***SOLVED***Project changes when opened on different computers

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
grepper

***SOLVED***Project changes when opened on different computers

Post by grepper »

The two menus are just shapes in two layout grids with 6 columns each. Top menu is 10 pt. text, the bottom is 12.

When a friend opens the project (on two different computers) the text size in the menus change. The top menu changes to 12 and the bottom to 15.

We are both using the same WWB version, 16.2.0, Windows 10.

Of course when I save/open the project it works perfectly and the text size does not change.

Any ideas?

Project file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v195eftx61c5e ... t.wbs?dl=0

Thanks!
alan_sh

Re: Project changes when opened on different computers

Post by alan_sh »

Does your friend have the same fonts loaded on his PC?
grepper

Post by grepper »

Does he have the same fonts installed?

I thought of that too. The font is Arial 10 & 12 pt. That's about as standard as there is and comes with Windows.

Could I possibly be mistaken in that thinking?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

When a friend opens the project (on two different computers) the text size in the menus change. The top menu changes to 12 and the bottom to 15.
This is most likely related to the DPI settings of the different PC's
See the following:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... 10&t=85917

When setting the size of fonts it is in points so where you have set to 12 points (pt) this is equal to 16px (pixels) A eg for each point used in a font is 10pt x 1.333(3) = 13px
See the following table.
grepper

Post by grepper »

Thank you for your reply BaconFries, but that is not the issue.

The below linked project only has a text box in it. It contains Arial 12 pt text. When I send this to my friend and he opens it, the font changes to Arial 15 pt.

When I save the project, shut down WWB, click the saved project it opens and the font size is unchanged at Arial 12.

We have repeated this many times. It’s stupidly simple. When I send it to him and he opens the project, the font size is changed to 15.

It’s not a zooming issue. The font size actually changes in the text box.

I’m at a loss. Has nobody else experienced this?

Please open this project. What is the font size in the text box?

Project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhn6qdkwyi7wy ... t.wbs?dl=0

Thanks!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I am pretty sure that this issue is related to the DPI configuration.

Please see this related FAQ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/ ... 10&t=85917

On my computer the font in your project is 12pt (= 16px).
grepper

Post by grepper »

Thank you for your reply and for trying the project Pablo. Both you and BaconFries have told me the same thing. It surprises me that those settings would actually change the specified text size. We will experiment with those settings and see if that fixes it. As it is, they are at the default settings on both of our computers. Both computers are new with plenty of graphics ability.

Thanks!
grepper

Post by grepper »

I have read the provided link about DPI, but I don't think that is what is going on. This is not an issue with how Windows renders the text, but rather the page HTML actually changes.

My friend makes a simple project with just a text box with Ariel 12 pt text. He checked the Object HTML and it shows the size as 15 px. Why it is 15 and not 16 is another question.

If he closes the project, closes WWB and then opens the project by clicking the wbs file, the HTML for the text box still shows 15 px size.

When he sends me the wbs file and I open it the text box Object HTML shows 10 pt, 13 px.

Do you still think this is due to DPI settings? How could the page HTML change from one computer to another? Surely the actual HTML in the project should not change when loaded in a different computer, right?

Please excuse me if I'm being really dense.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

My friend makes a simple project with just a text box with Ariel 12 pt text. He checked the Object HTML and it shows the size as 15 px.
This is correct. The sizes in the workspace are in points, the published sizes are in pixels. See also the conversion table in BaconFries's reply.
grepper

Post by grepper »

Yes Pablo. Thanks for the reply.

I understand pt vs px font size.

What I'm saying is that when he saves a project with 15 px font size and then I open it on my computer the font size is changed to 13 px.

When he saves a project with one font size, when I open the project the Object HTML shows a different font size. The font family is always the same but the size is not.

If a project is saved with 12 pt font on one computer and then opened on another the font size should be the same, right? Yes, it may display differently, but the HTML font size in the text box should be the same as when the project was saved, right?

Am I correct is thinking that WWB does not change specified text sizes in the HTML when opening a project?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I still think this is related to the DPI configuration. The DPI determines how font calculations are done. If one of the computers is not DPI aware then the wrong base values will be used.
Please make sure both computers use the same configuration.
grepper

Post by grepper »

Enabling high DPI support in WWB on his computer fixed it.

Sorry for being so slow to accept that was the issue.  You guys were right from the start.  Doh!

Thank you so much Pablo and BaconFries for your patience and taking the time to explain it (over and over) until I understood what was happening and why.

That was excellent product support and really appreciated.
mike_kallet

Re: ***SOLVED***Project changes when opened on different computers

Post by mike_kallet »

I know this is later then the dialogs below. I had this same problem between a work laptop and desktop. The DPI was set the same, but on the laptop I had the scale set to 125%. The font size as displayed with text was Arial, 12 on one machine, and the same exact file and version of wysiwyg displayed the text size as Arial, size 15. So the preview and the published web page was all out of sorts. I changed the 125% to 100% and the "15" became "12".

I think an important option for people who use a traveling laptop and a desktop, or those who share projects should be to either take into account the DPI / Scale setting or ignore it.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Please enable high DPI support in Tools -> Options -> User Interface
mike_kallet

Post by mike_kallet »

Thanks. that fixed the issue. !!