Animated JavaScript Slideshow ***11/09/13***

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
amrajadhyaksha

Re: Animated JavaScript Slideshow ***19/12/12***

Post by amrajadhyaksha »

Thanks, BF, for acting on this issue.
This happens with some other extensions too in updates, but perhaps users are not too bothered about it, as when an update actually happens, it is announced in the forum.
developer

Post by developer »

This seems to work very well for my application except for a couple of seemingly simple issues. The images can't all be the same size in my application, so if it is set for the largest one, everything works as expected but I get overlays when a smaller image is placed after a larger one.

The black background for the main images is something that I would like to be able to change as well.

I don't know if you (BF) are actively working on this now or not. I think if the background is overwritten with the user specified color before the next image is presented, then it might solve both problems.

If you are not actively developing, is the source available? I could fiddle with it and the extension builder to try and get it to work.

Thanks in advance.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Yes I am still active, and if an updated can be made, or is possible then I always try to add it.
The images can't all be the same size in my application,
This has been asked before, and I have answered sorry, as far as this goes all images must be the same size. I have even asked the original author in the scripts forum regarding this (As others) and requests have fallen on deaf ears. Regarding making the source available, I am sorry this is not possible. But I will take any suggestions under consideration. You can always download the original script yourself, then build as an extension if you wish if you can improve on this.
developer

Post by developer »

I had searched but I didn't find this brought up before, so I must have missed that.

The only problem with that is the original source won't have the benefits of all the fixes and mods you added, which would defeat the purpose. I'm just looking for a way to take something that is 98%-workable and make it 100%. This particular application is pure volunteer and there is a plethora of images of varying sizes. I am sure you can appreciate that I can't go back and scale and pad them all with backgrounds, etc. so they fit and look right.

If you do ever decide to go back into your code, perhaps you might consider adding those mods.

Thanks.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ developer Ok I have been looking at this for you. It has come back to me that a "Good" friend here (Jordan) did provide a solution to this. If memory serves me, you will be able to add any image, of any size, even if you only set the container to say 500x300. I will dig through a pen drive for this implement and test before release, be patient I have other things to do and sort first, but I will let you know...:)
developer

Post by developer »

I can't find a beer mug smiley, so a grin will have to do... :D

I started to look at the extension builder out of curiosity and I guess all it really is doing via the gui is supplying the parms to the framework that you tell it to insert, and where. One day I will hopefully have time to play with it and pay it forward with something useful.

My problem is that I just wasted so much time with Joomla (and I mean a lot of time), and WB is an order of magnitude beyond that CMS in terms of productivity, flexibility and ease of use. I'm just sorry it took me this long to find it.

The site I am working on is my personal community site and it is so outdated. All the browser and security changes over the past few years have taken their toll along with links aging away on target sites and since it is not "real" coding work, it comes last. In the history section alone, I have tons of newspaper pics, colorized pics and other images I've put together and they are all just sitting in folders, waiting to be put online.

Your extension will really help. It is the cleanest implementation of that type of gallery that I have found and I think I've tried them all over the past few days.

Thanks, let me know if you need me to beta it if/when, and I owe you a beer! ;-)
developer

Post by developer »

Have you had a chance to look at the code? :-)
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Sorry about this big apoligises. Yes I got round to this, the extra new code does allow you to add any image what ever its size and it will get displayed in the container without it getting overlapped. There is only a small issue and it is the thumbnail navigation arrow on the right, it moves in 1 or 2 pixels so that it not flush with the container above. I would hate to release and get questions regarding this as to some they could live with it but to others it not what they want. I can release but on the understanding that this is there. Again apoligises.
developer

Post by developer »

I can certainly give it a shot if you don't mind. Thanks! :-)
BaconFries

Re: Animated JavaScript Slideshow ***11/09/13***

Post by BaconFries »

Extension is now updated
Animated JavaScript Slideshow ***11/09/13***
developer

Post by developer »

Works nicely. Thanks.

Three suggestions for a future version...

1. In the text fields, if possible, you might want to leave them blank, as most all of them will change and if they don't, then they won't have to be explicitly changed.

2. Auto-generated thumbnail. Ah, that would be nice. (edit:) I see that it will use the original picture for the thumbnail, but I imagine that will be scaling it down. With a large slideshow, this could take some time to load, whereas small versions would load faster.

3. Multi-picture add. Select a slew of pictures to add, and then go through the list and add text as needed.

But, if you were never to touch it again, it is quite nice as-is and I thank you for your work & update!
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I believe all the gallery extensions work this way they all use the same image for both. As mentioned you can make your own thumbnails externally in Photpshop or your choice of editor. You could do it in WB by making a blank page just for the purpose of editing (resizing) by doing this.
1. Add a large image that you wish to use as the main to the page.
2. Now resize to 125x75 resample then save as a jpg.
3. Repeat this for each image you wish to use in the extension.
Please note that it is best to use jpg image optimised to as best resolution as possible rather than the use of png as the output size of png tends to be large. By doing this your images will load faster. This is not a fault of the extension or WB it is well known that any images used for the net should be optimised for use to help render faster when loading in the browser.
developer

Post by developer »

When you go to the extension manager and ask for the gallery extensions, you should see it. Double-check and reply. I have the file, but I think you should be able to download it unless something has recently changed.
developer

Post by developer »

Great!
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Will it work in 7?
No, the extension is for WYSIWYG Web Builder 9 users only. Please note that WB7 is no longer supported and that I cannot offer this extension for any earlier versions anymore sorry.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I can answer you here. Nothing went wrong in the upgrade, the reason why you cannot get this and many other of my extensions is this/they are no longer avaiable to download. I apoligise that this may cause you and many other issues with your projects and not opening due to the extension missing. At this moment I dont know if I can/will release it again I will look at the extension later tonight and will see if it can be recompiled to work in WB10 if not I will post here the results....

***UPDATE***
I have recompiled the extension and will reupload to the Extension Manager asap
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Gino I have recompiled the extension and it is ready, I need to contact Support so that I can set up a new account to share it from theExtension Manager, once I have this you will be able to install it from the extension Manager.

if someone else offers it to you then note that I cannot offer any help with the extension due to it not coming from myself....