Networking, SEO/Search Engine Optimization

www.ktravisj.com

ColinM

Re: Should you have multiple Google Analytics snippets in Breakpoints?

Post by ColinM » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 am

etchbu,

I don't see the need for BP specific google analytic code - google analytics will give you the devices used (AUDIENCE > Mobile > Overview) - I've always just used the same google analytics code snippet in the header record of each page I want Google to report on.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:22 am

Cool. Because I'd been using two:

One that was visible on my Default 970 Pixel-Width Breakpoint , but then hidden on the 320-Pixel Width Breakpoint,

Another one that was visible on my 320-Pixel Width Breakpoint , but then hidden on the Default 970 Pixel-Width Breakpoint.

But I'll just switch to using a total of one, and just have it visible on both the Default 970 Pixel-Width Breakpoint and the 320-Pixel Width Breakpoint.

Thanks!
www.ktravisj.com

Website Design/Development/Maintenance, Web-Marketing/Social Media/Social Networking, SEO/Search Engine Optimization

www.ktravisj.com

crispy68

Post by crispy68 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:36 am

As Colin stated, you only add this code once to each page you want to track. Whether you have 0 BP's or 8 BP's, it's all the same page and content so there is no need for more than 1 instance.

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm

@crispy68 and @ColinM, thank y'all so much, for your insight.

--etcbbu
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Is it ok to use an HTML object to use your gtag.js Google Analytics code snippet? or, should I use the "insert between <head></head>" tags, from my

"Page" >> "Page HTML" >> "Between <head> tags"

prompt? As I do it now, just putting the snippet into an HTML object, and putting it in the "masterpage", which then undergirds every real page of my website, seems to record whenever I "test" it by visiting my website on "Google Analytics" and testing the

"Real-Time" >> "Overview"

traffic. That is, it seems to track my visiting the website, and seems to register it when I navigate to different pages and whatnot.

Am to assume that's just as valid is inserting it into the <head> tags..?

--etcbbu
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Any thoughts? Does it matter whether you put it in <head> tags on WB, or, alternately, just using an "HTML Objects" on a Master Object that's then called to every page..? Same effect?
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 pm

etcbbu wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 pm
Any thoughts? Does it matter whether you put it in <head> tags on WB, or, alternately, just using an "HTML Objects" on a Master Object that's then called to every page..? Same effect?
etchbu - To the best of my knowledge:
1) It needs to go in the header.
2) You don't need (shouldn't) use a HTML object to embed the code as Google will be looking for it in the header.
3) Pablo being the awesome guy that he is has made it easy - just go to the Page tab and click on Google Analytics and place the code snippet in there.
4) If you have a Master Page for all pages then you put it there only - each page (once "constructed" from the master page + the contents of the individual page) will have the Google Analytics code snippet in it.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 pm

@ColinM:

So, what I have done just now is gone to the page of my website called

"masterpage1"

This page is set to NOT PUBLISH, but it is a "Master Object" that is called on every page of my website. So I now went to that Page, and, using the top-ribbon, I clicked

"Page" >> "Google Analytics" >>

I cleared out the line that says

"

Code: Select all

<!-- Insert Google Analytics code here -->
"

there, and simple pasted the Google Analytics code for my propoerty, that I get when I log in to Google Analytics and click

"Options" >> "Tracking Info" >> "Tracking Code"

And literally just copy/pasted that entire snippet in place of the "<

!-- Insert Google Analytics code here -->
" mentioned above.

I then went to that same "masterpage1" and deleted-out the old way I was doing it, where I was using an HTML object to paste the Google analytics snippet.

Then, I published my entire project, meaning, re-published every page of my website that calls the "masterpage1" page *which is set to not-publish* , but which also follows that method you told me, which had me put the snippet into the Page >> Google Analytics location.

Am I to expect this is the best way to do this?

Because now, when I am in my .WBS file, and I now go to the individual pages of my website, and I use the top options

Page >> Google Analytics

Certainly, those all still say

"

"

since I was thinking you were saying that I only need to do it in the one spot, in the "masterpage1" Page >> Google Analytics spot?

Under this setting, when I visit my pages right now, I am not seeing myself show up as "Live Traffic", like I was, previously, whenever I was using an HTML Object on every page, to have the Google Analytics code.

