Countdown (FREE)

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
Adendum

Countdown (FREE)

Post by Adendum »

Countdown is based on a re-worked version of Martin Angelov's jQuery and CSS3 tutorial at Tutorialzine.

This extension uses jQuery 1.7.2 or higher and should work perfectly in WWB8 or higher. CSS3 coding is used so not all browsers will play nicely but any modern browser should be fine.
CountdownPost.jpg
I have not produced a HELP file as the extension should be simple enough to use without instructions...simply read the notes for each property.
Countdown-Properties.jpg
Demo.

Have fun!
Aditerum - No longer supporting WWB extensions - refer to CJS.
Aditerum - No longer supporting WWB templates - refer to CJS.

WWB 9.4; Ext Builder 4.2; Windows 10 64bit; Intel Core i7-3770 Processor 3.40Ghz; 16.0Gb RAM
Death to Internet Explorer!
zinc

Re: Countdown (FREE)

Post by zinc »

Paul;
It would great if there was no dependency on

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family= ... densed:300" />

Otherwise a great job as always.
B
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

Yup...I did try using standard fonts but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work...in as much as every font looked the same. I'll keep trying anyway.

WWB 9.4; Ext Builder 4.2; Windows 10 64bit; Intel Core i7-3770 Processor 3.40Ghz; 16.0Gb RAM
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

The script adds a message under the countdown section that can be hidden or customised however there are some words (Day/s, Hour/s, Minute/s and Second/s) that are currently hard coded in the script:-

Code: Select all

message += days + " day" + ( days==1 ? '':'s' ) + ", ";
			message += hours + " hour" + ( hours==1 ? '':'s' ) + ", ";
			message += minutes + " minute" + ( minutes==1 ? '':'s' ) + " and ";
			message += seconds + " second" + ( seconds==1 ? '':'s' ) + " ";
I can provide an update that allows users to edit these to their own language however I need some feedback as to how any other languages handle the plurals. For example a Spanish user will enter Dia, Hora, Minuto and Secondo and as far as I remember the plural remains Dias, Horas, Minutos and Secondos.

But how will other users (France, Germany, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Russia, Greece and so on) require plurals to be handled? I guess we all don't just add an "S" to the end of the words???????????????????

Adendum

Post by Adendum »

I just ran through Google Translate using DAY and DAYS in all the European languages and I can see that MOST of them do simply add a letter or letters to pluralise the word e.g. dag, dagar. However some languages such as Polish have totally different words e,g, dzien and dni.

So how do you guys want it? Hard coded in English or an option to regionalise although it will be limited for some languages (those that use different words for plural forms).

jordan

Post by jordan »

hehe faster then your shadow I see, must be the fastest build and release ever, took the countdown literal . :mrgreen: .
nice nice Paul – +TNX for your update mail:)

ps:
I think you can change the font of the digits by adding it to the css - .digit – class
.digit{
font-family:Arial; <––
position:absolute;
display:block;
etc
}

language quest?
why not create variables for each, there are only 8 options if you change the script a bit?
Adendum

Re: Countdown (FREE) ** Updated **

Post by Adendum »

v1.0.0.1 released 18/09/13 (17:22)

Added properties to change the words in the message that handle Day/s, Hour/s, Minute/s and Second/s - works for MOST other languages!
Countdown-German.jpg

Hrankov

Post by Hrankov »

Some languages (like Bulgarian) have different words for singular and plural.
Is it not logical solution to use two different words for it?
Singular: DAY
Plural: DAYS (and not just add a simple "S")

So we can use it in every language.

Thanks
presto

Post by presto »

I did not try your extension yet, but is there a possibility to count down to a specific hour and/or minute? E. g. at tomorrows election in Germany the polling stations will be closed at 6:00 pm (18:00) and the first prognoses of the result will only be allowed to be announced at this specific moment everybody is waiting for.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Very nice Paul - can't think of use for it yet, but will add it to my Website Master Document TOC.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

Hrankov wrote:Some languages (like Bulgarian) have different words for singular and plural.
Is it not logical solution to use two different words for it?
Singular: DAY
Plural: DAYS (and not just add a simple "S")

So we can use it in every language.

Thanks
If some wants to write the jQuery code to do that I'll modify the extension.

