hidden dynamic content pushing page length

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Phidippus

hidden dynamic content pushing page length

Post by Phidippus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:22 am

This WB page here
http://www.iukabiz.com/gov_staff/index.php
uses custom PHP scripts to place mysql content into nice columns. I have different scripts at different breakpoints because I'm using separate scripts for columns "a, b, c" or columns "left, right" or "single column", depending on the breakpoint. It's just the way I coded it so that the layout order of the "boxes" is always left to right then down and left to right, etc.
Anyway.... maybe none of that matters.....
The problem is that the scripts that display longer columns are hidden on the wider breakpoints, but the page length acts like they are still there.
So here's the question if you want to jump here:
Should you be able to (or can you) hide dynamic content that is placed using an html container and not have the page length act like the dynamic content is there but just invisible ?
Notice on the desktop breakpoint here http://www.iukabiz.com/gov_staff/index.php
that the page is as long as the mobile breakpoint. I've tested this by deleting the mobile html scripts and the desktop breakpoint behaves properly.
There is no actual content below the "ending fluorish" on each page.... I've checked.
Thanks.... WB 12.5 -gp
Last edited by Phidippus on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phidippus

Re: hidden dynamic content pushing page length

Post by Phidippus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:09 am

I can fix it by editing the css and adding overflow parameters where applicable. That is, where the object is hidden, I add overflow invisible,
and vice versa. You can edit the overflow visibility within the HTML object parameters, but they are not definable per breakpoint, so I have to
do that manually.
where: visibility: visible;
I add: overflow: visible;
and where: visibility: hidden;
I add: overflow: hidden;

I've left the page with the overflow problem for now in case someone wants to take a look. And then sometime in the next 24 hours, I'll upload
my custom css to fix the problem.
I suppose the only easy fix within the program would be if overflow was a responsive setting...
or if when visibility was set for hidden (hiding an object at a breakpoint) visibility: hidden would be automatically added.
The reverse also has to happen when the properties are mixed on the css page, that is, when an object is set for visibility,
the overflow: visible. Here lies the problem, as when an object is visible, you want the overflow selectable. So the solution might
be to have a checkbox that forces the same overflow setting as object visibility.... or not. 8)

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 am

If you add your own code then you are responsible for making it responsive. There is no way for the application to know what you code does, so it cannot modify it automatically.

Phidippus

Post by Phidippus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:25 pm

I just did a test using simple div layer objects.
If you have a div layer object that is hidden in one breakpoint but positioned lower in another breakpoint, its position will still effect the page length of breakpoints in which it is hidden. Even though it is hidden, it must be positioned above the visible page desired page end.
I suppose this has always been the case and I just never had a problem before that I noticed. :D
I'm just pointing out that in this test, it has nothing to do with custom content, but maybe it's just ... the way it is.
My custom content is just dynamic content that makes the hidden div even "longer" and so pushed my page length where the content was hidden even longer. I can fix it by making sure the hidden HTML objects (positioned by div) are positioned higher and that I make the overflow hidden using my custom css in those breakpoints so that the dynamic content doesn't make the hidden div even longer.
No complaints... just making sure you understood what I was saying in case this was not the intended behavior of the program.
I have my workaround so all is good.
Thanks... gp

Phidippus

Post by Phidippus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 am

Just to reiterate - this has nothing to do with any custom html. It has to do with WB's choice of using the css property visibility instead of display.*
Be nice to have the option to use
"display: none"
instead of "visibility: hidden"
because using "display: none" will keep elements from taking up space on breakpoints where they are desired to be "hidden."
An additional "display" column in object manager in between "visible" and "locked" that can be selected per breakpoint just like "visible" ? :P

By globally replacing (on the linked css page) all iterations of "visibility: hidden" with "display: none", my problem is fixed as well as
other cases where text or any other standard WB objects are positioned lower in hidden breakpoints.
(and works as well on my dynamic content that expands a div that is hidden)

*unless I'm missing something... which has happened before but... I really don't think so this time. :P

crispy68

Post by crispy68 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 am

You can set it to 'display:none'.

Go to Tools --> Options --> HTML --> under CSS in the CSS visibility property set it to 'display'

This will encode it as 'display:none' versus 'visibility:hidden'.

Phidippus

Post by Phidippus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 am

Crispy - that's it ! I really have to make note of that in case this custom setting changes with any updates...

I'm really surprised I couldn't find the answer in a search - I would have thought it would have been an issue for someone else,
but I'm just very thankful for your help. Cheers !

I don't know if Pablo has a tutorial on optimizing settings and why... but... would be nice if someone volunteered... :P

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 am

Note that this is documented in the FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=63817

Phidippus

Post by Phidippus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 am

Pablo wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 am
Note that this is documented in the FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=63817
Why... I can't believe I missed that....! (sarcasm)
You do a great job Pablo... there's just a lot there to read and to recall when it becomes relevant... :P
This forum has saved my sanity many times.... Cheers !

(I still think the addition of Display as a selection column in the Object Manager would be a nice addition - but I'll shut up now...)