Mobile events pages - shortcut?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
adrian5750

Mobile events pages - shortcut?

Post by adrian5750 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:48 am

HI Folks
A client of mine now looks after day-to-day updates on their own wysiwyg website (www.mast.ie)
Rather than go down the whole 'responsive' route, I made them a separate 'mini-mobile' website - which is a cut-down version of the 'desktop' website.

They now need to expand the mini-mobile site to include the 'what's on' listings - they update frequently
http://www.mast.ie/what_s_on.html

Any suggestions as to how to make it easy for them - ideally _without_ having a separate 'desktop' what's-on page and a 'mobile' what's-on page
(as that would mean typing the same info in twice).

They like their 'eye candy' on the right-hand-side of their desktop page, which I think will be too much bandwidth and clutter for the mobile page -
but is there a way to have a single file with the textual info, and "include" that into the mobile and desktop pages?

I haven't learned about breakpoints etc myself - but I'm guessing that'll be fairly complicated for them to update?

Any bright ideas?
I guess databases are the obvious answer, but that's yet another layer of potential complexity!

Thanks
Adrian

Pablo

Re: Mobile events pages - shortcut?

Post by Pablo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:01 am

Maybe you can use an inline frame and share the content between the two pages?

adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for the fast reponse, Pablo! (as always)

I did think about an inline frame approach - how do mobile browsers handle inline frames? (big question, I know!)

As the 'length' of the event infomation varies, I guess we'd be stuck with vertical scroll-bars on the inline frame(s) - (unless we made it 'bigger than expected')

They like to include text styles, weblinks etc in the 'pure text' information, so I guess that rules out a straight 'text' file..

Thanks
Adrian

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 am

Mobile devices do support inline frames. However the frame cannot have scrollbar, so the content must be smaller or equal to the size of the frame.

adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks Pablo.
I guess one way would be to have the 'text' in a page that's included via a inline frame in both mobile and desktop pages.
For the mobile page it 'just' needs to have a header and a footer added, and then it sort-of works - but the inline frame would need to be enormous...

For the desktop (pretty - with images) page, the same inline frame could be included - but with the eye-candy added to the desktop page.
It's kind of clumsy - as the text will be either longer or shorter than the images...

... unless somebody else has a clever plan to do this...

Thanks
Adrian

adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Still gnawing at this particular bone <g> - an noticed an odd effect.

If you visit the standard 'desktop' page
http://www.mast.ie

and click on the 'find a market' button, it takes you to this page

http://www.mast.ie/find_a_market.html

which is all fine.

If I visit this URL directly from my mobile, then it 'sort of' displays OK - tiny, but usable

The 'mobile friendly' index page is here

http://www.mast.ie/mindex.html

and I added a link to the desktop index page - at the bottom of the page.

Clicking this link takes you to the same 'find_a_market.html' page, but it then displays in a very strange way, the buttons are stacked on top of each other and the page layout is very odd.

Does visiting the 'desktop' page in a site from a link on a jquery mobile page cause this? - or have I done something daft? <g>

Thanks
Adrian

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:46 pm

This is most like because AJAX is enabled in page properties. This only works if all pages are created with jQuery Mobile, so in this case it should be off.

adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:09 pm

HI Pablo
Perfect - that fixed it.
Many thanks
Adrian