User Name and Password questions

Issues related to the Login tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/login_basics.html
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/login_tools.html

TIP:
A lot of information about the login tools can be found in the help/manual.
Also checkout the demo template that is include with the software.
jeff11214

User Name and Password questions

Post by jeff11214 »

I didn't see any info regarding this so here goes:

I plan to use email addresses for User Names in flat-file database - Are there any character restrictions to user name or passwords?

I'm using "User Redirect" and "Protect Page" where I input user name - Is there a total character length limit?
For example, if I have 500 user names (which are email addresses) will this be an issue storing all this in "User Redirect" and "Protect Page" since each user name will be lengthy?

"Change Password" tool - how to set minumum password? Is their PHP code snippet I can use? Is there already a minimum set?

I can easily create user name on the internet by logging into the admin URL. Is there a way to update user names on my webpage that has "User Redirect" or "Protect Page" without doing this from WWB application?

Thank you
Jeff
Pablo

Re: User Name and Password questions

Post by Pablo »

The signup tool accepts the following character for username:
A-Z
a-z
0-9_!@$

If you want to change this behavior then you can edit the code by converting the sign form to a standard form (for advanced users).

As far as I know, there is no theoretical limit. But using a flat database for 500 users may be slow. In that case it's better to use mysql.
Is there a way to update user names on my webpage that has "User Redirect" or "Protect Page" without doing this from WWB application?
There is no standard solution for this. This requires custom code/programming
Navaldesign

Post by Navaldesign »

In the past I have used a 5000 users flat file database without any significant delay.
However, in that case, my flat file was saving the entire archive as a PHP array (rather than a coma or other symbol separated file), as this was allowing me to have also fast search. Once the username was found in the array, the array index also allowed to read the array column with the redirect URL.

The server only takes some tenths of a second to read a 5000 users file of that type, so you almost don't notice the difference compared to a MySQL database..
www.dbtechnosystems.com
jeff11214

Post by jeff11214 »

That is great to know... thank you for the info!

What about "Change Password" tool - how to set minimum password? Is their PHP code snippet I can use? Is there already a minimum password set?

Thanks
-Jeff
Navaldesign

Post by Navaldesign »

I suggest that you use the built in scripts as they are.
As soon as you start modifying / adding code etc you must be prepared to face issues which you can only solve if you have some scripting knowledge.
Just to answer your question, yes, there are lots of snippets that allow you to check a password for strength according to predefined criteria (length, existence of lower / uppercase characters, inclusion of symbols). You will need to transform the signup tool in form and insert the snippet in the original WWB code, adapting it to the rest of the code.
www.dbtechnosystems.com
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

@jeff11214, just in case you missed it - I don't think an email address will be accepted as a username because it will reject the full-stops (periods).
Unless of course you edit the code.
jeff11214

Post by jeff11214 »

Convert to Form enables me to set minimum character length, so this will suffice... thanks!

I've been testing using email addresses as User Name and it's working perfectly.

All set for now.
Thanks!