Email Marketing Campaign Software?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
ColinM

Email Marketing Campaign Software?

Post by ColinM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 am

Hi All,

Not a WB question but there are a lot of brains in here and a good chance that one or more of you have used software to create an Email Marketing Campaign.

My client cannot send multiple emails out through is ISP (his ISP mail send limit is 1) and he doesn't want to change his ISP, so he has asked me to look into services like Mail Chimp. I've started creating a a template but find that the email created only had the content at 600 pixels wide which looks ridiculous on a large screen.

I've tried creating a HTML file in WB to upload without much success.

Any suggestions please?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

adrian5750

Re: Email Marketing Campaign Software?

Post by adrian5750 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:04 am

Hi Colin
Mailchimp's pretty capable, and they have very good support people.

I've always used variations of their own templates, but in the 'create a campaign' section there's the option to 'Paste own html into editor'.
There's also a help section
http://templates.mailchimp.com/getting- ... il-basics/
where it says
"Emails should be 600-800 pixels maximum width. This will make them behave better within the preview-pane size provided by many clients."

I think this may be one of those cases where 'less is more' <g> - and, rather than do the all-singing, all-dancing webpage design thing, it's best to compromise on something simpler...? Even people who have signed up to a mailing list are sometimes resistant to opening the emails, and you want to make it as 'easy' as possible for them to accept the email, open it and see your client's message...

As a service, I find Mailchimp to be very effective. I've used it for probably ten clients in the past, some of who have now gone on to run their own mailings with the program.

Hope this helps
Adrian

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 am

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply :D . A couple of questions if I may:

1) Did you stick with the 600 pixel width ? I did find a way of increasing the size and selected 970, but that did horrible things in the mobile view.
2) As far as I can tell and from what I have found info wise - you can't attach anything to emails - you have to link to them?
3) Have you tried using WB to create a custom HTML template or do you just use the template builder?
4) Have you found any way to make the template responsive?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:56 pm

HI Colin

1) Yes - I stuck with the default 600 pixel width
2) Not sure what you'd want to attach? - never tried it myself.. - can't imagine most subscribers being overjoyed at large attachments...
3) I just used their template builder
4) Responsive template - no - never bothered to look.

I think you may be over-complicating things.....

Looking at the 'big names' - people like Groupon, for instance - they use a 600pix width, plain vanilla, not responsive.
I think of email 'newsletters' as a way of communicating with past customers, saying 'we are still here', and inviting them to follow a link to see a new product, or a newsy update, or somesuch.
In other words, getting the message across, with an appropriate call-to-action, is more important that the 'arty-bit' (responsive websites etc).

Save the fancy stuff for the website itself, all you're trying to do with the email is to present something that doesn't look too shabby, doesn't trigger a bunch of spam-detector-filters in the recipient's email program, doesn't take forever to download, and (most important) generates the required response (be it a click-through, signing up to an offer, delivering a voucher code etc). Mailchimp is very good at providing stats on opens / click-throughs etc, so you can see how effective a particular email has been

I'd be guided in your website design by Mailchimp themselves - they've been around a while, and seem to know what they're talking about.

A word of caution with 'new' email lists. Mailchimp are quite particular about mailing lists, and will tell you off if your list contains lots of bounces, or (worse still) lots of unsubscribes. In the long run, this is a Good Thing (as it maintains their reputation, and those of your client, as non-spammers) but it can be a shock when you let loose your first Mailchimp bulk email, using a list of addresses supplied by your client - and you get a rap across the knuckles! Been there - done that!

Adrian

Patr100

Post by Patr100 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Colin, yes as stated, MailChimp does not attach files to emails it adds a link to where they are uploaded/stored on MailChimp.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi Adrian,

Once again, thank you for a great response and some very insightful info and tips.

All your points are completely valid and well considered. In this Client's case we are not starting a new marketing campaign but replicating the Client's existing marketing but through an ISP independent and spam/RBL compliant email marketing third party.