Adendum

Post by Adendum »

presto wrote:I did not try your extension yet, but is there a possibility to count down to a specific hour and/or minute? E. g. at tomorrows election in Germany the polling stations will be closed at 6:00 pm (18:00) and the first prognoses of the result will only be allowed to be announced at this specific moment everybody is waiting for.
Not in it's current form. You'd just have to set the days to 0 and then set the hours.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@Redneckheaven... Adendum (Paul) I know is now Holiday (Vacation) so he may not read this. What I would ask you is this what version of WB are you using?. If you are using WB 8 then this will explain why you cannot use it, this is because the extension may have been made/rebuilt using the very latest version of the Ext Builder 4.2 which means it will only work with WB9 and higher.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

It would be best to open a new thread regarding this so not to "Hijack" the existing one.
FPA

Post by FPA »

Can someone point the download link of this countdown extension please? Can't find it :/
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

FPA wrote:Can someone point the download link of this countdown extension please? Can't find it :/
Run WWB and go to Tools>Extension Manager - you install while in the program.

FPA

Post by FPA »

Good to know, that's why I couldn't find any download link.

But the problem is that my WB PC doesn't have internet access. Can't we just download it?
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

Nope - you need to be running WWB and have internet access.

FPA

Post by FPA »

Argh!
maxime

Post by maxime »

yes you can go here: http://extensions.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/ and on the menu misceleannous you will find the countdown extension. note you be ask to give your serialnumber to be able to download the extension.
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

Kevin,

[a] I just ran a test using a basic countdown using tomorrows date and it appears accurate for me. See image below:-
countdown.jpg
'The Message' hasn't been implemented in this version of Countdown, so you get what you see.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Paul - silly question: is this extension suppose to render in IE8? Just curious.
The Website Guy - MN
Small Business Web Design
Adendum

Post by Adendum »

Nope... much of the extension relies on CSS3 and IE in almost any state typically doesn't play properly.

Use this site in a variety of browsers to get an idea:-

http://css3test.com/

Firefox v30 scores 55%
Chrome v 35.0.1916.153 scores 58%
IE10 scores 46%
IE 9 scores 28%
IE8 scores 0%

Bill Gates and Team fall way behind as usual....

Rob

Post by Rob »

Bummer. Thanks for the reply. Would be nice if it didn't rely so much on CSS3 (so IE8 could support) but I understand. Thank you again.
The Website Guy - MN
Small Business Web Design
h3rnan

Post by h3rnan »

I have this extension..few years ago. It works without problems even now with version WB 11.6
I am going to sell many own templates and... in some of them I want to include the extension or enter a link so that it can be downloaded by the buyer.
I went to the website (aditerum) and they refer here because they no longer operate with extensions etc...
What do I do? could I sell the templates and include the extension? Making reference to the creator (obvious) it was a free extension.
I do not want to violate any right.
Is no longer available in Extension Manager (Miscellaneous).

I was thinking that ... as It can not be download from anywhere, not even from Extension Manager .. include it with the template referring to the creator.
How do you see?
Hernán Pena
Web Developer / IT Administrator
https://webbuilderfx.com
support@montevideocapital.com
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@h3rnan the Builder of this extension Addendum is no longer active in the forum. With this he does not support or offer any extension(s) anymore as he has passed all his them and support onto forum member CJS. To date CJS has not said when he will be offering them again with any support or not. I can't say if he would object to offering the extension with your template or not but would say may hold of on providing it till such times.
h3rnan

Post by h3rnan »

BaconFries wrote:@h3rnan the Builder of this extension Addendum is no longer active in the forum. With this he does not support or offer any extension(s) anymore as he has passed all his them and support onto forum member CJS. To date CJS has not said when he will be offering them again with any support or not. I can't say if he would object to offering the extension with your template or not but would say may hold of on providing it till such times.

A few hours ago I was in contact with Pablo by email, I explained the subject and we agreed that as long as the author's name and the author's website were clearly stated, there would be no problem, the extension at that time (september 16th, 2013) it was displayed as FREE.
I would have preferred it to be downloaded, like others, directly from Extension Manager, but this is no longer possible.
I will clearly state the name and website of the author. I do not really sell the extension ... but the website.
Thank you BaconFries for taking the time to respond and Pablo for writing directly to him.

Kind regards.
Hernán
Hernán Pena
Web Developer / IT Administrator
https://webbuilderfx.com
support@montevideocapital.com