IntraSite Search Extension - BETA version for testing

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
supersonictt

IntraSite Search Extension - BETA version for testing

Post by supersonictt »

Hello guys,

I am going to build the IntraSite Search extension from the original script. You can try it here: http://www.waldendesign.com/index.html. You can type "services" in the search box to see how the script works.

Before building it, I tried it but it is not working properly for me, I still cannot figure out the problem although I tried every possible solution, so I just would like to know if some testers are willing to try it out so I can build it as an initial release for them to try.

Please reply here in this thread and I will build it immediately.

*****THE BETA VERSION (FOR TESTING) IS OUT*****

Ok guys, here is a very simple initial release for testing, I didn't include any customizations for the css file. I will do this later after I make sure it works %100.
As BaconFries mentioned in the next post, we both have issues making it work properly, so as I said, I made it very simple for now for testing purposes.
I contacted waldendesign.com for some support, they replied back telling me that the developer is no longer working with them, so there will be no support by them!
Anyways, I hope testers can give feedback to track the issue, and I will try my best to figure it out :)

HOW TO USE THE EXTENTION
NOTE: Again, for test purposes, it is better to use the script in your main root directory on the server. You can read in the original "Readme" file how to customize the options IF you want to test in in a subfolder or so.
1. Install the extension.
2. Add an Editbox (make sure it is not within a form) and note its ID.
3. Add a Push button (to work as a submit button, and again, make sure it is not within a form) and note its ID. By the way it is optional to add it, if you want the search to be excuted by hitting "Enter" then you do not need to add the push button.
4. Add the extension, open it and specify the four properties which are:
a) Domain name: The domain name you want to add IntraSite Search to. Example: yourdomain.com
b) Start search: the search root which is the main index file of your site.
c) Search box ID: which is the Editbox ID you added previously, something like: Editbox1
d) Submit button ID: which is the Push button ID you added previously, something like: Button1

Now publish the files to your site, of course, you should have some text content so the script can find words ;)
I included the original help file in the zip file, some testers may want to need it to figure out the issue. So please if anyone can find what the issue is, please report back so I can release the full version.

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://www.mediafire.com/?n5znm644yu9kx0g

NOTE
If you have included the extension in your site to test it, PLEASE provide a link, so I can have a look at how it works. Thanks :)
Last edited by supersonictt on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
BaconFries

Re: IntraSite Search Extension

Post by BaconFries »

Hi supersonictt I too considerrd this as an extension to, like yourself I had issues so decided to just not release. I would offer to send my version to you but at the moment I am without a PC or Laptop due to it in storage while renovations take place around the house. But I hope you get it up and running.
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

Hello BaconFries,

Thanks a lot for your contribution. If you remember, you sent me the version you made by email about a year ago, the older version made by another member didn't include the php file, and when you sent me your version it returned with non-consistent results. Surprisingly, the same script now doesn't return any result at all! And as I mentioned in my first post, I tried every possible solution with no luck, so I started to suspect it would be the server (host), but I tried some different free hosts AND my own page host (from mddhosting.com) but again, no results!

I started a new post in "General questions" which immediately moved by Pablo to the "Suggestions" section about any upcoming improvements to the Site Search object. Pablo responded immediately and finally I provided him with more decent search script made generated by another program I used to use before WWB, here is the link if you would like to have a look at the post and the sample project I included: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53513

Back to IntraSite Search, am ready to make the extension so users can test it on different server to figure out where the problem is. The strange thing is that in the Read Me file provided with the original script contains 3 sites using the script and it is working perfectly, so I decided to make a full demo site with content and images, and include the search script, and then delete all the files on my server (host) and publish this new demo site to give it one last test.

