How did I create this website? Totally confused

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
fulbourn

How did I create this website? Totally confused

Post by fulbourn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am

www.terrybraverman.co.uk
I created this family website a number of years ago and thought I would update it.
I cannot remember the program I used or where I would find the files after all these years (and several computers ago).
Am I seeking the impossible? Is there an answer that a totally confused old man might understand?

WWBman

Re: How did I create this website? Totally confused

Post by WWBman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 am

The website looks like it was created using www.free-online.co.uk.
The base address is www.terrybraverman.free-online.co.uk

andyp

Post by andyp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 am

This would be quite easy to recreate even if you dont have the WB file because you have all the info still there on the site.

Just copy the text and download the photos from it.
Making mistakes....and still learning as I go along.. and very grateful to those who know far more than me... :)
http://www.apgraphx.co.uk

fulbourn

Post by fulbourn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am

Andy P - how would I do it his, please? It sounds promising but I’m slow to understand how I ever managed to do this in the first place.

andyp

Post by andyp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 pm

When I stated easy this would of course depend on capability

I was presuming that you did not have all the relevant files but at the moment all the information you wish to use is still there on line so it would be a process of downloading that information to reproduce on a newly built site in WB.

So to start with highlight all the text on a page and copy it and paste this into something like Notepad... and then name save this to a folder.

The index page contains this text so you would call that Notepad file as something like index-text

Terry, Diana and Emily live in the picturesque village of Fulbourn with a view of the windmill at the top of the hill and close to the historic University of Cambridge.

THE FULBOURN CHRONICLE
(1750-1850)

There was a settlement here in the Dark Ages after the Romans left. The Saxons called it Fugelburn - a stream with birds

CAMBRIDGE - ENGLAND

About 200 - 300 years ago their existed Fulbourn Magna and Fulbourn Parva. There were also
two churches. One fell down in 1776. I wasn't to blame.

Fulbourn - close to The Windmill, the Roman Road, Wandlebury, The Devil's Dyke, Gog Magog Hills, Fleam's Dyke, Anglesey Abbey (National Trust) and Cambridge Airport

Right click on the map and "Save image" and save to a folder

Do the same on the page on the Diana page

Cornish Coastal Footpath Challenge

I undertook a long-held ambition to celebrate a 'milestone' birthday by completing as many of the 260 miles of the Cornish Coastal Footpath as I could over a period of 13 days during mid-August. I eventually covered about 220 miles losing a stage to sickness and other miles through dense sea-fog and heavy rain that made climbing conditions far too hazordous.

I was raising money to support the Royal National Lifeboat Institute and, in particular, the Penlee lifeboat station that houses the Mabel Alice - a boat that has saved the lives of many who have found themselves in trouble at sea - and which is close to the hearts of my family.

The Mabel Alice (and the RNLI) rely entirely on voluntary contributions
Cornish Coastal Footpath Challenge - ReportTHE CCC lived up to all my expectations and I had a wonderful fortnight running and scrambling through spectacular countryside. Although the weather was mixed, the views were stunning. As predicted, I was not able to complete the distance in the time we had. Most of the path was rated as 'strenuous' in the guide book I was using and a Cornish mile is at least half as long again as a 'traditional' mile. However, I was pleased to complete well over 200 miles averaging not less than 15 miles a day and felt I had done as much as I could each day without over-doing it. I was on the path for at least five hours each day.

I think I met every kind of hazard; adders in the bracken, lost shoes in bogs, landslides and dense fog and boulders on the moors; vast sand dunes and military training zones! Some days the wind blew me backwards and on one day I had to abandon my run because driving rain made conditions treacherous. I 'lost' one stage through sickness. Many days, the weather was beautiful, however, and the colours of the sea and landscape were awe-inspiring.

The route was one of constantly changing scenery and close contact with birds, butterflies and fauna. I clambered over every design of stile imaginable and climbed countless steps carved into the hillside only to descend again into a beautiful secluded cove. I passed through fishing villages and seaside resorts.

The support group was excellent, navigating narrow, winding roads to meet me in isolated spots and in position before my ETA. We were able to enjoy toasted teacakes and surfing beaches at our rendezvous. A treat for all three of us was a three-hour trip aboard Penlee lifeboat Mabel Alice when she 'stood-by' at Newlyn Raft Race and where we witnessed a 'real' rescue at sea!

Once you have saved all the text and photos then use these to rebuild the site.

The main point is to ensure that you have all the files saved and then re-build it in WB.

To simplify your site dont worry about making it responsive at this point.. just get the site up and running and then tinker with it later

Hope this helps
Making mistakes....and still learning as I go along.. and very grateful to those who know far more than me... :)

fulbourn

Post by fulbourn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Thank you very much indeed.
I shall follow your instructions and set it as a challenge for myself. I will put a post on the forum in a week or two as an update.

andyp

Post by andyp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

I will shortly post something on here to help you a little bit more... in about 30 mins

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Note to save time later, when adding the text to the page it is best to break it up into smaller sections rather than one 'Big" section so to be browser compatible wit the likes ofor 'Firefox'.
How to optimize text for different browsers?

andyp

Post by andyp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Go to www.apgraphx.co.uk/braveman/

What I have quickly done here is build a draft site with all the pages

Please note this is not built as a Responsive site (other than the menu which is explained below) which means it will not adapt to different size browsers as this would take me too long

I have set the default size to 1360

I have used a 'clean' basic design (Your theme is a little bit decorative)

The index page contains text and an image

The Dianna page contains text and Photo Gallery with pop up Lightbox

Baconfries is correct when stating that text should be broken up into smaller section and you will see that I have done this.

(Note that I have set the text to be Responsive in Properties.... which is what is needed should you decide to go down the Responsive route)

All the other pages are blank

I have used a Master page for the Menu

The Menu itself which is responsive (I used this because it is nice and easy this will actually break at 768 pixels which shows you what can be done. You can test this by opening the site and slide the browser from right to left to decrease the size and you will see the menu break)

You can download the the .wbs file but this will only work with the latest version so you need to have this installed.

This can be found at www.apgraphx.co.uk/braveman/braveman.zip

Unpack the zip file where you will find an image folder containing the images I used.

When you open the wbs file you will need to set the image path to wherever you have put the image folder

Do this by going to Tools>Asset Manager to set the path

If you want to look at doing this as Responsive at some point then download my Responsive Template.

This is simply a blank template with several pages with each page containing a range of Break Points that I like using.

I use this when I start any new site.. then rename it to save the original template.

Please note that I am not using 'Layout Grids'. This is a different way of building sites

Download this from www.apgraphx.co.uk/braveman/Responsive-Template.wbs

At some point I will remove all these links

Due to time restraints this is all I can do for you... hope this helps

fulbourn

Post by fulbourn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Thank you for so much help. I'm gradually putting a website together again. www.terrybraverman.co.uk
I have a problem on the PHOTOS page. I was somehow able previously to click on one photo thumbnail and then click backward/forward arrows to other photos in the album.
I've spent several hours trying to recreate this but have failed. I've tried Insert Gallery/Lightshow but what happens is that ALL the photos appear as thumbnails. I want to use the arrows to move back and forth as before.
What might I be doing wrong, plese?

andyp

Post by andyp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:44 am

After clicking on the thumbnail if you hover over Pop Up image the arrows appear http://apgraphx.co.uk/braveman/Diana.html

Or change in Photo Gallery change Type to Pretty Photo where the arrows show all the time