Are my two options:

1) either now start publishing "masterpage1" Master Object, since it now has this Google Analytics Code in the Page >> Google Analytics location?

2) keep not-publishing "masterpage1" Master Object, but then go through and Manually paste-in the Google Analytics snippet one-by-one, page-by-page, doing the Page >> Google Analytics option for every page of the website?

Or is there something else I am missing?
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Should I repost this in the "General Questions" forum, since, technically, the focus of this discussion has now gone off the "Responsive Web Design" topic, and gone more towards Google Analytics in WB as a whole?

--etcbbu
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 am

Should I repost this in the "General Questions" forum, since, technically, the focus of this discussion has now gone off the "Responsive Web Design" topic, and gone more towards Google Analytics in WB as a whole?
No, this is really what could be seen as 'Off Topic' as not directly related to the software itself but how to use, so should be continued at the following.
Off Topic Section

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 am

etcbbu wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 pm
@ColinM:
Please note that "at" tagging doesn't work in this forum.
etcbbu wrote:
So, what I have done just now is gone to the page of my website called

"masterpage1"

This page is set to NOT PUBLISH,
Why would you set page to NOT PUBLISH if it is a master page? You will need to publish this page with the other pages that use it.
etcbbu wrote:

but it is a "Master Object" that is called on every page of my website. So I now went to that Page, and, using the top-ribbon, I clicked

"Page" >> "Google Analytics" >>

I cleared out the line that says

"

"

there, and simple pasted the Google Analytics code for my propoerty, that I get when I log in to Google Analytics and click

"Options" >> "Tracking Info" >> "Tracking Code"

And literally just copy/pasted that entire snippet in place of the "<

!-- Insert Google Analytics code here -->
" mentioned above.

I then went to that same "masterpage1" and deleted-out the old way I was doing it, where I was using an HTML object to paste the Google analytics snippet.

Then, I published my entire project, meaning, re-published every page of my website that calls the "masterpage1" page *which is set to not-publish* , but which also follows that method you told me, which had me put the snippet into the Page >> Google Analytics location.

Am I to expect this is the best way to do this?
It's a recommended way and what I use.
etcbbu wrote:

Because now, when I am in my .WBS file, and I now go to the individual pages of my website, and I use the top options

Page >> Google Analytics

Certainly, those all still say

"

"
That is correct. If you don't use a Master Page then you will need to add the Google Analytics code snippet into each page you want google to analyse and report on. Web builders GUI functionality reflects this.
etcbbu wrote:

since I was thinking you were saying that I only need to do it in the one spot, in the "masterpage1" Page >> Google Analytics spot?
Not quite correct. If you are using one Master Page and referring to that Master Page then you only need to use the snippet in one spot.
etcbbu wrote:
Under this setting, when I visit my pages right now, I am not seeing myself show up as "Live Traffic", like I was, previously, whenever I was using an HTML Object on every page, to have the Google Analytics code.
That is probably because you set the Master Page to NOT PUBLISH
etcbbu wrote:

Are my two options:

1) either now start publishing "masterpage1" Master Object, since it now has this Google Analytics Code in the Page >> Google Analytics location?

2) keep not-publishing "masterpage1" Master Object, but then go through and Manually paste-in the Google Analytics snippet one-by-one, page-by-page, doing the Page >> Google Analytics option for every page of the website?

Or is there something else I am missing?
If you want to use the Master Page for each page then option 1) - but you will need to publish it.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

etcbbu

Post by etcbbu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Hmm..interesting..I've never published my Master Objects in any of my projects that serve as my masterpages that comprise my headers and footers and stuff like that, which are called on every page of my website projects, because I'd rather not publish extra php or .html pages on my web-space for SEO purposes.

So I'm going to use this method of pasting the Google analytics code, page-by-page, on every project, in that "Head" area, one-by-one.

Thank you for the help, ColinM! I know that the " @ " call doesn't technically create a link or have any real functionality beyond just raw text of an " @" sign, but I just was doing it anyway. Again, thank you for your help!

Does this sound like an acceptable way to use Google Analytics in my WB projects? I would just like to know, for sure, moving forward, because I will probably roll this out to multiple projects, if so.
www.ktravisj.com

www.ktravisj.com