Meta tags - ver 15.2.1 64bit

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
MGD4me

Meta tags - ver 15.2.1 64bit

Post by MGD4me »

I recently ran into a weird phenomenon when I needed to update my site Meta tags. After I made the necessary change, the tags are displayed twice, sequentially. Both in the Preview mode, and after I publish, and then 'view source'.

If I completely delete the tags, they are no longer visible in 'view source' as expected. I then type in new entries for either Meta tags, or Description, and BOTH are published in duplicate. The weird thing is that when I am WWB and view the Page HTML the tags are correctly showing only a single occurrence, yet after publishing (or previewing) they show twice.

Version 15.2.1 64bit

Ideas?

Thanks
BaconFries

Re: Meta tags - ver 15.2.1 64bit

Post by BaconFries »

This is probably due to you adding the meta tags in the Site Properties when you do then they will be added to all pages.
Also if you include them in the Page Properties then they will be duplicated.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

This is probably due to you adding the meta tags in the Site Properties when you do then they will be added to all pages.
Quite correct... but that is where it gets weird. Each individual Page Properties shows exactly the same Meta data which I stored in the Site Properties, which I would expect to see. I have added nothing extra, other than whatever I place in Site properties. This results in the repeated Meta tabs.

However, further to your observation, I decided to delete the Meta tabs from a couple of Page properties so that there is nothing in those fields of the individual pages, and left the Site Properties as they were (with Meta data). Now, the site publishes correctly, with only a single instance of the Meta data.

I must be missing something, as in early versions (14 and below), I only ever added Meta data to the Site Properties, and everything else just worked. The way it is, as I change Meta in the Site Properties I would need to clear out the Meta from all the individual pages, which doesn't make sense. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure what I'm doing any differently than before.

Curious.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I must be missing something, as in early versions (14 and below), I only ever added Meta data to the Site Properties, and everything else just worked.
This behavior has not changed. It works the same as in previous versions.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

About one week ago my PC crashed, and I had to replace the hard drive, and re-load all programs, including WWB. Might here be some option or configuration I may have over-looked which would cause this double entry?

Thanks
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There is no dedicated setting for this.
But if you add the code in both Site Properties and Page Properties then you will have duplicated entries.

Note that this behavior as not changed recently, it been has working like this for years.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

Note that this behavior as not changed recently, it been has working like this for years.
I hear you, which means I am doing something incorrectly. That is where I still have an issue.
But if you add the code in both Site Properties and Page Properties then you will have duplicated entries.
I am only inserting code into Site Properties, and 'mysteriously' each page then shows the same code in it's Page Properties.

I would be curious if anyone else has encountered this situation, and might offer their feedback.

I appreciate your help!
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

Do you have the meta info in a master page?
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

Do you have the meta info in a master page?
Yes, it is there, but I didn't place it there. I only insert the code into the main Site Properties and all subsequent pages become populated 'automatically', including the Master page.

Thanks.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Yes, it is there, but I didn't place it there. I only insert the code into the main Site Properties and all subsequent pages become populated 'automatically', including the Master page.
Correct. There is also a message that will indicate that will happen when you click 'OK'
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

I get the same results - no page properties meta tags, then add them to Site properties, say okay to update all pages, then look at the generated code. The meta tags are duplicated, but there is no comma inserted after the first iteration, so they come out as "meta1, meta2, meta3meta1, meta2,meta3".
That might confuse search engines and you won't get the result you expected for the last entry in the meta tags list (unless you add the comma after the last entry yourself). A curious result but I'm not sure the search engines would lower your ranking due to duplicate entries so it 'shouldn't' cause trouble.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The site properties will add the meta tags to all pages when you click 'OK'
The meta tags will be inserted "AS IS", the software will not modify the text and therefor no commas will be added.
if you do not want the properties to be added to all pages when using Site Properties then use Multi-page properties instead.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

Thanks Pablo. I would have hoped WWB didn't add anything on its own! It was just a heads up that the last entry will get corrupted w/o adding the comma.
Also it looks like a master page meta data will be used on any page that uses that master, without the duplication issue, which is good.
I noticed that the description gets duplicated in the output code if using Site Properties to enter it.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

I figured out how to avoid publishing double Meta tags !!

I use a Master Page, which makes it easier to maintain the same header 'look and 'feel' on all other web pages. When I used Site Properties to add the Meta tags, it added those tags to all pages in the project, which I knew, but didn't understand the consequences.

When the site is published, the Meta tags of the Master Page is combined with the Meta tags of the individual pages, resulting in double posts. I decided to delete the Site properties Meta tags and only paste them in the Master Page properties instead. Voila... now each page publishes whatever Meta data is on the Master Page, and no more duplicates!! Problem solved!

Thanks for everyone's help!!