This replication ties my hands as the Client has a set "look and feel" of what they send out, so they want that (as close as possible) to have the same look and content extent as the PDF they used to send out before they found out that their ISP only allows single emails to be sent - not sure how that worked for the Client in the past - something I need to check.

Yes, Mail Chimp is popular, but I would not at all be surprised that the Client, given the quarterly campaign Newsletter is quite extensive, that they would find a 600 pixel width limitation undesirable for both visual width and the resultant length of the Newsletter.

I also looked at Active Campaign - that product allows for a 900 pixel width which displays fine on mobiles so I'm considering using that instead.

As for the attachment, the Client normally sends a Newsletter and a Wine Order Form (one of many large local vineyard clients I have) - it is the Wine Order Form that would have been the attachment. As far as a I can see, neither Mail Chimp or Active Campaign allow attachments, but both provide for embedded HTML links - so the solution there is to host the order form for the Client and link to it. :D
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Patr100 wrote:Colin, yes as stated, MailChimp does not attach files to emails it adds a link to where they are uploaded/stored on MailChimp.
Thanks Patrick 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:26 am

Hi Colin. I'm quite satisfied with "SendBlaster" http://www.sendblaster.com
Can be a good alternative :)

Saludos
"Make My Day"

See my Website

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:46 am

Bluesman wrote:Hi Colin. I'm quite satisfied with "SendBlaster" http://www.sendblaster.com
Can be a good alternative :)

Saludos
Hi Bluesman,

Ah choices, not always helpful LOL - but thank you, another product to look at.

One question - what is the pixel width of the embedded content please?

EDIT - Another question - which of the products did you buy - it's a bit confusing?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:35 am

Hi Colin, most of the provided templates are 600 pxl. Seams to be a standard, but you can modify and create your own. Also there are some "responsive" templates. I have not the newest version, so I think there are a lot more responsive and other sizes...

So far I have done my own layouts and sizes... so I don't dependent of the templates :) Just as WWB :)

Saludos

Ps. I have the "Pro" edition...
"Make My Day"

See my Website

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:06 am

Hi Bluesman,

Ok - thanks for that - will have a look at it :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

lummis

Post by lummis » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Colin

I use Sendblaster to send out newsletters to a small golfing society group so use the free version that allows for up to 100 mailings. The recently issued version 4 does have a liquid layout which I have not used as yet and there are a number of templates that you can play around with although it looks as though the responsive ones are only available in the Pro Version. It might be worth your while experimenting with the free version to see if it meets your need.

Brian

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:31 pm

lummis wrote:Colin

I use Sendblaster to send out newsletters to a small golfing society group so use the free version that allows for up to 100 mailings. The recently issued version 4 does have a liquid layout which I have not used as yet and there are a number of templates that you can play around with although it looks as though the responsive ones are only available in the Pro Version. It might be worth your while experimenting with the free version to see if it meets your need.

Brian
Hi Brian,
My Client has probably about 2,500 subscribers, so the free one would not be an option, but thanks heaps for the input :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

lummis

Post by lummis » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi Colin

Sorry if I gave the impression that the free version would suit your client - I guessed that they would have more than 100 subscribers as otherwise it would be a poor marketing campaign :)

What I was trying to indicate is that you could have a look at the free version which does have nearly all the bells and whistles - e.g. it has 150 templates but not the new responsive ones - and you could explore the mechanics of how it would work for you. For test purposes you only need a few throwaway email addresses so the limitation won't affect your analysis of the software. One advantage of Sendblaster is that it can be held on your clients own computer thus keeping all of the client details in house.

I just think it is worth a look as the Pro version may be a possible option.

Brian

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Brian,

No apology needed :D . What you say is true and that email addresses aren't stored in a cloud is a big plus. Always the risk of a hack otherwise. One hurdle and one concern I guess Brian. The hurdle is getting the Client to pay all of the money up front rather than a monthly fee, cheaper in the long run I admit, but knowing my Client he might not be attracted to that. The concern is that I'm always wary of someone that offers a product with a one time payment, there's a risk they could go belly up.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website