And finally, thanks so much for you being around, I will build the extension and see how things will go :)
maxime

Post by maxime »

waiting for this, i am willing to test it with other language , french language.
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

maxime wrote:waiting for this, i am willing to test it with other language , french language.
maxime,
Thanks a lot for your contribution, I will build the extension and it will be ready by tomorrow.
I will make the customizations extremely simple, as we need to test its functionality first then if everything is working as it should be, I will release a full version with all the customizations everybody would want.
Stay tuned :)
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

BaconFries wrote:Hi supersonictt I too considerrd this as an extension to, like yourself I had issues so decided to just not release. I would offer to send my version to you but at the moment I am without a PC or Laptop due to it in storage while renovations take place around the house. But I hope you get it up and running.
@BaconFries
Hello again :) hope you are feeling better now :)
Regarding the script, if you have the original files of the script, please open the "intrasite_search.php" and have a look at the following lines:
Line 62: which is talking about the css, do we have to include "intrasite_search.css" in this property?
Lines 84-92: which are talking about the character set, it is set to ""ISO-8859-1". In our WWB, the default character set is set to "Unicode (UTF-8)", so does this matter?

Just wanted to mention these things before trying any fixes :)

Thanks a lot :)
BaconFries

Re: IntraSite Search Extension - BETA version for testing

Post by BaconFries »

@supersonictt line 62 is just the path to were you would place the css file if you wished it in a folder. You could add this is the extension builder in files by just making a new folder naming it css and add the file to it then make the path to this in the php file.
Regarding lines 82-84 this is the character set for western/european you could either make a variable to include all charater sets as in WB or just set to "Unicode (UTF-8)" as this is now just standard for all, I still use western/european as this is my set preference to my location but it up to you, but you may get some users who like myself who wish to add there own so it may be best to include all.
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

@BaconFries
Thanks a lot for making things clear. I will add all the missing things once the script works %100.
So, in other words, these things are not the cause of the issues we are facing, right?
By the way, what issues did you face before when you were building the extension?
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

Any testers?
maxime

Post by maxime »

where is the extension ?
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

maxime wrote:where is the extension ?
In the first post, under "DOWNLOAD LINK".
adex1

Post by adex1 »

supersonictt wrote:Any testers?
Yes, I will give my feedback next week and as I am on holiday trip.
Buy Automation Shopping Cart for CMS WEBSHOP + 2.2 Using WB10!
- Use secure gateway to buy using PAYPAL website.
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

Thanks alot adex :) enjoy your trip ;)
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

@BaconFries
How are you mate? Hope everything is going well, especially your health :)
I uploaded the extension with minimal settings just for users to test it.
I just want to know if you have some extra time so we can both find the solution for the issues.
As I was testing it, the result box is not showing though the rotating "busy" icon is working, which means the script is initially working, but still cannot figure out the issue.
I guess you have my email, so if you are free we can discuss it there :)

supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

@Everyone

I finally got to the person who created this script, a really nice guy, he offered help, so I am creating a demo site with the script so he can figure out what the issue is.
Once done I will upload a new version of the extension.
One more thing, he advised me to use Google Site Search script, and just before that I landed on a very nice script that uses Google site search with ajax and jquery, here is the link:
http://tutorialzine.com/2010/09/google- ... ax-jquery/
What I found interesting is that someone asked if it is possible to open the search results in another page, and another person mentioned the script. I made it work with WWB, so am thinking of making it as an extension, I just need to investigate more through the scripts to make it as easy as possible to integrate with WWB :)
adex1

Post by adex1 »

Any continuation on this extension?
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

adex1 wrote:Any continuation on this extension?
Unfortunately no. The reason for that is version 9 of WWB includes a good search tool, which -in my opinion- is almost equal to the extension.
I contacted the developer of the script when I created the extension and he was ready to help me with the issue am facing provided that I build a small site which includes some text here and there so he can test the script, but when version 9 was out, I had to stop developing this extension.
adex1

Post by adex1 »

Alright thanks. But for your portfolios if you have time I will encourage you to do it.
supersonictt

Post by supersonictt »

adex1 wrote:Alright thanks. But for your portfolios if you have time I will encourage you to do it.
I will try my best to do so, but I cannot promise when I can do it as am busy with travelling to another country, so it is taking a lot of my time :)
adex1

Post by adex1 »

supersonictt wrote:
adex1 wrote:Alright thanks. But for your portfolios if you have time I will encourage you to do it.
I will try my best to do so, but I cannot promise when I can do it as am busy with travelling to another country, so it is taking a lot of my time :)
Alright I wish you best of luck.